Adblock Plus 2.2 Released... With a New Feature

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by kupo, Nov 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Adblock Edge is hugely popular? Sir, can you count? A little over 100,000 "users" ((more like downloads)) of Edge compared to millions from ABP. To put it as bluntly as I can without resorting to too much insult, Adblock Edge is really only popular with folks such as yourself who can't stand to have things any other way but you're own. And, unfortunately, unless you're at Burger King, you can't always have it your way. The developer has tried to press advertisers into making cleaner ads via the "evil" "good advertising" optional box. He got yelled at for that. Now he's come up with a decent way to make extra funds without screwing over his customers, another optional feature, and still people can't be happy.

Once again, you can use it or not, you have a choice. But don't tell developers how they should run their projects or how they should make money off of them. Some folks are still living by the antiquated "The customer is always right" line of thinking. And, when it wasn't antiquated, it was still incorrect, because they are not always right.

2. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

Your argument being?

3. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

My argument being, again, you can't have things exactly the way you want them sometimes. You don't like the way the developer is doing things, but it isn't your project, your time and money on the line and unless you plan on providing your own time and money or come up with your own reasonable ideas of how to do things better, you're "s.o.l".

Come now, Pinga. You seem to be treating this like it's some massive breach of privacy and trust along the lines of the many mess-ups by Google and Facebook. This is not even in that same universe. Adblock isn't collecting your payment information from retailers and it isn't supporting the ad industry with its better advertising initiative. The developer is trying to make a living and a difference, and trying to keep a product free for everyone to use. Have you thought about how difficult that is these days?

4. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

Yes - which is why I think it is too bad that Mr Palant is putting his excellent reputation at risk by engaging in his 'acceptable' advertising experiment and milking his typo correction feature. Adblock Edge has a 'donate' button too by the way; it redirects to the Adblock Plus website.

5. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I don't see it. -https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-edge/

Gone? o_O

6. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

As I was doing a bug search today, I found what might be interesting and relevant information regarding what some consider a bad direction for ABP. I don't think Palant is steering the ship anymore: https://adblockplus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11669. A poster by the name of Greiner is now being shown as the developer of ABP.

7. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

8. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

Already found one. I use my FW to block active content.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.