Ad-Aware 2007 available June 7

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Jadda, Jun 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

It clearly says in the System Requirements that it is not available for Vista yet and will not work.

2. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

Ah, ok. Haven't noticed :) But anyway, that's lame.

3. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

Man, with all those positive reviews in such a short time, you would think it's all a scam per se and all mostly 5 or 4 stars, it kinda makes me sick in a way. I would prob give it 2 stars not for the new version though (which I'm not even gonna bother with it) and mostly all the reviews say to combine it with either windows defender or spybot, which both suck imho. Come on I feel like I'm back in the 90's with all this talk, there are so many better choices for real-time and on-demand scanner, and even if you have to pay for real-time, it's so cheap!! But most importantly there are better on demand scanners for free that deserve it more (popularity) for all the hard work and damn good detection, but for ad-aware 2007 it'll be the same just with a new design and 2007 stamped on it. I used to have the previous ad-aware on my computer, but I did my homework and got rid of it and it will never be on my computer, fact is I did give it a shot and was not for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2007
  4. King Grub

240+ million downloads from Download.com already. :eek:

Edit: or is that all editions combined, perhaps. :D

5. rayoflight

rayoflight Registered Member

King Grub
    Tell me why old version 1.06 workes fine on Vista?It's also
    Very strange marketing in the middle of 2007...I mean no Vista supporto_O

Last edited: Jun 7, 2007
  6. King Grub

On their support forum, they state that they discovered a glitch late in testing which caused the Vista edition to be delayed.

7. rayoflight

rayoflight Registered Member

Ok,thanks.

8. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

Tried to install the program on my Nlitened XPproS2 with updated windows installer, program will get to this point and then fail to start services any one know what the problem could be? I was able to install yahoo messenger on my box and the only other program I have installed on my box is PowerShadow nothing else on and yes I do have administrator privilages.

Attached Files:

9. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

It says no Vista. After a seamless install, I did a scan. Last night I did a scan with the old version and it found 3 data miners. Today the new version found 13 data miners and something in the registry. This is the first time any anti spyware app ever pulled anything out of the registry. I quarantined it. Does anyone know what a Item ID 300024286 value:root:hku path:s-1-5-2-1-1849368476-602586 is? I see no adverse effects so far, and I've done a reboot since.
    Other than that and the fact you have to get the paid version to do a custom scan, I like it.

10. btman

btman Registered Member

I'm on XP and I can't get definition updates... Says "Server is busy" ....

11. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

Just goes to show the Lemming Syndrome in effect from the "experts" at PC World, PC Magazine etc. recommending it (and it's usually advertising-revenue driven). Unfortunately, those magazines have a large market share in the sector, and it doesn't take long for readers to pass on those "recommendations" to family, friends, blogs, etc.
    That alone should send a clear warning signal.
    For those still chomping at the Lavasoft bit, a Vista-compatible 2007 version is scheduled to be released in August.

12. bigkatt74

bigkatt74 Registered Member

Is anyone else noticing high memory usage with the aawservice? The task manager on my machine shows just over 35MB of ram usage with the program closed.

13. fred128

fred128 Registered Member

Same here. It's running 32,772 with the application closed. If you run msconfig and check services, the application is running.

14. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Lavasoft should higher better developers. :ouch: There is no excuse not to have a Vista-ready version by now, especially since v7 has been in beta for quite some time. :thumbd:

I can only assume that the detection rates are still abysmal as well, unless of course you enjoy seeing cookie and mru's detected instead of legitimate malware. :doubt:

15. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Adaware service using about 21Mb in task manager, here. I've set it to manual, but it still needs manually turning off, of course.

One FP problem is it's detecting 4 or 5 of the hostsfile entries. (why not all of them, if it's looking there and failing to realize those names are just names?)

Lovely eye-candy, but I'm interested mainly in how it goes against something a bit more fearsome than a cookie.

Don't be too quick with the knocks, until it's known for sure it's not good at malware removal. It may turn out to be excellent.
    Or not. Time will tell.

16. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I hope it can still serve as a useful tool. I was actually thinking about uninstalling it (the older version)just because I have 4 other anti-malwares and 3 rootkit tools. I even have a license to Adaware that I just can't bring myself to use. I've been waiting to see how this new version performs before giving up the license. As for Vista compatibility, lets just say I would hate to be a developer for any company having to deal with that mess. This isn't the only product to have problems or delayed they're Vista versions.

@Tarq57 Fear the cookies :ninja: Lol.

17. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Heh, i could quote nearly everyone's replies with the same answer about LS. Same old, same old. Nothing new, just another day, different look (branding), thats all. :D

The advertising is all thats left for them IMHO. The program will remain relic in nature anyway you look at it. That's just the facts and the way it is.

Good Day.

18. cp4eva

cp4eva Registered Member

Quoted for Truth.

19. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Same here. Just wondering what a free on-demand app is doing with a service running all the time...

Cheers.

20. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

If you uncheck ad-aware in msconfig will that prevent the background guard from starting up again? Or will I have to uncheck it everytime I start ad-aware?

21. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

I had it find something too, a "vulnerability".
    the actual details are:
    Root:HKU path: S-1-5-21-606747145-1343024091-725345543-1004\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\policies\system value: Disable reg tools data:

the key in question is this

regedit.JPG

So, is this a valid find? does the data "0" mean yes, the registry tools are disabled, or does it mean they ain't?

22. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Got exactly the same thing. A zero indicates "boot process". (1=system process, 2=automatic, 3=manual, 4=disabled, I believe.)

I actually selected quarantine, it made no difference.
    Tell the truth, I don't know what the registry tool data are, that are referred by this entry. Regedit still works.
    Anyone?

23. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: same finding here on the very first scan. I am using winxp home sp2. but why same result for different users? built-in F.P. to get an attention ? I find the running aawservice.exe even the on demand is turned off is very annoying. I suspect Ad-Aware 2007 is actually designed to be a pro/plus version. the free version is simply having other features disabled. Apart from what they had offered in the past. With this in mind, they probably do not give a dime(?) to freeversion users at all. I have put it on watch list, could be ditched on any moment notice. Pity, same old story again.

24. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I wonder if the registry number is from the SE version that the new version automatically removes on the first scan. What do you think? As I said in my last post above, I put it in quarantine and so far I don't see any adverse reaction.

25. Bluenile

Bluenile Registered Member

Same here 'windows vulnerability', I quarantine it in safe mode and it comes straight back.

Win XP SP2. I think it may be related to Windows Defender but not 100% sure.

My PC come up clean with when scanned with all other apps so I'm guessing it's a FP.

I've already ditched it. I'm sticking with SAS and AVG A/S.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.