Ad-Aware Pro

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by acr1965, Jun 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Could someone tell me which scanning engine(s) the latest version of Ad-Aware Pro uses? I have heard it's either VIPRE or Bitdefender. Also, I see there is a firewall with this version. Is the firewall made by another company?

thanks

2. marciocruz

marciocruz Registered Member

3. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

I've been running Ad-Aware Personal Security 11.2 (in-app update from 11.1 on June 4) for about four months on a Win7hpSP1x64 system. The Bitdefender engine (bdcore.dll) is v11.0.1.12 which was upgraded (from .8, I think) in May, the same day BD rolled it out. LS is really good about updates, especially a dozen or more def/sigs a day if you keep it at the default 1 hour update.

The in-house engine is, of course, Ad-Aware Anti-Virus.

Can't say if the firewall is still Agnitum. I trialed Pro for a couple of weeks before buying PS, not enough granularity in the settings tho I'm sure the defaults couldn't be any worse than most other allow-once-and-set/whitelist firewalls these days.

Cheers.

4. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

Well, it's been a while since I've poked about in the Lavasoft directories and lo & behold I find a Firewall Engine directory folder (21 files, 2.93MB) with Bitdefender dlls and drivers. :thumb:

And no, it's not leftover from my Pro trial as I purged my system completely before installing Personal Security. For the simplicity of in-app upgrade purchases, I'd assume.

Cheers ditto.

5. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

OK thanks for the info. I like the programs that are more granular but may give this a try anyway.

6. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

FYI: Ad-Aware Pro BD FW libs and drivers are 7.0.0.x - same as in the current BDIS/TS 2015.

Thanks to member zapjb for the help in researching that.