Ad Muncher Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by arsenaloyal, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I learned something, today...:D

ScreenShot_AdMuncher_tip_01.gif

2. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Yeah, it's really smart and handy thing. I love to report an ad by this way ... It's highly addictive :D

3. max2

max2 Registered Member

God dawn your now your going to get me to reporting 100s of ads. :D

4. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Funny, I don't report ads, at all...I might deprive someone of something that may be essential to their life. :D

5. pegas

pegas Registered Member

:D ... maybe thousands ... seriously ... AM advert & anti-social lists are so comprehensive that I don't have many opportunities to report ads :) I realized that recently I have been more reporting the blocked sites than ads and if I recall correctly the anti-social list has been culprit in a few cases but Jeff learned me how to work with logs to identify the entry that causes the problem.

6. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

What's the status of Ad Muncher development in filtering https sites such as Facebook and Youtube?

I have read that such development has been ongoing for a long time but don't want to renew if it's going to be another several months (or years).

thanks

7. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Yeah, as far as I know they (Murray & Jeff) are still working on v5. When I was buying the lifetime license during last X-mas I thought that within 6 months at latest I will have v5. Unfortunately 10 months have gone and no new version yet. Anyway I don't regret having bought the lifetime license as v4 is still far the best ad blocker ever. Though, to get v5 would be icing of the cake. :)

8. acr1965

I think I got my first license when AM was version 4.3 but that was over a decade ago. It's been on version 4.9 for three years now. It's a nice program and I like it but ~ Snipped as per TOS ~, how long does it take to move forward and be able to filter https? A date to look forward to would be nice. This whole waiting and waiting for year after year is just freaking ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2013
  9. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

Trust me, there's no point in asking when the next version (especially version 5.x) of AM will be released.

10. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Has anyone noticed that if you turn on Off-road mode in Opera 17 Ad Muncher stops to filter webpages? Upon disabling the mode Ad Muncher starts to filter again.

It's odd. I like to use the Off-road mode as it speeds up browsing on my PC but without AM being able to filter communication I hesitate to use it.

11. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

^ Doesn't Opera's Off-road mode rely on Opera servers to serve webpages and compress images? That could be why Ad Muncher doesn't work with it.

12. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Yes. You described it correctly BUT in old Presto Opera if you turn on Turbo Mode (what is more less the same with Off-road) AM filters webpages. Moreover Adblock works in Opera 17 regardless on Off-road is on or off. So there has to be a way to filter communication going through Off-road.

13. imdb

imdb Registered Member

i'd def'ly get muncher if only it were cheaper and had less impact on system. though it's been over a year since the last time i tried it. so it might've progressed. but not in the price department though. that's for sure. :p

14. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

What system impact?

The only impact should be a positive one.

faster loading pages, no ads.

nothing negative should happen.

15. pegas

pegas Registered Member

If it was not mentioned I would probably never pay attention to it but I also feel that AM slows browsing in Opera Chromium (15+). If AM is disabled webpages are full of ads but it seems they load faster.

Is there any particular AM setting that should be causing this lag or is it general issue?

16. imdb

imdb Registered Member

like pegas says in his above post, there was a considerable slow down in browsing speed when i used muncher. somehow it had such an impact on page load times.

17. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

That is not normal.

I've never experienced this on any computer with Ad Muncher.

pages load instantly.

any browser.

This has to be due to a 3rd party conflict.

18. acr1965

JeffreyCole do you have an update as to how soon it will be before admuncher filters https traffic? Two of the sites I visit often (Youtube and Facebook) are running as if admuncher wasn't even there.

19. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

Can't really give you a specific date.

but you can manually change the HTTPS to HTTP for youtube and then it stays HTTP for the duration of your visit.

you can disable HTTPS in your facebook settings.

I know it's not ideal, but only as a stop gap measure.

20. imdb

imdb Registered Member

i don't know, might be. could you name known conflicting 3rd parties (if there is any)?

21. acr1965

OK, well yeah you are probably right that it's not ideal.

Another issue is that I thought AM blocked tracking cookies. Well I see an ad for Microsoft OneNote displayed on my hotmail accocunt. I click on it and take a look at the sale which is on the MS Office website. I also get an email on yahoo about the same time which is an ad for a home owner's insurance policy that I look at. I then go to facebook and the first ads I see are for MS Office OneNote and one about home owner's insurance. I don't think this is pure coincidence. I understand that AM cannot filter ads on https sites but is there also a problem with blocking tracking cookies that are on https sites like hotmail and facebook?

22. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

Anything sent over the HTTPS connection is invisible to Ad Muncher.

That includes cookies.

23. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

In hindsight, you probably shouldn't have mentioned you were working on v5 which is a major code re-write of the program. People have been and are still waiting for further news on this over 12 months later.

When you decide to develop v6, don't announce anything until it's ready.

24. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Just thought you may want to read what Jeff has replied me on AM official forum.

25. d0t

d0t Registered Member

v5 will come as soon as TrojanHunter cloud comes out :argh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.