Active Virus Shield, new version released!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by kalpik, May 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

AMRX, I meant minutes. My CHKDSK does complete and everything seems ok, but the delay is of course noticeable. I never ran CHKDSK before using AVS and hearing about this so I'll never know if it had a delay before using AVS. Oh well at least CHKDSK works for me and I no longer have AVS installed. I liked AVS a lot too, but there seems to be some truth to this whole thing.

2. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

same here...
    I get the same error once a month, and immediately do a manual update with no error. Odd, but it's the only "bug" I've had. If it got worse I could just switch to the Kap-servers...

3. cruser921

cruser921 Registered Member

i'm having the dam update error again with only one of my active virus sheild on my wirless computer wtf is wrong with it and how do i fix it. just let it go and maybe it find its whey? i herd aol patched it so you could not use kav servers

4. duke1959

5. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Yeah...it won't get any worse but it won't get any better either. Actually, we are not sure of the long term effects of Object Identifiers placed on all our files. They are there FOREVER. That is a long time and Microsoft did not intend Object Identifiers to be used as Kaspersky has so who knows what will happen two months, six months, a year from now to our computers that no longer have a Kaspersky product or another product that uses a Kaspersky engine. As Gavin said We want a FIX!

As my new sig, (courtesy of Straitshoot who started the dslr thread), says NO ONE should install ANY product from Kaspersky or from another vendor that uses the Kaspersky engine and that includes AVS. The risk is too great. Use another free AV. Avira is outstanding and Avast is fine also. Don't play Russian roulette with your computer. (This latter paragraph is meant for everyone posting in this thread particularly those persisting in using AVS).

6. duke1959

Around the holidays I was going to reformat my PC with the recovery disks as I read this takes care of it, right?

7. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Yes, reformat or reverting to a clean image done before installing any KAV/KIS related product will fix it as will the experimental technique posted in the dslr thread. I'd rather live with the damage than reformat. I have a TI image but I got long ago got rid of the one from before KAV was installed as I can't keep but one full image on my external hard drive as it is not a large drive.

8. 19monty64

This was the thread opener. I think we've gotten a little off-topic.

9. duke1959

You're right. So does the new version harm CHKDSK? Just kidding.

10. mzkat7

mzkat7 Registered Member

how exactly do you add the entry ?? :doubt:

11. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

You copy/paste or manually type it in.

12. cruser921

kaspersky dose not recomend you do that as it can caus virus update instability worse off then what it allready is. you can get wrong def and all sorts crap. i have tried it and dosent work very good. and its on kasperskys fourms as a big no no as it slows down kavs servers and you get wrong paterns.

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

O rly? Or you get freaskin incorrect signaturs EVERY AND EACH time. Whats better? The one where you might get borked up signatures or the one where you'll get them botged up for sure? Judging the odds, i'd go with the first option... Stupid shitty half working AOL server...

14. 19monty64

I've had 3 "update error: incorrect signatures" in the last 30 days, and all were rectified within 1-2 hours. I use the AOL-servers, and have not switched because "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

15. cruser921

i know go with the aol servers as kavs was giving me wrong **** all the time it messed up aol avs so bad i had to uninstall and reinstall it i go with the first option aol shity servers and plus most are fixed with in 1 to 2 hours anyhow.

16. duke1959

AVS 2.5 either updated actual signatures or logged the update every two hours when I had it installed up to Thursday of last week, and ran so well I didn't even know it was there. That is of course until I started reading about the CHKDSK problems in some of the threads here.

17. cruser921

chkdsk is a microsoft issue its always been there check this out i just did a reinstall of my system wiped my hard drive clean and stuff did a low level format off it. did not even put aol avs back on first thing i did was run a chkdsk and omg it had a 3 min delay before it would start stage 2 wow i did not even have kav back on now what do you think microsoft issue only. i don't blam any program for this as i did not have any installed none of my stuff was. so i look at it this whey for me anyohow a microsoft crap issue.

18. duke1959

Well I'm feeling a little more convinced. I have AVG Pro running and Prevx 2 so I feel I'm protected enough. However AVS is my favorite AV because of the GUI and features, so convince me just a little more so I have reason to use it again.

19. 19monty64

The way you've been "experimenting" with different s/w lately, I'd say it's just a matter of time before you start re-dLo'ing the "old" apps. (rofl)

20. duke1959

I was actually thinking about ZA Free 4.5.594 again. LOL. I'm serious. LOL. I can't disagree with you, but I have decided to keep Prevx 2 over Cyberhawk, and if I decide to use a Third Party Firewall again, it will be either ZA Free 6.5.737, or PC Tools. As much as I like my AVG AV, I really was satisfied with AVS until the recent threads with the CHKDSK posts again. My delay is truly around 4 minutes at stage two, and I can live with that, but if there's is a chance of possiblel errors or corruption down the raod, I can't live with that. There's already a new post in the Kaspersky 7 still has issues thread about CHKDSK problems, did you see it?

21. 19monty64

22. duke1959

What would make me less concerned about current or potential damage done by KAV and AVS, is that instead of any former users talking about 2nd stage CHKDSK delays and problems, is people who never used AVS or KAV posting about 2nd stage delays they have with CHKDSK. Maybe a thread about that should be started.

23. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

I dropped AVS when I found that it was only one-third KAV -- AVS cannot be considered even as a true KAV relative with all that is found missing in AVS. The hot processor issue still exists, comes and goes -- CPUs at 100%, CHKDSK trouble, scripting vulnerabiaties, and on. No, I'll settle for Avast, AntiVir or even CyberDefenderFree!

Dave

24. cruser921

hmm interesting the months that i have hadd aol avs on bothe mysystems i have never once seen a processor spike of 100% or any scripting stuff at all as well. maybe its just my amd processor lol i don't now they do multitasking well. maybe thats why i have never seen this hmm. :rolleyes:

25. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

Would you keep an eye on your CPU behavior and post if it goes nuclear on you?

Some have astounding success with AVS, but others have the off and on recurrent 100% CPU problem.

Thanks,
    Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.