Adblock Plus 2.3.2

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by siljaline, Jul 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

2. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

Merriam-Webster says:
    The Adblock Plus emergency notification mechanism hasn't been introduced at all. It has been mentioned in their formal communication, yes. And now it's in there. But we still don't know what it is, how it works or why it is there in the first place.

Given the less than perfect track record of Eyeo and Adblock Plus of late I can only recommend its frills-free alternative, Adblock Edge.

3. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Is this only speculation of something sneaky going on. Has anything been proven? I've just seen a lot of speculation so far. I will read the thread you referenced though. I already read half of it once before.

4. Cutting_Edgetech

5. siljaline

Auto-update for ABP never works on my PC, thusly I install via AMO or the announcement page.

As screenshot shows - regardless of settings - software never auto updates.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  6. siljaline

7. Cutting_Edgetech

I already know about ABP giving an option to allow harmless ads as they called them. I do not know if that option was enabled by default. Ads is the only source of income for some sites to pay for their hosting. I don't like ads myself, but I have not found any reason not to use ABP unless they are sharing the sites I visit with a third party. I have seen no proof of that, not to say it has not happened. The facts I have so far gives me no reason to stop using ABP. I will copy, and paste this response over at the anti ABP discussion thread. I don't like to get too far off topic in any thread unless it benefits the theme of the thread. Thanks for the update siljaline!

Regards,
    Mike

8. siljaline

Thanks, I like announcing software that I personally run and know others use with a good rate of success.
    I think the whitelisted ads are here. But we don't want to use acceptable ads, do we.

9. Cutting_Edgetech

The same here. I only recommend applications that I have personally used, and has worked well. Thanks for the links! I will look into this matter as I have time. I will make my decision based on my own findings. I don't really know what to define as an acceptable ad. I don't like ads at all, but I understand they are needed for revenue to keep some sites running.

10. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

Would you need this program if your running Admuncher Pro?

11. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

You could use Adblock Plus for the EasyPrivacy filter list only (Tracker blocking)

As far as using both for blocking ads, I would say you'll do just fine using Admuncher Pro alone.

12. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Yes, it is enabled by default.

13. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Yes, it's weird that they would mention this feature without explaining what it does. It is not represented anywhere in the UI either so all they've done is make people wonder what's going on.

14. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

I found this on the new emergency notification mechanism: Adblock Plus • View topic - What is the emergency notification mechanism? - https://adblockplus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16854

I like and use Adblock Plus, since I don't like ads I have turned off the Allow non-intrusive advertising option. I also enabled viewing of the subscription filters so I can see what is in it.

I do allow ads on a few selected sites.

15. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

As a temporary workaround, you can disable the connection/download of the notification data by setting extensions.adblockplus.notificationurl to a blank string. I think that the preference is rewritten to it's original value after an update, though...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.