Adblock Plus in Microsoft Edge

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Krusty, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

lol. Your fast. :p

2. anon

anon Registered Member

CCleaner is not fast enough, maybe in next monthly release.

3. Phant0m

..maybe anon.

4. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Well it seems that just unchecking Edge cookie cleaning and internet cache in CCleaner isn't enough anymore. ABP is getting reset if I allow CCleaner to touch Edge at all, so I'm back to cleaning all of Edge and live in hope that this might get sorted one day. Until then I'll stick to Cyberfox.

5. anon

anon Registered Member

6. bidd

bidd Guest

Both Adblock options are still available in the Edge extensions store, Adblock by Betafish is the better of the two and works great.

Adguard extension is still in beta and has not yet been released in the Edge extension store.

7. anon

anon Registered Member

Read the previous pages and you will see for what we are talking about. ;)

Again, check the link. I'm talking for Adguard for Windows, not for Adguard AdBlocker Browser Extension....... ;)

8. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

anon, did you buy a license or are you using a trial? Over AU$100 for a lifetime license for two PCs. :(

9. bidd

bidd Guest

Krusty13, wait for one of their promo's to come along as I bought a 2 PC lifetime premium single license early last year for $69

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2016
  10. bidd

bidd Guest

11. anon

anon Registered Member

Just in time (yesterday: Adguard Standard one year free) =
    http://www.giveaway-club.com/promotions/237
    ;)
    -------------------------
    @ bidd,
    No problems.

12. Phant0m

Typical stored Cookies are found in
    %LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\#!001\MicrosoftEdge\Cookies​

You won't see this folder as It's hidden by the protected system folder attribute. You can open up Command Prompt and do a DIR on that location, and you'll see all the stored cookies.

I can delete all these and my AdBlock Plus lists remains in-tact.

CCleaner, is making a change somewhere's and not stating. I don't like cleaners making changes and not listing them. Almost tempted to make my own cleaning product.

Also AdBlock Plus settings are in
    %LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\#!003\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\DOMStore\​

Again hidden. Use DIR /A -S %LOCALAPPDATA%\...

13. The_PrivaZer_Team

The_PrivaZer_Team Developer

Hello guys + @Krusty13,

1. we modified the Edge cleanup in PrivaZer v3.0.8 in order to preserve Adblock Plus settings as requested.
    2. If you select the "remove all" option to clean WebCache files with PrivaZer, your WebCache files will be removed but your Adblock Plus settings in Edge will not be preserved. So, you can choose to clean Internet browsing + Cache in WebCache (see screenshot)
    PrivaZer v3.0.8 is here :
    http://privazer.com/download.php

WebCache cleanup options :

upload_2016-8-20_15-53-55.png

Hope it helps !

14. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Awesome! Thank you for such a speedy resolution. :thumb:

Now the ball is in Piriform's court.

15. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Does that involve a hand crafted whitelist of specific things to preserve or is it a general purpose mechanism that can recognize/preserve browser extension data? IOW, would it automatically retain the data of other extensions that are designed similarly to ABP or would you have to add those as they are discovered?

16. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Something strange is happening here. Sometimes I can run CCleaner and ABP isn't reset, sometimes it is. I've even had ABP reset once and I'm almost certain I didn't even run CCleaner. I don't know if it is after X many times Edge is used or what, but it is almost like M$ don't want any other list used except EasyList. o_O

Very darn frustrating!

17. anon

anon Registered Member

Adguard Premium: Lifetime Subscription
    $39 $119.00 67% off
    https://bitsdujour.stacksocial.com/sales/adguard-premium-lifetime-subscription

https://deals.majorgeeks.com/sales/adguard-premium-lifetime-subscription

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  18. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

For me, it seems that even after Uninstalling Adblock Plus in Edge, it still effectively blocks ads...How is that even possible?

I went to websites that usually contain ads (Such as CNET download), etc., and no ads are showing (As if an ad blocker is installed). I also went to thegamerspost dot com, and it even confirms that something is blocking ads, by displaying an ad block identifier on their page ("AdBlock is on").

I don't know, this is weird.

Can anyone confirm the same behavior?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  19. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

It looks like the latest CCleaner release no longer wipes ABP, LastPass either for that matter. I've checked all cleaning in CCleaner for Edge and ABP has not been reset... so far.

Now, I can't wait until we can add a few more lists. :thumb:

20. Phant0m

Thanks Krusty13. I'll wait and grab the slim package in 10 days. :p

21. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Something really strange has started happening the last few days. I've been using just Fanboy's Complete Adblock List ( available here) and I started noticing on ALL THREE of my machines that EasyList was being recreated, which isn't ideal because that is already included with the Complete Adblock List. So I thought, OK, I'll delete the Complete Adblock list and install Easy List, EasyPrivacy, Enhanced Tracking list, and for fun Fanboy's Annoyance list (available here).

All's well, or so I thought! Now I'm finding that every so often that the Fanboy Annoyance list gets removed some how. I haven't tracked this down yet, but if it is related to the new CCleaner it doesn't get deleted if I run CCleaner, then open Edge.

I'm not getting the "Storage is full", or what ever it is so it's not that.

Anyone else seeing this? Weird!

22. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Even weirder!

On another machine it wasn't the Fanboy Annoyance list that was removed this time but the Enhanced Tracking list. o_O

Maybe Adblock might be a better choice?

23. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

24. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I got sick of ABP because it even stopped blocking ads altogether. I uninstalled ABP and installed the "free" Adblock only to be prompted to "pay what you like". OK, I'd like to pay $0.00!

Edit: Well, so far I don't mind Adblock. I can use the exact same filters I was using in ABP in Firefox and Chrome before I swapped for uBO, and it seems to just work. Maybe I will donate at some point.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  25. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

So much for that short love affair. Even though there was no distinct cookie shown in CCleaner for Adblock, just running CCleaner cleaning other Edge cookies was enough to reset all filters and settings. That is not acceptable to me. I like to clean cookies when I choose and if an Adblock cookie showed up in CCleaner I might have ignored it.

There is also the questionable business practices.

https://palant.de/2014/07/29/which-is-better-adblock-or-adblock-plus

http://readwrite.com/2014/08/01/adblock-plus-switch-adblock/

So for now it's back to ABP beta. :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.