Active Virus Shield, new version released!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by kalpik, May 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

AVS 2.5 froze up my PC after install and reboot. Had to do a hard reboot and then all seemed well. However I uninstalled it right away as it wasn't a very good first impression. I like AVS and the last version ran well so i hope the fix is in for the latest version.

2. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

I had that sort of problem on one PC, and I fixed it by putting my unnecessary statup items on delayed startup. The KAV engine has to load first in upper memory on some PCs.

Dave

3. duke1959

So you are saying this is normal dw2108? AVS did seem to run ok after second reboot, but I had to unplug my PC first as my PC couldn't be rebooted any other way. I'm not sure this is the way a software needs to be installed no matter how it tries to load. I don't have anything listed in WinPatrol Start Ups except what ever programs I have installed at the time and I beleive I was installing AVS with nothing else installed at that.

4. cruser921

cruser921 Registered Member

aol just oficialy reliased this version to the public however the file is courupted so there wating for a fix for it. all the update problems have been fixed as well.

5. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

duke1959, uhhh, from what cruser921 says, uhhh I guess it is normal behavior for now. That's all we need is a corrupted setup file. Gigabummer!

Dave

6. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

WOW!!! I'll stick with 6.0.0.308 'til I absolutely have to upgrade!!! AOL/AVS is my 4th choice for a/v's, but it's the only one that works flawlessly on both pc's that I put it on. AVG, Avast and AntiVir "drove me to AVS."

7. cruser921

you can get the one from d-load at null soft here is link http://download.nullsoft.com/avs/ just take the top one with 25 in it aol told me is the same one they just packed it and did a shity job i see. lol

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Oh man, still tis stupid Vista burning bug. Burn a CD/DVD and AOL AVS will crash badly and lock up system for ~20 seconds after CD/DVD burning is complete. Is original KAV6 (same build) also doing this omg? o_O Weirdos...

9. duke1959

That's the one I used and had the freeze up problems. I have AVG on board for now and actually like it's GUI, but the GUI of AVS is my favorite out of all the AV's I've used or seen. dw2108 I hope you didn't take my statement as sarcasm. I was just frustrated when I typed it because I really wanted to use AVS again. I read over at the Kaspersky Forums about some things to do for any slowdowns, but I must say I have never had any trouble with AVG, Avast, or even CA AntiVirus, and outside of a week of Guard problems none with Avira Free either. I did have a devil of a time completely uninstalling a 6 month free trial of F-Secure last year. It was a nice AV though, and other than the uninstall it ran well on my PC. 19monty64, why exactly did the other three free AV's drive you to AVS? Just curious.

10. cruser921

do you know if that buring a cd/dvd dose it on windows xp as well? i havent tried myself as i'm afrade to lol

11. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

duke1959, I just decided to go with Bitdefender w/BD Antispy. This free stuff is really beginning to smell bad.

Dave

12. duke1959

You may be right dw2108. Bitdefender looks pretty good. I used the free version as a back up and it found some things AVG didn't. This was a long while back though. I wonder if the exe on the dl site for AOL AVS is still corrupted?

13. cruser921

last i checked it was just d-load the actual aol avs 25 version is the same i posted the link to get it.

14. duke1959

I got it cruser921, but I was wondering are using this version and if so, is it running ok for you?

15. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It's ok as long as you don't burn CD/DVD's using Vista's own software lmao

16. cruser921

yes it is the latest version out is the same as the msi one that is there it is the latest version now on there page for geting it except that one is courupted. yes it is now stable and updates daly av signatures without a hesatation.

17. cruser921

is that just on Vista?

18. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I guess. Now i'll just use Free Easy Burner instead. I've just tested it and AOL AVS doesn't crash after i complete DVD burning with it. At least something heh... :D

19. duke1959

Installed this morning rebooted and updated with no problems. Rebooted just as a precausion and ran a scan with no problems. Later today will renable a-squared Anti-malware Guard and reboot, and hopefully with no problems. Any firewall suggestions to use with AVS? I know Comodo works, but I was thinking of reinstalling PC Tools Firewall since a-squared offers the RealTime protection it does.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  20. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

duke1959, be VERY careful. KAV and AVS ar NOT compatible with most other AV or antispyware software. When I was using it, I had to remove BD 8 just to get the stuff to install because it told me to remove it, else it would not install.

Dave

PS See forum.kaspersky.com for a list of their "DON'TS." I'll stay with BD + BS AS.

RejZoR, AVS works well as long as you don't burn, restart or try to boot up ever!

21. 19monty64

Avast's services were disabled after reboots, so I had to manually re-start each time. Techies couldn't figure it out so I went to AntiVir. AntiVir was running nice until cpu-probs started with the upgrade to ver.7. It also failed to load on reboots occasionally after ver.7. AVG was my 1st of the freebies and for a stretch, every daily update required a reboot. Their free-forum was super-helpful resolving the problem. The real-problem was that before the "freebies" I had McAfee for a year. McLafee was so "high-maintenance" that when my license was up for renewal, I decided to look for a less demanding a/v on my patience level. Tried several pay/freeware a/v's and AVS was the one that passed the test of time. After a few mos. of silence I dLo'd eicar just to make sure it really was working! Upon purchasing a 2nd-pc, AVS replaced a pre-installed norton 2007 and worked silently ever since. "If it ain't broke...don't fix it!!!"

22. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Could you elaborate? You certain don't need to have 2 AV's installed on your PC. Use Cure-it or an online scanner if you're paranoid. AVS and KAV/KIS coexists fine w/ SAS, CS, AVGAS, SS, SD, and a-squared.

23. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

Yep, you can't even install KAV's AVS without KAV's AVS screen telling you to remove BD 8 Free scanner only or BD Antyspy, F-Prot Scanner only, Avast Scanner only, AntiVir scanner only, Webroot, PCTools, and on. The install quits. AVS is KAV, so they do coexist canonically. You may install these extras after you put on KAV's AVS, but many find that KAV's AVS loads its kernel drivers as to push a processor to 100% with such additional software. KAV's forum lists this excessive processor usage together with the CHKDSK problem as known issues.

Dave

24. duke1959

Thanks dw2108. I am running a-squared full version with AVS so I will ask EliteKiller if the a-squared you mentioned in your post is the full version. I was also thinking about using PC Tools Firewall, but I'm not sure if AVS plays well with it. As far as CHKDSK concerns, I have used AVS in the past and have around a 4 minute delay before stage two starts, but I never used CHKDSK before reading about the problem so I can't say for sure if it was caused by AVS. Finally thanks for your replay 19monty64, and have you had any problems with CHKDSK delays or incomaptiblities with other security programs?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  25. 19monty64

CHKDSK has the same 5-10 sec. delay starting stage 2 as it had before AVS. The only peep or complaint I've heard from AVS (in 10 mos. of use) is when I dLo'd eicar and when I installed AdvancedSpywareRemover. I don't have the cd/dvd-issues that I've heard about either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.