Ad Muncher Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by arsenaloyal, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

We don't consider video ads removed unless the time the ad took is removed as well.

which is what we did for 4 years before the encryption.

2. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

Check the category "Retrieved URLs" under the Logs tab of Ad Muncher when you see an ad in skype.

if there's something there then it can be removed otherwise not(yet).

3. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Now there's the dilemma. The ads are atrocious and excessive, especially considering you get them in the same amount whether you pay for the service or not. But, watching those ads may be the only way that particular service can exist. It wouldn't surprise me at all that the networks forced it and not Hulu itself (I don't have any knowledge on whether that is true or not) .

4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

@Jeffery,

Interesting - thanks.

5. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

Thank you Jeffrey, your reply has helped because I have now checked and the top ad always gets blocked with a reference to doubleclick ad-emea in the logs, but it's the smaller ad below the contacts photos that doesn't always get blocked.

However, after doing some tests to check the effects of opening Skype with Ad Muncher enabled and then disabled, this other ad is not always present anyway so it seems Skype just puts this in when they feel like it but when they do I don't see any reference to it in the logs like I do with the top ad.

So I'm guessing that this intermittently included ad which seems to have flash content may also be blocked in the future version of Ad Muncher which will be great and well worth waiting for.

In the meantime I have to say this... after many years of using Ad Muncher I simply couldn't use the internet now without this totally amazing application. It just makes everything so clean and wonderful. I would like to say a huge thanks to you Jeffrey for the obvious dedication you give to this and to all the other members of your team for providing what I now consider as an essential part of my online experience.

6. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Anyone know if Hulu gets credit for the ad being viewed if it is blocked in the fashion as you describe?

7. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

I'm glad I could be of service. :)

Thank you for the kind words.

While I thoroughly enjoy my job in every way, feedback like this is the icing on the cake. :)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  8. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I doubt it. I'm not sure if they even get "credit", or it's all just one large automated operation just to please the networks. But they're surely going to know when ads are being blocked, especially by paying members.

9. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

If we can successfully block them in v5.x they won't be able to know.

10. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Very interesting. V5 can't come soon enough, lol. I'm itching to get my hands on it.

11. Bodhitree

Bodhitree Registered Member

NOTHING is filtering the ads on "Patch" network.. Not even Admuncher;

http://www.patch.com/

Tried Adblock, etc.. No joy either.

12. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Did you try manually "Munching" them? I came across a grocery ad I was able to kill manually. Some ads though, they're still there even after manually blocking them on many sites. I also keep running into ads that can't be blocked manually, aren't blocked automatically and, when you report the damn things, Jeff can't find them, I go back to the site and the offending ad is gone, making me look stupid. Some ads you'd think would be already blocked, like any from the Doubleclick network are stubbornly getting through, are gone after you manually kill them, but return when you later visit the site again. It's all frustrating and makes me feel like I'm playing the Noscript game.

13. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Are you talking about Adblock Plus?
    Because AdBlock (Chrome extension) is taking ads out, except for that grocery ad that Mman79 mentioned, but it's easily manually blocked with AdBlock.

14. Bodhitree

Nothing is removing them, the Allstate ad won't munch either. The grocery one can be manually munched, so hopefully a filter is added for it. I tried Adblock/ABP, it doesn't remove anything from that page.

This is the first ad I found admuncher not removing in a good bit of time!

15. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I didn't see any AllState ad.
    Why don't you post a screenie of the ads you see.
    I'm telling you, I get none with AdBlock.

16. Bodhitree

Here is what I see, and I tried ABP and they weren't blocked. Might depend on filter list?

Attached Files:

17. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I'm not sure what to do about the AllState ad as I didn't see one in my brief time there. The grocery one is all over the place though. Which Adblock/ABP lists are you using anyway? I've always used the "Ultimate" list and rarely had anything slip through. Those that did were often as hard to get rid of as the ones that keep coming back after I manually kill them in AM or can't kill at all. I'm assuming these ads are changing servers the next time they load, and the old blocked URL doesn't do anything.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  18. Bodhitree

I tried every list on this;

http://adblockplus.org/en/subscriptions

All at the same time as well.. Nothing blocked on Patch.. So until I hear back from Jeff, Admuncher may be the first to block these.

19. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

At the same time? My god, is your browser alright? :D If the ad wasn't killed by the Ultimate list, and you couldn't manually block it with ABP/AdBlock, I have little faith AM is going to do it. That's a hardcore ad right there, lol.

20. Bodhitree

I never run adblock, just admuncher. But to try and test I was running them, and uninstalled the extension immediately after.

21. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

thanks for the report guys. :)

I've cleaned all patch.com sub-domains for build 4404.

all tracking and ads removed.

22. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

You shouldn't need to do any manual blocking.

Don't feel bad when reported ads aren't always visible.

I will get them eventually. :)

keep reporting ads, that's the best advice I can give you guys.

If you see an ad with Ad Muncher, no one has reported it yet, that's all. :)

23. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

how's the patch.com update?

24. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

Jeffrey, please do excuse the question here but when will you be getting your own forum tidied up.
    Seems to be a spammers paradise these days.
    Thanks in advance :)

25. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hi Jeffrey,

Do you mind looking at -www.tvguide.com (especially -www.tvguide.com/listings - the one I frequent the most)? I have to do a lot of manual blocking at this site...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.