Adblock Edge

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Pinga, Oct 1, 2012.

1. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Ideally, everything would be fully initialized/ready before the browser enters normal operation. However, perhaps we should accept as fact that some items can delay availability for longer than is desired by some users in some contexts. Plus, there are items which by nature only operate after the browser has loaded a page, including those that are very infrequently used (by some users anyway). IOW, the overall application would seem to call for both "critical" and "non-critical" startup items.

The nature of ABP, ABE, and similar extensions is such that they would fall in the "critical" category. Yet, we'd all likely agree that an option to make it "non-critical" would be attractive to some users. I'm not aware of Firefox directly supporting this type of switch and perhaps that is one angle that is worth pursuing. On the other hand, extension developers obviously have a significant level of control over where/when they yield or otherwise delay their own startup and other operations.

2. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Will Adblock Edge be available in Google Chrome anytime soon?

3. Dave0291

Dave0291 Registered Member

I figure it would have already been available by now if it was planned. Edge isn't exactly a new kid on the block, it's been around a good amount of time. You could try out the AdGuard extension in the meantime. It seems to work pretty well from what I can tell so far. I do wish they would make the lists viewable though. I believe they are close to the same as the ABP lists though, for better or worse.

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  4. guest

guest Guest

A big storm in a small glass of water

5. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Oh I see.:(
    Is the extension free for Chrome? Is it available for FF also?

6. Dave0291

Dave0291 Registered Member

The extension is free, yes. I'm not certain as to whether anything is missing from the extension that is available in the paid program, but it seems to be blocking things rather well. That's another reason I wish users could view the entries in the lists, I'd like to know just what 3rd party trackers are covered since they usually aren't visible on a site. I believe the FF version is either in Alpha testing or soon to be.

7. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Ah I see. Thanks.:thumb:

8. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

9. Fidelius

Fidelius Registered Member

Easylist is full of white listed sites.
    Do you know lists without whitelists ?

10. tlu

tlu Guest

Those exception rules are usually there in order to un-break the affected websites. You can deactivate those rules if you want.

11. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

try adblocking via hosts files compared to ABP.

the former usually leads to broken sites, especially multimedia content sites, the latter breaks very little.

On a forum I use for my router custom firmware someone made a guide on how to apply hosts files to the router itself so affects all lan which is a good idea, the problem was the 3 hosts files he provided one of them is what it seems very careless, it was listing various domains that are mainstream companies such as bet365.com, I raised the point on the forum and the guy didn't care. Blocking reduced in its value if you stopping your ability to do stuff you want. That's why ABP has whitelists.

12. tlu

tlu Guest

Yes, hosts files are good to block (sub-)domains but they have 2 big disadvantages:

1. If they break some websites/if there are false positives, it's not possible to define exception rules as in Adblock.
    2. They block (sub-)domains but they are unable to block something like:

Code:
    http://www.nytimes.com/adx/bin/adxrun.html?jsonp ...
    http://graphics8.nytimes.com/bi/js/analytics/comscore.js
    http://graphics8.nytimes.com/bi/js/analytics/webtrends.js
    The first example is blocked by the Adblock filter

.com/adx/

the second and third examples are blocked by the Adblock filter

/js/analytics/

This is simply impossible with hosts files. You would need to block the complete www.nytimes.com and graphics8.nytimes.com sites - that's most probably not what you want ;)

EDIT: I forgot a third big disadvantage of hosts files: They do not support wildcards.
    An entry like

0.0.0.0 *.doubleclick.net

is invalid.

And an entry like

0.0.0.0 doubleclick.net

does not block, e.g.,

2196503.fls.doubleclick.net
    3ad.doubleclick.net
    ad.br.doubleclick.net
    ad-emea.doubleclick.net

and so forth. The need to add all relevant subdomains is the reasons why those publicly available hosts files are that huge.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2014
  13. FPGA 88

FPGA 88 Registered Member

Since Adblock Edge is officially abandoned, or to exact quote:

Discontinued in favor of uBlock, a general purpose blocker, that not only outperforms Adblock Edge but is also available on other browsers and, of course, without "Acceptable Ads Whitelist".

Since Wilders attracts many well informed ears; I wonder, has anyone expressed desire of plan to continue ABE project? Also, those of you who have favored ABE to ABP or ublock, what are your plans now?

I have temporary placed ABP, as for ublock, I had some reservations before so not quite clear at the moment. Ublock Origin is tempting but... really sad that ABE is no more.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.