AdAware and NISFileCheck

Discussion in 'NIS File Check Forum' started by FanJ, Apr 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FanJ

FanJ Guest

In the forum-parts Privacy Problems and Privacy Software you can read much about Radlight trying to remove AdAware.
    In the Privacy Software forum-part you can read about some fine programs which can warn you about those attempts by Radlight.

Can NIS File Check and File Change Alarm you also warn about those attempts by Radlight?
    Yes!

What it seems to be about is that Radlight is trying to remove the file ad-aware.exe and the reference-file reflist.sig from your system.
    If I understood that right, then both NIS File Check and File Change Alarm are able to warn you that such a removal took place. But keep in mind that this warning will only be given after such a removal took place. So it is not pro-active.
    Both NIS File Check and File Change Alarm are free.

NIS File Check:

This program is capable to warn you about changes in files which are in his database, or the removal of such files.
    For more info and guidelines how to use NIS File Check see:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=545

NIS File Check does not warn you in real time.
    You have to run NIS File Check by yourself.

Ad-aware.exe

By default all .exe files of your C drive are in the database of NIS File Check.
    But maybe you did choose not to use the default settings of it.
    In that case you can do two things: you can create another database for the .exe files, or you can add the .exe files to your existing database. I think the second choice is the easiest one.
    Start NIS File Check, you will see all the files in its database.
    Go to: Files > Add files on extension.
    In the window that now comes up, you see a box above which is written: Add files with the extension.
    If in that box you don’t see the extension exe, then just simply put it there.

In case your AdAware files are not on your C drive, but let us say on your D drive, then have a look at the same above mentioned window. Look at the box Drives to check. If D is not mentioned there, just add it.

Now hit Cancel.
    Then go to Files > Search for new files (based on Add files on extension).
    And now ad-aware.exe is added to your database, if it was not already in there.

Again I advice to have a good look at the thread about the guidelines for NIS File Check to read how to use it.

Reflist.sig

This is the reference-file of AdAware.
    Such a file with extension .sig is not by default in the database of NIS File Check.
    You can do two things: add all files with extension .sig to your database, or only add manually the file reflist.sig to your database.
    Let us take the example in which you only want to add the file reflist.sig to your database.
    Start NIS File Check.
    Go to: Files > Add a file.
    A new window comes up. Simply browse to the directory where your AdAware-files are placed.
    Make sure that in the box File-type (Sorry, I have the Dutch version of Windows, so I do not know exactly the name in English) all file-types are mentioned.
    Now click on reflist.sig and then on Open, and the file reflist.sig is new added to your database.
    When you save your database, make sure that your database is saved in the NIS File Check directory.

Again I advice to have a good look at the thread about the guidelines for NIS File Check to read how to use it.

File Change Alarm:

This is the brother of NIS File Check.
    It runs only on W2000, NT, XP.
    What NIS File Check is not capable to do, can File Change Alarm do: give you a warning in real time.
    Since I only run W98SE, I cannot tell you much about it with respect to the monitoring of the AdAware files; I hope Albert will jump in.

Adinf32:

This is not a program from Albert. It is made by the same company that sells the anti-virus program DrWeb. Adinf32 is not free. Adinf32 is also capable to warn you for any changes in files (change, delete, add). By default almost every file on your system is in its database. So Adinf32 can also warn you for changes in the AdAware files. Adinf32 does not give warnings in real time. You can start Adinf32 by yourself, and/or let it start the first time Windows starts in a day, or with every start of Windows.

I hope this all helps.

2. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Very Good FanJ !!!!   :D

Technodrome

3. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Thanks Technodrome !  :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.