Adblock Edge

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Pinga, Oct 1, 2012.

1. imdb

imdb Registered Member

could someone tell me what difference switching over to abe makes as long as the subscription lists are maintained by abp authors and fanboy, other than the infamous non-intrusive ads being opted in by default?

2. luxi

luxi Registered Member

Well, the interface is slightly different and it uses an uglier icon. Subscription behavior is unchanged; subscribes and updates lists automatically as normal. All other ad blocking behavior is exactly the same.

3. imdb

imdb Registered Member

just that? meh, it's not worth it then. thanks for the info.

4. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

5. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

6. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

I didn't think it was possible that the icons could get any uglier! :p

7. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

That must be the compatible with the Firefox Australis theme part :)

8. clubhouse1

clubhouse1 Registered Member

Funny I ditched Adblock Plus in favour of Adblock Edge because I didn't care much for the circular style of the ABP icon:rolleyes:

9. 0strodamus

Beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder. :) I've been hacking the ABE xpi file and replacing the icon graphics with the graphics from an old ABP xpi file. You could pretty much replace them with anything you wanted to really.

10. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

11. 0strodamus

Are these your creations Pinga? They're very nice, thanks for sharing!

12. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

13. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

The logo is blue now. I guess they felt the need to differentiate it from standard Adblock Plus.

14. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Anyway to get adblock edge to block social buttons?

15. SouthPark

SouthPark Registered Member

Click the link "Add List" under the first category, "Fanboy Social List" at this page: https://www.fanboy.co.nz/

16. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

17. 0strodamus

Anyone using ABE without any ad-blocking filter subscriptions? I'm combining Bluhell Firewall with ABE using only the Malware Domains filter subscription. So far, all of the ad-laden sites I visit are just as clean as with those huge subscription lists. Bluhell Firewall is pretty amazing. Combined with ABE, I can create custom rules for anything it doesn't catch. Plus Firefox is loading noticeably faster. I'm liking this combo so far! :thumb:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  18. clubhouse1

clubhouse1 Registered Member

Based on your post I've given this combo a try, so far really impressed. It does seem faster and only 30kbs or so!...Thanks.

19. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

Creating your custom list from scratch is quick and easy. First, set Adblock Edge to count filter hits. Visit all your bookmarked sites and browse a bit. Then copy - cut & paste will work - all filter rules with many hits from your filter subscriptions to custom filters. Once you have a custom filter list that works for you, it's not a lot of work to keep it updated. That way, you no longer have to rely on subscriptions; browsing becomes notably faster.

20. 0strodamus

I'm glad to hear it's working well for you too. I got a prompt from Bluhell on a very convoluted redirect yesterday, so there's some more logic going on than simple ad-blocking. It was a pleasant surprise.

I don't plan on going back to any ad-blocking subscriptions, so if Bluhell stops working for me, I'll be using Pinga's advice to create a blocklist. I've noticed in the past that the majority of rules in the subscriptions have zero hits and can be removed.

21. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

Version 2.1.1:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-edge/versions/

22. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

I see "Don't delay Firefox startup" in that list. FYI: somewhere I came across someone reporting that ads had started to get through ABP, and they attributed it to the change discussed here: https://adblockplus.org/development-builds/faster-firefox-startup. I haven't dug into that yet, let alone Adblock Edge's "don't delay Firefox startup" change, but I wonder if the changes are the same or similar. IOW, I wonder if this version of Adblock Edge is [more] prone to missing ads right after browser startup. Is anyone here more familiar with these issues?

23. Alexo

Alexo Registered Member

1) Does ABE import ABP subscriptions, filters and options on installation?
    2) Are all the add-ons that work with ABP compatible with ABE?

Thanks.

24. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

FWIW, I played around with ABE 2.1.1 for a short while. As others have been reporting here and there, I too saw filters being bypassed. It seems one would be most vulnerable in cases like:

1) Your start page triggers ad, tracking, malware, whatever requests that you want to block
    2) Your start page doesn't but quickly after your browser starts up you click on a link to a page that does
    3) Another application launches the browser to load a URL that does

I expect some other variables come into play, but the window of opportunity does seem to exist. It's ridiculous to have to do, but as mentioned by elapsed in the ABP thread, starting up on a safe page and not clicking links on that page too soon and keeping a browser instance running all the time seems like it would be a work around.

It may be possible to modifying the code to unwind the changes, and it may be possible to use another extension to cover this ABE/ABP vulnerability. Ultimately though, particularly given that this was shipped, perhaps full replacement is worth considering.

PS: Also saw the flashing "strip of icons" being discussed in several places. Which appeared in the vicinity of the ABE icon and moved with it when I moved the ABE icon to another bar.

25. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

^ That explains a lot... I can confirm that this is indeed the case. Ever since the update I've noticed ads that I have blocked on my homepage display for a brief moment before vanishing. Now I know why. They should revert back to the way it used to be.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.