Ad-aware and Spywareblaster ?

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by icecold, Jun 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. icecold

icecold Registered Member

I have a question concerning Ad-aware and SpywareBlaster, when I do a scan with Ad-aware and it finds potential spyware in my registry, is it possibly falsely detecting registry entries of SpywareBlaster as potential spyware? and if that is the case, how do I go about knowing what to delete and what not to delete using Ad-aware o_O as i do not want to be deleting registry entries that SpywareBlaster has plase there,if any.

2. MCT

MCT Registered Member

hi, i have both spyware blaster & adaware, adaware never finds any spyware, & i have all protections enabled via spyware blaster, post your adaware logs?

regards

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hmm, I haven't heard of Ad-aware and SpywareBlaster bumping on anything, at least that I can recall. But, there are other privacy tools that incorrectly identify some SpywareBlaster protections as actual problems.

Since SpywareBlaster only adds protection items to three places in the registry (as far as Internet Explorer protections go): the place where ActiveX kill-bits are stored; where IE6 P3P cookie blocks are set; and where IE's restricted zone sites are listed. If a product is identifying an item from one of these locations, then you'd need to research what the item is, and whether it is contained in SpywareBlaster's database or not.

Here's an example of a product incorrectly tagging protective items as malicious (because it doesn't bother to check the specific setting that's in place - merely the presence of an item is the trigger, which is wrong):

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=28132

4. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

There's only two areas I've run into where Ad-Aware was being maybe-over-cautious, and only one of those was related to SpywareBlaster. And even that one was the result of a misunderstanding about how one feature of SB worked.

If in SB, under Tools, you disable the home-page settings section of Internet Options, you'll get a "new item" warning from A-A about the resulting registry entry. I'd been under the mistaken impression that SB's protection in that area was from hijackings, but as it turned out it's actually protection from other users on your own computer. So since the computer's strictly mine (my wife may occasionally play offline games), I disabled that protection and no more "conflicts" between A-A and SB.

5. icecold

icecold Registered Member

after examining the registry entries that Ad-aware found and comparing them to SpywareBlaster's database, everything look's OK. Ad-aware is not falsely detecting any SpywareBlaster's entries. thanks for the help and info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.