Ad Blocker For Internet Explorer 10

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by internet addict, Mar 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. internet addict

internet addict Registered Member

Does anyone know where I can find an ad blocker for IE 10? Right now I'm using Simple Adblock but it only allows blocking of 200 ads per day with the free version.

2. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

Ad Muncher is the best ad blocker for any browser, paid or otherwise.

www.admuncher.com

3. internet addict

Ad Muncher is excellent but I'm not willing to shell out the money for an ad blocker. Any free alternatives?

4. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

See this thread for alternatives and suggestions.

It would appear that some think their software is the bees knees :cautious:

5. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

The proof is in the pudding. :)

6. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

7. siljaline

Thanks for pointing that out, there will be more. The IE Team at MS needs to address one major outstanding query on TPL's ...aka... Tracking Protection Lists, are they fully supported under IE 10.

8. internet addict

I subscribed to Fanboy's TPL and EasyList. They seem to be working fine.

9. BBCooper

BBCooper Registered Member

Please share your impressions with us soon, I'm sure it will help this forum members (including myself) :D

10. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

The problem is that IE10 won't automatically update the TPLs, and there's no fast and easy way for 99% of IE10 users to manually update them either.

11. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Seriously?! It just downloads the rules once and can't be configured to retrieve updates periodically?! Is that how IE's TPL functionality has always worked or is this some new bug or TPL weakening feature?

12. m00nbl00d

With Internet Explorer 9, they would automatically update. There's no setting for it that the user can change (maybe some registry hack?). Internet Explorer simply sees a "setting" in the TPLs themselves that say the number of days it's valid for. Based on that, it will update the TPL. I believe that's how it works in the background. Maybe a bit different...

For some reason, Internet Explorer 10 seems to be ignoring this. Not sure if it's a bug or not, but other users have reported it more than half a year ago to Microsoft, and it's still not fixed.

I don't know if it's a bug in IE10 or if Microsoft changed something in the way the Tracking Protection List mechanism works now, that will make the TPLs not update. :doubt: But, I believe that if something had changed, then the TPL authors would have made the appropriate changes on their side?

13. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

ie10-update-tpls.ps1
    Code:
    $wc = New-Object System.Net.WebClient
    Get-ChildItem 'HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Safety\PrivacIE\Lists' | ForEach-Object {
    $item = Get-Item HKCU:\$_
    $source = $item.GetValue('Url')
    $dest = $item.GetValue('Path')
    $wc.DownloadFile($source, $dest)
    }
    Source

14. TheWindBringeth

Interesting, thank you. FWIW, two I checked:

http://easylist-msie.adblockplus.org/easyprivacy.tpl
    http://www.fanboy.co.nz/adblock/ie/fanboy-noele.tpl

both have msFilterList as the first line and also have a ": Expires=N" entry. Which really should be close enough to ": expires = 5" to work (note first character case difference and spaces) and there is actually an example that uses ": Expires=3", but someone might want to try the exact format shown in the rule table @ http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh273399(v=vs.85).aspx

Perhaps investigating (via procmon for example) how IE9 behaves when installing a TPL and also when updating one would shed light on any special registry keys. Someone might also look to see if there is a scheduled task that handles updating the TPLs, which for some reason exits stage left when IE10 is installed.

Looking at examples (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...d=ed57d278-b04b-476e-a9cf-cf9895da9c2e&page=2) it appears it might be easy to roll your own updater. Which of course isn't ideal for those less technical users.

Edit: Forgot to mention trying turning OFF the Do Not Track feature. Yeah I know that doesn't make sense, but then who knows. If it isn't already obvious, I don't use IE or have IE10 or would play around myself.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  15. m00nbl00d

Regarding the PowerShell script, those running PowerShell version 3 can opt to use a built-in commandlet called Invoke-WebRequest. More info on it: -http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh849901.aspx

I personally don't use it, as I don't let PowerShell itself connect out. I use alternative ways, which still allow me to use PowerShell for the scripting part.

16. welph

welph Registered Member

Here you go:
    When starting IE9 the following values under the key(s)
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Safety\PrivacIE\Lists\{GUIDS}\ are read by iexplore.exe:
    Name
    Enabled
    Url
    TTL
    LastUpdate

If LastUpdate is more than TTL days ago, IE9 will download the list when you start surfing the web.

When starting IE10, the values TTL and LastUpdate are not read (not accessed). It looks like the routine to update the TPLs either doesn't exist at all or gets skipped for whatever reason.

17. TheWindBringeth

Kudos and thank you for looking at it and sharing what you saw :) I didn't post about it, but I did very quickly look at IE9 on a Win7 box. I stripped the first digit from the LastUpdate registry value to force an update. I don't remember when the keys were read, but I do remember that either the firewall or network sniffer revealed that upon launch IE9 didn't immediately re-retrieve the TPL. There was a short delay which I didn't measure. Lets call it 20 seconds for purposes of discussion. Did you notice that with your IE9? Did you give IE10 a little while just in case it's delay was longer?

18. siljaline

Before going forth with any hacks as the ones described, at least back-up your Registry first. Since MS has not signed off on any of these and I don't see any evidence that any of the folks that write TPL's are in agreement with these, I would not prescribe to the supposed "tweaks" to allow the TPL's to update as they should.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.