Adblocking Goes Mainstream - 2014 Report

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rasheed187, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Yes correct, if you block first party scripts, the site still works, but things like videos don't.

Seems like Axel Springer has demanded that ABP took down posts on their forum about how to evade this block:

https://adblockplus.org/blog/smells-like-censorship-big-brother

2. Rasheed187

3. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

Yeah, Axel Springer seems to be a real freedom of speech supporter! :rolleyes:

4. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

Globalists hate free speech, it might destroy their 'freedom' to make billions out of hundreds of millions of ignorant ones wandering around on this planet.

5. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

Nah, it is just slick marketing talk to explain that the next generation of user-irritation and bandwidth- & CPU drainage will be harder to block.

6. Rasheed187

Well, let's hope they will learn from their mistakes, I haven't got any problems with static ads. BTW, I've noticed that ABP doesn't seem to be blocking certain ads on some sites, it's the first time I saw this. They are sometimes animated, so I'm not happy with this.

Perhaps you all can check it out:

http://www.voetbalzone.nl/
    http://www.moviemeter.nl/film/113

7. Rasheed187

8. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

You are right. I needed to create the rules (you can try perhaps):
    Code:
    ||static.voetbalzone.nl/images/bw*.jpg
    ||static.voetbalzone.nl/images/bw*.gif

9. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

Those aren't ads from ad networks; they are images that are part of the site you are visiting that happen to be ads rather than just a picture/illustration.

10. Rasheed187

OK I see. So perhaps this is the solution to ad blockers? I also saw it over here:

http://videolandaanbod.nl/videoland-aanbod-unlimited/

11. Rasheed187

12. Rasheed187

13. Rasheed187

14. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

15. Rasheed187

16. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Do you now what the IAB is? In a sense, it IS the online advertising industry... it represents and promotes the interests of thousands of companies involved in that space. Read up on it, how it deals with pro-consumer regulation and/or privacy, and look at some of its testimony and comments filed with agencies etc.

17. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Ugh, couldn't have said it better myself.

Websites these days are so clogged up worse than ever before with tons of everything they can possibly squeeze in them where even the most robust of browsers strain to open a fully complete and readable site.

18. Rasheed187

Yes, good point. But still, it seems that at least they're now getting the point. And that is that people are not blocking ads for fun, or to sabotage companies or websites. So hopefully they will come up with new ways to regulate the online ads industry, to fix this problem once and for all.

19. TheWindBringeth

There are probably hundreds of thousands of knowledgeable/experienced individuals within the advertising+related industry and the various trade organizations. Overall, they are well funded, well connected, and very good at what they do. Researching and understanding consumer behaviors and attitudes, including with respect to advertising itself, is a huge part of what they do (past/present/future tense). Overall, there really hasn't been a "get it" problem. It is literally their job/business to get it BETTER than we do, and thanks to countless focus groups and surveys and field testing and scientific studies and hearings and feedback etc etc they DO get things better than we do. Unfortunately, having a good understanding of something doesn't mean your actions have to be good.
    By way of a simple analogy: you are the defendant, the advertising industry is the plaintiff, the IAB is the advertising industry's attorney. Do you expect opposing party's council to work for you? To help you successfully and reliably defend against their client? To work to create new laws and/or other potent regulation that gives you more power to not only defend yourself but also to be able to go after their client? This isn't a movie where an attorney develops a conscious and sabotages their client. In this analogy, opposing council and opposing party are great friends and of same mindset. Opposing council will develop, use, and adjust their strategies in whatever ways they deem best for their client.

That doesn't mean opposing council may not try to convince their client to be, or at least try to create the appearance that their client is being, less offensive... more reasonable... friendly. If you make the mistake of thinking that is them becoming your ally and you lower your guard you are doomed. You have to remember it is strategy and pick apart not only the minute details of that strategy but also the longer term goals of that strategy.

20. Rasheed187

I'm sorry, perhaps I'm misunderstanding your point, but I have to disagree. They did NOT get the point, because it's a mess that the ad companies have created themselves. And they are now forced to rethink their strategy, because of tools like ABP, Ghostery and new initiatives like the Brave browser.

Another disastrous decision would be to simply start blocking people who are using ad-blockers, like some companies have already started to do. Instead of fixing the system, and coming up with ways that will stop people from feeling the need to block ads. I'm interested to see how this all plays out.

21. Rasheed187

BTW, I've already posted this way back, but this is an example of non-intrusive ads, why would I want to block this stuff? It's actually useful. It should be like this on all sites! Come on, this isn't rocket science.

https://officesnapshots.com/

22. TheWindBringeth

Productive mindset: They are very smart, resourceful, calculating, wily, relentless, and mercilessly money driven. They know, far better than I, what strategies to use and at what times in order to maximize their profits. I must never underestimate them.

Unproductive mindset: They don't get it.

23. Rasheed187

24. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

Actually, no. All these studies are just reinforcing their own ideas, not finding out what people really like/want/etc.

25. Rasheed187

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.