Ad-Aware updates

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by guitarelf, Oct 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hydra

Hydra Registered Member

Hi ..
    I have still not been able to get an update from AdAware. 14/10/06
    I am finding the manual updates on the Major Geeks site. and have no problem installing them.

This seems a long time for AdAware to fix this problem ? I guess some one has told them about this ??
    No trouble with Spybot , AVG (Ewido) ,AntiVir , Spyware Blaster etc .
    So I doubt if it is a problem with my XP Pro sp2

I got the new format mini downloads form Spybot the otherday. At last they are doing incremental updates instead of their very large ..slow .. weekly updates of the past.

Hydra

2. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Concerning update problems. It has been quit a while sense I used Adaware so I am going from memory. There is a place to adjust\set you Internet connection settings somewhere with in the update dialog page. Hope this helps.

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hi Hydra . Thanks for your reply suggesting manual updates of Ad-Aware se.
    I didn't tried it because I know I can download manually but I want Ad-Aware work perfectly , update on its own .

About the new message ,quote above , I still have problems . I can't update , no matter what I tried , this software can't be updated . None of my 3 computers at home can update it , nor the 2 computers at the office which also have it . This was about to drive me crazy but I just let it go .
    :cautious:

4. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

How come I don't experience any problems updating the definitions o_O

5. Hydra

Hydra Registered Member

Hi Eldar ..
    It's mystery to me . I have never had this problem before and I am a long time user of AdAware se.

This is new problem for me since I got a new XP Pro sp2 desktop.
    Maybe I a have a connection setting wrong or different for my old Win 98 ?

I never had to set anything before ... it all worked straight from the download.

Does Anyone reading this forum have any ideas if any setting could be tweaked ??

Regards,
    Hydra

6. SpiritWind

SpiritWind Registered Member

Hi Hydra :

As a fellow long-time User and a "Helper" on Ad-Aware oriented forums,
    you MAY want to install its "Tweak SE" Add-On available at :
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/download_and_buy/plugins_for_ad-aware/tweak_se.php .
    I have used it to modify some of my Settings and it MAY help in your more
    easily getting the Updates the "usual" way . I had no trouble getting the
    latest "R126" on Oct 13 . If your problem continues, I recommend you ask
    for help on the Ad-Aware oriented forums at www.landzdown.com ; may
    even want to post an Ad-Aware logfile there, to see if anything can be
    spotted !?

7. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Hi Hydra,
    A mistery to me too, although other users are experiencing the same. :rolleyes:

Maybe SpiritWind's suggestion will help you solve this mistery, but it may also that you blocked Ad-Aware by mistake in your firewall or if you're using a proxy you need to check it inside Ad-Aware's webupdates configuration.

Don't know if Ad-Aware uses different servers to release those definitions, but if they do, it could be a server problem too.

Just guessing here, until someone finds out where your problem originates from. :doubt:

8. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

Perhaps your "Firewall's Outbound Applications monitoring" is silently blocking the AdAware update module or one of the ports associated with it...

Just a thought!

9. Hydra

Hydra Registered Member

Hi Hermes ,
    That's possible . Where would I look for that ?
    The only firewall I have in now is the Win XP "built in " one .. and I have given AdAware premissions.
    (I will be putting in the AntiVir +Firewall suit very soon.)
    I see some other posts questioning the value of AdAware. ?? I also only expect it to catch cookies and MRU's. CCleaner, Spybot ,SpywareBlaster / Guard, do the rest.
    If I don't get AdAware running soon ... I will dump it . Too bad , as it had been so stable up until now.

Hydra

10. Hydra

Hydra Registered Member

Re: Ad-Aware updates Dec 16 th 2006

Hi AdAware users,

You will not believe this ...but .... for the last few days ...suddenly my AdAware updater is working again !!:D
    No more freezing at 5% or 30 % o_O
    I never uninstalled ..but keep getting Manual Update download ( def's) from 'Major Geeks" website.:doubt:
    Then out of the blue ... it's working again !! :thumb:
    You never know do you ?? I have not done anything new or different to my pc.

One day it doesn't work ... and 2 months later ..it does .

Hydra

11. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

Could be Mircrosoft's Malicious Software Tool remover performing "The Miracle" in the background during an automated update. Do you have MS Auto update turned on?

12. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Re: Ad-Aware updates Dec 16 th 2006

The update feature seems to work most of the time for me, i only have problems every once in a while.

13. Hydra

Hydra Registered Member

Hi hermescomputors ,

Yes I do have MS auto updates on .:thumb:
    Do you think it actually did something ?? :cautious: :cautious:
    If so .. then I am very happy. :D :D

Xmas Cheers to all ,
    Hydra

14. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

LAVASOFT'S aD-aWARE IS LONG SUFFERED FROM ISSUES, one right after another and IMO not worth playing ring around the rosy with those lamers anymore. Ad-Aware is so yesteryear but a good cookie/data mining remover, nothing much more. Story over. :thumbd:

There are way too many much more effective and reliable groups who support their customers loyalty as well as thei own products equally well to even be bothered with inactions and constant inaccuracies found in that old lava soft. It's way out of touch with the mainstream and only plays up to updated coolwebsearch and other cat and mouse mals that pleasure themselves on watching them skirm to catch up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.