AD shuts down after nag screen????

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by Rodehard, Dec 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rodehard

Rodehard Registered Member

I installed the AD beta as soon as it came out. Suddenly two days ago it started shutting down after I told the nag screen to go away. Shuts down completely even though I disabled AD and have a licensed copy of RD. Doesnt show in taskmanager either so I know its completely terminated. I thought the beta wasnt time bombed and why would it close the whole suite with a licensed copy of RD installedo_Oo_O So do I have to un install AD to keep RD?

2. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

Rodehard,
    As far as I am aware the beta doesn't have any time limitations so you must be experiencing a bug. It might be worth emailing Jason with your security setup (which is best kept private) and seeing if that helps him understand and fix the problem that you are having

If this beta version is not behaving well for you, its easy enough to go back to the release version of GSS/RD and wait for the next GSS/RD/AD beta to come out. Seeing as the idea of a public beta is to provide feedback you might want to give Jason a day or so to respond before you switch back (if you feel comfortable with that)

You could possibly try running the Event Viewer (eventvwr.exe) and looking in the Application Log to see if there are any entries for gss.exe in there (exclude Infomation messages and just show Warning and Error types to make it easier to find)

Regards

3. berng

berng Registered Member

You could try beta GSS and RD without installing AD, if that's possible. I see in the control panel ADD/REMOVE program list there is only the option to remove GSS. I think options to only remove RD and AD should also be present.

4. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

berng,
    I think that request has already been made in the wishlist thread
    In the current beta you can change the profile for either component to be disabled and then it should act as if it is not there.

5. berng

berng Registered Member

Hi gottadoit,
    I know you can disable but I mean really remove so in the GSS interface the component is not present at all.

6. Rodehard

Whew, had to uninstall AD because of BSODs. I know its my fault just not sure where I broke it. I'm running the KIS2006 beta also and all was just peachy until I noticed yesterday that GSS had shut down (this was not happening prior to KIS build 232 installed two days ago). I then realized that it was happening right after I told the AD nag screen to go away( GSS terminated by csrss.exe). Soooo, well we will just stop that, and I installed my licensed copy of PG just for the termination protection. BIG mistake, even after configuring all these apps to ignore and allow each other I would get a BSOD almost as soon as the OS finished booting up.
    At this point I'm not sure I could post a coherent string of events. I had enabled hook protection in KIS and suspect that it created a conflict with AD which somehow was causing GSS to be closed after the nag screen. Introducing PG to the mix seemed to be a fatal mistake at the time. I now have PG installed but disabled and just Reg-defender along with KIS. This seems to be stable. I will play with this and see how it goes over the next few days.

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Rodehard

I've been beta testing KAV and gave it up for now. Looking at the forum the lastest KIS is not stable. I would start by taking it off.

Pete

8. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Sounds like a a case of too many betas spoiling the broth :)

It can get very confusing running more than one beta at a time IMHO and I know that KIS is giving problems to many testers.
    May be you should set up virtual machines for each beta? That way might enable you to seperate the wood from the trees.

Cheers. Pilli

9. Rodehard

Oh believe me I know better and actually should not have posted this thread until I had thought things through but you know how it is sometimes when your up to your knees in alligators. Thanks for the replies though and I will try not to post self induced problems in the future.:D

Harmony has been re established.

10. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

There should be a checklist when posting a bug request on any forum :-

1) Are you using a beta product from KAV?

;)

11. Rodehard

KAV and GS, the two best products out there IMHO. How could I resist the urge to play. I don't have to, I could give them up at any time. I DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM!!!:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.