ActiveX scripting

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by pwr, Jun 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pwr

pwr Registered Member

Hi,

I recently had my PC become infected with some trojans. And I wonder how this could have happend in the first place. Now, I have Agnitum Outpost, NOD32, SnoopFree and Spybot Resident running all the time. I know Spybot Resident is meant for IE mostly, but I use it eventhough I use FireFox.

The Trojans were all ActiveX. And I have setup Outpost so I have to manually permit ActiveX etc.

My question: How come that when I permit a site's ActiveX crap, none of the above programs I have running, checks it? I mean, Spybot S&D will find it after a manual scan, so why can't NOD32 or something find it on-the-fly?

Cheers!

2. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Do you have the names of the trojans?

Do you remember the exact circumstances that caused any of these infections?
    It's not clear to me how ActiveX scripts would run in FireFox.

Do you remember any of the web sites?

regards,

-rich

3. pwr

pwr Registered Member

I can't remember which sites, but Outpost comes up with a dialog box that asks about whether I want to allow activex scripting from this site. But my question was more: what kind of "live protection" can I use against ActiveX that goes a little deeper than just asking if I want to allow it or not?

Here's a screenshot:

http://maniacmansion.dk/ax.jpg

4. ggf31416

ggf31416 Registered Member

If you are using Firefox you don't have to worry about ActiveX, because ActiveX controls, legitimate or malicious, don't work on Firefox.
    IE will prompt the user when a site wants to install an activex control, but many malicious controls are installed through exploits.

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

1. Not everything ActiveX is bad

2. I dont know about ActiveX scripting, but Firefox doesnt not support/load activex controls such as those used for many online scanners.

What I would do is use the NoScript extension for Firefox.

6. pwr

pwr Registered Member

Ok thx, I'll look for that =)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.