Ad Agency Created Hoax: Facejam isn't Real (Yet)

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by subhrobhandari, Mar 15, 2017.

1. subhrobhandari

subhrobhandari Registered Member

Most of the ''renowned'' news portals started reporting of an app called facezam that lets you find strangers' facebook profile by just taking a picture.

Turns out it was an elaborate hoax, created simply to ''viral''.

I will not link to any of the news articles (you can find hundreds), but only the official site.

Code:
    http://facezam.com/
    This is the journalism these days, media got trolled by a marketing agency and promoted so-called ''fake news''. Telegraph, Fortune, Dailymail, Independent,Breitbart, Techspot, BGR, Esquire, Maxim...and every single media outlet just copy-pasted the article without even fact-checking. I am seeing even new articles being popped up now and then, when the official website declared the hoax seven hours ago (at the time of writing this).

Although I am sure we will see such services soon, maybe even facebook itself will promote for advertisers. But, it's not today.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

There was an actual app being developed a few years ago called NameTag that was claimed to work, but the developers ended up not releasing it.

3. guest

guest Guest

Tool for stalkers and perverts ! (btw, where i can get it) :argh:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.