Ad-Aware blocked my computer!!!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by meera, Feb 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meera

meera Registered Member

ad-aware asked if i wanted to block a suspicious entry or something. I clicked yes ai didnt think it would affect me the way it would.

It ended up blocking an important registry key or something now i cant access any pgrograms i get the message : This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create association in the folder options control panel

Thank you for your help

2. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Do you mean quarantine, if so click on the lock on the top right of th user interface to bring-up the quarantine list. Highlight the entry, then right click on it. Chose restore. Or do you mean ignore, if so open the list. Procedure is the same. I hope this helps.

3. meera

meera Registered Member

I can't seee any lock and i cant open ad-aware to ublock whatever i blocked. no program works i keep getting that error message.This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create association in the folder options control panel

i cant open system restore either. HElp ME pLz :OOO hehe thank yo

4. GUI_Tex

GUI_Tex Registered Member

try safemode?

5. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Sounds like you've wiped out your file associations - which is mighty inconvenient!

Bring up Windows Explorer, click 'Tools'/'Folder Options', then click the 'File Types' tab. You should see a list of extensions with the file type next to it. For example you should see TXT Text Document, and if you select that extension the panel below will say 'Opens with Notepad' etc.

Try re-associating extensions of progs that don't work by clicking 'Change' and selecting the prog that opens files with that extension.

6. Corrine

Corrine Spyware Fighter

Hi, meera. Could you have been installing software or an update and then received the prompt from Ad-Watch? If that was the case, Ad-Watch was merely performing the function you set it up for and you would then want to allow the change to be performed. However, should you get such an inquiry when you are not installing software, that is when you will want to have Ad-Watch block the change.

I still have a copy of an old batch file that others have used for this problem and can post it if it is needed. You may also want to check http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.