Ad Muncher 50% off

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by The Seeker, Dec 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

Yeah, right... :rolleyes:

2. Bodhitree

Bodhitree Registered Member

Development does appear slow, but the developers appear very deliberate, and considerate in their decisions. That's not necessarily a bad thing, right? We have all seen how rapid, sometimes reckless development ruins products, or has unintended consequences. Let's have none of that with this - please.

My issue won't be solved because to solve it they would have to allow 'some' ads on youtube, and he will not do that. I have found a workaround to it, and the developer is correct in that if he implemented what I wanted 'some' ads might slip through, that's not a workable solution.

3. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

There's ads which it can't stop but I suppose there are issues for pretty much every product out there. The only real issue I've ever had with AdMuncher was back when a person was forced to use the beta builds in order to get the daily updates. If you were not using the beta builds you could not get updates, which I thought was pretty classless. My position was that I did not purchase a license to become a lab rat for their company. But fortunately the forced beta use is no longer policy.

4. Bodhitree

Do you have any examples of ads it can't stop? I ran it for a few days before purchasing it, and couldn't find any.

I picked up licenses due to them being 50% off, and the fact that they will be going up next year with 5.0 due out. Better safe than sorry. But mostly because I was able to get good support during testing from them directly, and because quite frankly, it sped up browsing. (page load timer)

5. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

The license fees are going up? What kind of service do they think they're providing here? Lol, it's ad-blocking software, good grief.

6. Bodhitree

I should say 'the licensing fee MAY go up'.. It's a powerful, effective piece of software. It also speeds browsing up in my experience testing it, I was impressed. Not much impresses me, this does. I also respect the developers for focusing entirely on working against ads, and not branching out to spyware or malware filtering nonsense. It makes it small, fast, and effective for the purpose. I was skeptical, now I am a customer.

Remember, since it stops ads at the port level, it works in everything that uses those ports, such as within steam, or various VOIP softwares, Email Clients, or whatever else. A lot of ads are served through embedded browsers, this fixes those as well. It even blocks ads within an email client embedded into the email itself. So there are quite a lot of advantages.

7. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I just cannot see paying what they charge now for ad-blocking, let alone more. I would be very shocked if its power didn't cause a lot of problems, especially for software that is "ad-supported" I wonder, does it stop Skype ads? Because that stuff is very persistent no matter what you try to throw at it in my experience.

8. acr1965

Youtube when using https, and my Chrome (SRware Iron) browser will only connect https on Youtube. There's also the audio on the yahoo scoreboard pages that plays automatically. There was a temp fix to it but that didn't last long.

9. Bodhitree

Admuncher doesn't scan any HTTPS, but many products do not because of security concerns. However 5.0 is supposed to have HTTPS. Can't find anything on yahoo it doesn't block, and I do have it set to block sounds from loading. But this doesn't block flash sounds, otherwise it would block videos and other things you actually wanted. Already found that out when testing it.

SRWare shouldn't default to HTTPS, you might have https-everywhere installed. Either way, there are tiny extensions just to block youtube stuff. I use MagicActions - amazing extension, but also blocks youtube ads by default. Until Admunch scans HTTPS which is in the next version allegedly.

10. acr1965

The latest SRware Iron has a predefined rule for Youtube and always logs in https. The yahoo sound loading was from their baseball scoreboard, such as here - http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/scoreboard?d=2012-09-01 . They had a fix for the autoplaying of audio broadcasts but Yahoo apparently changed however they were loading it and AM couldn't block it the last month of the season. I suspect it'll all be back again once Spring Training starts up in March. AM is notorious for slow development production, maybe it's a money thing, who knows. I've ran AM for probably 4-5 years and they have had a couple upgrades during that time. And they have scrapped some upgrades after development did not go so well. If they have been saying version 5.0 has been developed for a year then I would be surprised to see it released in 2013.

11. Bodhitree

I don't hear any sounds, so maybe they fixed it. I don't like Iron, mostly because Chromium is faster and still has all of the spy stuff out of it, but also because of the developer being quesitonable, having his own terribad appstore(extensions), and the leaked chat of him laughing about 'suckers' using his browser which he was using to farm clicks.. Anyway AM does appear to have snails pace in development. Before I bought it I was looking up patch notes, only just a couple versions ago they were talking about supporting Vista, so I know it is slow. However, it WORKS really good, and speeds browsing, so I dropped some cash on it, and so far so good.

I did try multiple free similar products, with terrible results;

Adfender slowed browsing to a crawl.Karma needed too much work/tweaking. Adguard is very powerful, and also stops spyware/malware, and uses hpHOST that MBAM uses. But I also found it slowed my browsing - sadly. (like MBAM does) http://malwaretips.com/Thread-AdGuard-better-than-AdMuncher-and-Adblock

So after much debate, much testing, and much talking with the developers of Admuncher, I purchased a license. So far so good, it's rejected(at the port level) over 1 GB's of ads already since installation. Impressive.

12. acr1965

You don't hear any sounds because there are no live braodcasts of baseball games being played. The season ended a couple months ago. But I imagine when Spring Training fires up in March there will start being the live braodcast audio when I go to the scoreboard page. I like Yahoo's page because it's simple and loads fast and is easy to navigate. Plus I partly make a living betting baseball games so I pretty much have to read every box score, every game of the year. So the noise blaring out on the yahoo scoreboard page effects me more than most other people. I need to find another scoreboard somewhere but most have too much useless junk included.

Do you have any links to any web pages with info about these allegations?

13. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I've seen a couple of links in Google referring to this leaked chat, however, it's only to posters on other forums claiming it happened, and no actual logs/proof. That said, Iron is obviously nothing more than a way to take advantage of what was and still is pretty much a non-issue.

14. guest

guest Guest

""But fortunately the forced beta use is no longer policy.""

It must still be because I had a old version that I had burnt to CD
    and installed it to get rid of the stalling when Ad Muncher went to
    load some pages, it fixed the stalling problem but would not update
    to the new filters

This also proves they changed something since Version 4.72:thumbd:
    I think that is the version I installed

15. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

Hello guys.

I'm one of the Ad Muncher devs. :)

I was sent to this site by a few of our users who were concerned with some of the incorrect information being shared here.

I'd like to clear this up and answer any questions you guys might have.

@acr1965
    There is no forced beta update policy.

Every time a beta was required to continue to get filter list updates it's because the filter engine was updated. The new filter lists would either crash Ad Muncher, your browser, cause page damage or some other unwanted behavior. We added new filtering categories quite often back then. Also our betas are more stable than other software companies final releases. We are not forcing our users to be "beta" testers. Everything we do is in the best interest of our users.

As for yahoo scoreboard videos. We absolutely can remove them.

There shouldn't be any ad that Ad Muncher can't remove.

when the season starts again, please contact me and I will remove them for you.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

@Mman79
    Yes Ad Muncher can stop many ads in skype. There may be a few that you see now and then, we will attempt to address those in v5.x since SSL filtering will be needed.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, Ad Muncher is not locked to your hardware.

You can always move your license to a new computer.

Only when a single computer licenses is used on two computers could there be a problem.

As for the question of why not just use Adblock Plus?

I'll try to be be brief.

Adblock Plus can hide and block.

And then only in a basic manner.

Ad Muncher can do the following:
    add
    remove
    modify
    replace
    block
    hide

This allows us almost total control over HTML/JS/CSS

including adding custom JS or CSS to control how a page looks or behaves.

There are many forms of ads that we can remove that are simply impossible for ABP to remove.

Here are some examples:
    http://www.linky.gr/EN0Hxr <--- forces you to wait and then click to continue.

Slideshows can start with ads, even if ABP blocks the ad the user is forced to click something to start the slideshow. sometimes blocking the ad breaks the slideshow.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/04/28/realestate/20100428-sting.html
    http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2012/12/23/realestate/20121223-OTMNYC.html

Also popular is inserting ad breaks during a slideshow:
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/motorcycles/the-10-best-buys-in-2012-motorcycles
    http://www.computerworld.com/slideshow/detail/71972
    http://www.networkworld.com/slideshows/2009/100609-layer8-algorithm.html

Ad Muncher deals with all of these annoyances automatically and without user intervention. ABP is powerless. Ad Muncher also does it for every program on your computer and not just browsers.

Programs like the ever popular Curse Client:
    http://www.curse.com/client

which has ads. Ad Muncher removes the ads in both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions. Over 220 applications are filtered by default.

As for https pages. SSL filtering is almost done and will be in v5.x

v5.x is also almost complete. 2013 is going to be a great year for Ad Muncher.

if there are any other questions you guys might have feel free to reply to my post and I will do my best to answer them.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  16. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

of course this is the case. :)

v4.72 is completely out dated.

There have been many changes to the filtering engine, including new filtering categories since them. The latest filter list isn't compatible.

My custom filter list is the default list. So there is no way for us to maintain and test separate filter lists for each version.

since we do our best to make each new version of Ad Muncher better than the previous this shouldn't be an issue.

17. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Welcome to Wilders JeffreyCole.

18. acr1965

Hello. I indicated that there was a forced beta policy at one time (which is true). There is no longer a forced beta policy. I have posted about the yahoo audio on the AM forum in the past and it was temporarily fixed but the problem returned. I'll try to address it again once Spring Training fires back up. Hopefully Yahoo ditches the audio as it is very annoying. Thanks for the info.

19. Bodhitree

Wow nice reply by Jeff, which gives me more confidence in my already confident purchase!

20. guest

guest Guest

"""of course this is the case. v4.72 is completely out dated""

Then why don't you fixed the stalling on loading pages problem

I thought at one time this was Palemoon so I installed a old version
    of it that I knew work right with Ad Muncher and it still stalled on
    some pages, that is why I installed a old version of Ad Muncher
    to try to find out what was causing this even though the old version
    would not update the filters it worked find with no stalling whatsoever
    and it was filtering ad's otherwise it worked correctly just wouldn't update

something has change since 4.72 and at least one of the changes was not good
    I would love to start running it again because I consider it far better than
    Ad Block

21. Bodhitree

Can you provide examples of page stalling? I haven't seen it yet, and admuncher has filtered nearly 2GB of ads thus far.

Not saying it doesn't happen, but maybe I don't go to sites where it does?

22. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

Not to put to fine a point on it, there never was such a policy.

When internal changes necessitate locking out older versions from accessing the newer filter lists we will continue to do it.

The "beta" versions have always been free so it never forced anyone to pay to get updates during their license period. That would have been morally dubious.

We also work on the beta versions to make sure they are stable enough so if locking the list updates to the beta is warranted, no one is actually negatively effected.

ok, I'm done with this particular subject. don't want to sound like I'm scolding anyone. :D

Are there any other question any of you guys might have?

23. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

We look into and fix all repeatable bugs.

I consistently browse 10+ hours per day and I don't get any stalling.

Does it stall in all browsers or only a specific browser?

Does it stall if you just install Windows and Ad Muncher is the only application installed? (along with the browser of course)

there are many things that could come into play here.
    firewalls, AV's, browser add-ons or other 3rd party security applications.

Install the latest version and lets see if we can't duplicate your findings.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  24. guest

guest Guest

I will re-install after the holidays are over and get back to you either here
    or over on your forum's

When it does it, it will say page intercepted by ad muncher in the process
    bar or something of that effect and then you will just have to hit reload
    and then it will load just fine, I'm not sure what's going on

I just recently uninstalled it so this has not been long ago that this was a problem but it has been doing it for a while now, just got tired of it, but I do think your program is the best out there:thumb:

About the beta's being forced, like I said I been with Ad Muncher a long
    time and at one time when you updated it would update the filters but
    it would also update even more filters if you installed the beta's
    maybe the extra filters were only compatible with the new beta's:rolleyes:

25. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

this is done for the user's own protection and to prevent us from being flooded with tons of bugs reports for broken pages or crashing Ad Muncher. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.