Adding more RAM DDR4

Discussion in 'hardware' started by wolfrun, Jul 30, 2020.

1. wolfrun

wolfrun Registered Member

Win 10 64bit. I would like to know if it's possible to add more RAM if BIOS is Single Channel Memory Mode. Currently have 8GB in one slot and the other slot is open. P.S. Have added another DDR4 8GB stick in that open slot but it's not registering. Also, I am NOT a techie so go easy. Never had a problem adding ram in my old Windows 7 rig.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

The fact it in single channel mode has nothing to do with how much RAM you have, or if you can add more. That is determined by the capability of the motherboard - which, sadly, you told us nothing about. :(

You need to look in your motherboard manual and see what the maximum capacity of each slot is, and the type of RAM it supports. You should also visit your motherboard's website and check the Memory QVL (qualified vendors list) to see what RAM is compatible with your board. Then go from there.

Or - visit the Crucial Memory Advisor. This site lets you enter your motherboard information and it will tell you what memory and how much it supports. Or you can download and run their scanner and it will tell you what you have and what RAM it supports. You don't have to buy from that site but if you buy directly from Crucial, they guarantee it will be compatible. Just about all the other RAM makers have similar memory "wizards".

Single channel and dual channel are memory architectures. Dual channel requires two sticks of RAM. "In theory", running in dual channel mode offers significantly better performance. HOWEVER, "theory" and the "real-world" don't always jive and that is the case here. Real-world experience has shown us that the performance gains typically are not very significant, and often are totally negligible, except on paper and benchmark tests, but not in normal tasks.

What is true, however, is more RAM trumps faster RAM.

I don't know why your board does not recognize the additional 4GB. It may be bad or incompatible. Or the slot may be bad. Or the motherboard may not support more than 8GB.

3. wolfrun

wolfrun Registered Member

Mother board is ASRock and I don't have a manual. The ram that was pre installed is ADATA DDR4 2666 PC4-21300 8GB. The ram I purchased is the very same.
    I am getting in touch with the vendor who sold me the ram and the computer and touch bases with them and get to the root of the problem. Thanks for your input.

EDIT: Got in touch with the vendor and he gave me a tip. First take out ram from slot #1 and insert in slot #2. Then insert new ram in slot #1 and it should work. And guess what, it worked. Now have 16GB of ram and am happy as a....clam. LOL :thumb:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  4. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

The model number will be printed on the board. You can then download the manual from the board's website.

And sorry - for some reason I though you said you were adding 4GB, not another 8GB.

Anyway, I'm glad you got it sorted out and all works fine. Thanks for the followup post.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.