Active Virus Shield, new version released!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by kalpik, May 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Thanks 19monty64. AVS running fine so far and working well with a-squared. Take care.

2. waters

waters Registered Member

downloaded it and when i tried to run it, it says this installation package can not be opened,contact the application vendor to verify that it is a valid windows
    installer package

3. plantextract

plantextract Registered Member

try renaming it to exe. these aol guys are hilarious, they renamed the exe to msi.

4. waters

waters Registered Member

Downloaded to desktop and it says avs.

5. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

avs.msi->avs.exe (go to ControlPanel->Tools->FolderOptions->View.....uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types", then click on "apply to all folders") Your installer should read avs.msi...change to avs.exe.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  6. waters

waters Registered Member

Thanks for help and quick reply that worked

7. 19monty64

Happy to help...let us know how all works out.

8. webster

webster Registered Member

It`s still avs.msi o_O . They don`t want us to install.

9. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Just change it to aol.exe instead, aol seems to move very slow.

10. duke1959

So far AVS 2.5 has not had one hick up, and the update intervals are being logged at two hours apart. I still wonder however, if anyone thinks there is still a need to change my host file so AVS uses the Kaspersky servers?

11. Bluenile

Bluenile Registered Member

I've gone back to using the Kaspersky server as I was getting invalid signature errors with the AOL server. apart from that it's working fine here.

12. duke1959

Thanks Bluenile. By the way how do like the latest release of Kerio Firewall? I have used the free version and always liked it, but there were a few problems with some of the releases I used.

13. Bluenile

Bluenile Registered Member

It's my favourite firewall that I've used so far. I did try Comodo but it was blocking windows updates for me so I took out a 2 year paid licence of Kerio and have been very happy with it since. It works well alongside AVS too and doesn't seem to slow my PC down.

14. duke1959

Thanks, I have a-squared Anti-Malware in RealTime so I'm not sure I really need a third party firewall, but I actually like Kerio better than Comodo as far the GUI. I also liked the option to use the Application Behavior feature it has. I may just give the latest release a spin even though I realize it will only be the free version. Take care.

15. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

duke1959 and ellitekiller,

I was getting most of the "remove-this,remove-that" messages from a certain version of AOL AVS released during a goofy period in which AOL wanted people to remove this or that in favor of more AOL software. KAV DOES want a few things removed, BUT NOT AS MANY AS AOL!

Dave

16. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Sorry mate, but i don't understand what you mean by "remove this, remove that" line...

17. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

RejZor, a screen popped up during the install, similar to that CA, KAV or Dr. Web, telling me to remove software incompatible with AVS, but also actually brought up my add/remove panel before it aborted its installation.

Dave

By the way, I put AVS on another PC but forgot to block the AOL update server. If AVS encounters an update error, is my entire virus database corrupt? Or is the database repaired by updating again? (I'm tired or restarting that old PC.)

18. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Navigate to this registry key using Regedit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Find entry of program that AVS doesn't like and export it in a REG file. Then delete the registry entry. Run AVS installer again and install AVS as usual (you shouldn't get any warnings anymore). After you are done with AVS installation you can restore that registry key back by doubleclicking it.
    Kaspersky is using this uninstall list (basically the background of Add-Remove Programs tool) to check for incompatible or problematic tools already present on system.

IMPORTANT!
    Just remember that by doing this i or Kaspersky Lab don't take any responsibility for any kind of problems. They block certain programs this way for a reason. So do this on your own risk! It may or may not work properly.

19. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

Thanks, RejZoR. THAT will save me a great deal of effort.

Dave

20. Arin

Arin Registered Member

I just downloaded avs.msi and renamed it to avs.exe to install AVS. Everything went fine except for the updating part. While downloading daily.avc it said the file was corrupt. Apart from this file all the other components were properly updated. I switched to Kaspersky servers and updated again. This time there was no errors.

I uninstalled AVS (I never planned to keep it) and installed it again. This time i updated from the Kaspersky servers. Surprisingly, while downloading daily.avc, again the error appeared. So it seems either the update module of AVS is faulty or that file daily.avc is troublesome.

Anyway one thing I know for sure, it surely slowed down the second stage of my chkdsk. ;)

21. 19monty64

With the updating-errors, a manual-update has been the solution for me (3-4 times), but slow-downs of any type are unacceptable. I was lucky. AVS works like a charm for me, and ended my never-ending-search for an a/v that didn't cause insomnia! But to balance the scales, my never-ending-search for a simple f/w now keeps me up.

22. duke1959

It takes over five minutes for my second stage to complete, and 4 of those are before it starts. I wonder if AOL is aware of this? I'm really getting concerned again between what has been posted here and in the Kaspersky thread today, so it's bye bye to AVS again. I'm going to try Nod32 and if I like it as much as I think I will, it may be the first AV I have ever paid for. It's ashamed for Kaspersky because I thought the same thing about it after using AVS the first time and again now until reading about the CHKDSK errors again. There's no way I'm going to spend money on a product that I keep hearing more and more can screw up my PC, especially with hardly a whimper from the makers.

23. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Hello Duke1959,

If you don't acknowledge that a problem exists (or that it lies somewhere else), then you can't fix it. :p

24. webster

webster Registered Member

25. Arin

Arin Registered Member

I'm sorry but did you mean five minutes or five seconds? AOL is not even aware of the fact that the AVS.MSI file is actually an EXE file packing the MSI file within.

I'm sorry but I hope you didn't misread my post. CHKDSK second stage is slow for my computer but the initial delay is like for 4/5 seconds. I didn't mean to bash AVS or Kaspersky. Moreover, what I experienced is not a CHKDSK error but just some delay.

The update error, I'm not sure, what is causing it. Maybe its messed up signature from Kaspersky which AOL copied to their server. Or maybe its just the faulty update module of AVS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.