Ad-Aware 10 Early Preview

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by phyniks, Jan 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IvoShoen

IvoShoen Registered Member

I tried it out and found that it was much like Vipre - it constantly spikes my CPU and made it impossible to run much else. Uninstalled!

2. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

The memory consumption is still considered low, but for me...it's still higher than most security programs out today.

3. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Used more than 40meg for me.

4. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

have they removed internet security 30 day trial from the free version?

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

What i did to get rid of the trial was to advance my computer time by 3 months and then set it back. Then i registered for a free serial key. So next time i'll re-install it after lets say syystem format i'll just enter the serial key and it will auto convert to free version without fiddling with the computer time.
    I've tried this in VMWare and it works just like i described. So if you're a first time user, just advance the computer time past the 30 days trial and it will auto expire and convert into free version straight away.

6. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

thanks for the work around, but things still remain as it is sadly.

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Nope, buttons are there but they become disabled.

8. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Because it pretty much is Vipre

9. IvoShoen

IvoShoen Registered Member

Exactly!

10. carat

carat Guest

Why don't they offer a free version? Why should I tweak my computer to get a free version? :doubt: Someone at Lavasoft told me to turn off the pro features but then you will get a warning message: YOU ARE NOT PROTECTED :gack:

That's just idiotic and I'm still getting the known BSOD ... Uninstalled! There are other and better free AV ;)

11. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

12. SAW

SAW Registered Member

Might just be my system, but although everything seems reasonably light , my download and upload speed drops by 1/3 when using this program, just have to shutdown the program to notice the difference. I don't have the AV firewall on, but I'm thinking it is in some way interfering, otherwise the program runs well.

13. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

Mine too :thumb:

14. Tele2k

Tele2k Registered Member

I am trying it on a XPSP3 Dell laptop. It was working fine for a few days, then yesterday it warned me that it needed to scan.

I did a Quick Scan, and the program locked up, not responding, I had to use Task Mgr to stop the processes.

I am not sure I will keep this on the laptop at this time.

It also only updates daily, which is OK, but not the best idea to me.

VW

15. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

16. carat

carat Guest

Does version 10.2 still autoquarantine files without any warning? :( Otherwise I would try it again ... :D

17. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

You never clicked "settings"? o_O This option can be easily switched so that it asks you what to do.

This question has been asked by Rejzor like a billion times. You were there, remember? :D

18. carat

carat Guest

Didn't you read the changelog for 10.2? :)

19. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

The thread must have been edited recently to include the bug fixes part, because when I had read the changelog it was not present at the bottom of the page.

20. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

That's just stupid. No popups on detection (even for automatic actions) and now they've even removed "Prompt" option? What the hell are they thinking?

21. carat

carat Guest

+1 :thumb:

22. scott1256ca

scott1256ca Registered Member

In light of this why would you trust any Lavasoft products at all?

I'm not saying their software is malicious, maybe the owners are trying to improve their karma by going legit.

What I am saying is that you turn over a great deal of responsibility to any malware detection software. Anti-malware software is in a great position to betray you, i.e. they could encrypt personal data and send it to "the cloud" under the guise of signatures. People on this site seem to place a great deal of faith in the cloud and don't question the (in)security of it much, which is why I mention it as one of my examples. Or, they could "trust" malware of their own making which might compromise you. In other words you better be able to trust your anti-malware. Given the history of the new owners, is this the software in which you want to place your trust?

23. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

There is also those that are misinformed about the cloud...

24. scott1256ca

scott1256ca Registered Member

I am assuming that was directed at me. While most cloud services are probably just what they seem, that doesn't mean they are all secure or benign. A malicious AV company could create a scanner that, during the course of scanning your memory, if it discovered a userid/password/URL could encrypt that information. Then upload it to their own cloud and eventually have the information get back to them. I'm not saying it has happened. I certainly have seen no evidence that it ever has (or ever will), but I see no technical reason why it couldn't be done. That doesn't mean I am "misinformed about the cloud". It means I question the security of it. It means I question the motives of companies run by individuals with a spotty history.

25. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.