activex on opera?

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by pin, Jul 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pin

pin Registered Member

hey, got a newbie question.. is activex just used by IE? the reason i ask is that i've switched to opera (i've had enough of IE <sigh>), so i'd like to check!

2. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Hi pin!

Here's a quote from Opera's site

The URL I got this from is

http://www.opera.com/security/index.dml

HTH,

Dan

3. pin

pin Registered Member

wow thx.. i guess i should have gone to the source eh!

but does this mean that i no longer need the protection aspect of spywareblaster?

4. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Well, I am not nearly as knowledgeable on the program as others so you should wait and hear from the others on this but I think that while SB's main emphasis is to block activex installations it also provides protection in other respects. In any case, in my experience I have found that Opera does not work well on some sites so for those I am forced to use an IE type browser so although I use Opera predominately I still use IE on occasion and thus rely on SpywareBlaster.

Again, I would look for some feedback from Javacool, Pieter or one of the others on this for more definitive feedback

5. pin

pin Registered Member

you are right about the incompatibility. i use IE still for windows updates, mozilla for my univ database site, and opera for just about everything else. there's no total escape!

6. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

SpywareBlaster's protection is system-wide - not just related to Internet Explorer (although that is where you will find the protection most useful).

For example, SpywareBlaster can disable much ActiveX-based spyware should it get installed as a "bundled bonus" with another app (as an example). (SpywareBlaster's ActiveX blocks apply globally.)

Best regards,

-Javacool

7. pin

pin Registered Member

ahhh i hadn't considered that.. good point. thx for the info!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.