Active X removal tool

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by jim simon, Jul 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jim simon

jim simon Registered Member

Hi:
    I've just installed spywareblaster and read during the installation that it doesn't remove any Active X problems but only prevents them from occurring. Along those lines, does anyone have suggestions for a good freeware tool that does remove all harmful Active X problems that may exist in ones computer?

2. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi Jim... welcome to Wilders.

I've moved your thread from Javacool's SpywareBlaster forum to this forum (other anti-malware software) since you're asking for suggestions on spyware removal software.

Regards,

Snap

3. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

A decent Anti-Spyware scanner should deal with Active X problems, but if you just want to analyse the Active X installed on your system then the 'Tools' section of Spybot S&D will show you what you've got and whether it is known to be 'safe' or 'bad'.

Normally you'd delete Active X by going to C:\Windows\Downloaded Programs Files and right clicking to select 'Remove'; however some Active X comes with an uninstaller and needs to be removed via Add/Remove Programs (eg Adobe/Macromedia Active X).

You can also block Active X by disabling it in IE's Tools/Manage Add-ons section.

For the sake of completeness it's worth mentioning that the 016 entries in HighjackThis logs relate to Active X, but you'd only use that tool if you knew what you were doing.

SpywareBlaster is intended to prevent known unsafe Active X from being downloaded onto your system, indeed its 'killbit' should stop it even being offered to you in the first place. If you've already got it, then, as I say, you'd use an AS scanner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.