Adding Your Own Definitions to SpywareBlaster

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Yuuichi, Aug 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yuuichi

Yuuichi Registered Member

This is probably a pretty stock newbie question, but is there any way to add our own definitions to the client-side database (or server-side, for that matter)?

I just started using SpywareBlaster a few days ago and I've already had some lyrics site's popup spam me with an ActiveX app which I would love to block with a killbit.

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

>> This is probably a pretty stock newbie question, but is there any way to add our own definitions to the client-side database...

Actually, to my knowledge that question has never been asked before. ;)

No, I'm sorry, there is no interface to add your own definitions to the SpywareBlaster database. However, there are two things you could do...

You could post the specific information here regarding the spyware and Javacool can check it out and add it to a future update if appropriate. Or, if you can determine the CLSID of the ActiveX control in question, you could set the kill-bit yourself, manually within the registry.

3. Yuuichi

Yuuichi Registered Member

How do I determine its CLSID? The popup seems to be gone, though for whatever it's worth I got it whenever I went to http://www.musicsonglyrics.com/ while I was looking for some lyrics the day I wrote the initial post.

Oh well... it would still be good to know which information to document. If there's a guide for that, then please point me to it. If not, then maybe you should consider writing one... I'm sure anyone here who's been annoyed by an unwanted ActiveX app would love to send it to its doom.

4. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

I may add a "Custom Blocking" tool in the next version of SpywareBlaster. :)

If you do come across that ActiveX popup again, please save the webpage address and post it here - thanks!

Best regards,

-Javacool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.