Active@ Disk Image 5.2 Beta

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by treehouse786, Dec 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

2. andylau

andylau Registered Member

It seems that Active@ Disk Image too depend/rely on VSS. I tried put it on my WinPE(s), one had VSS support, one did not. The one did not would have error pop-up occured.

I think it is better to detect the system has VSS service support or not.
    As for many imagers can detect the system VSS, if no VSS, they use non-VSS method for imaging.
    Active@ Disk Image should follow this too.

3. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

Will have to give this a try. Thanks tree for the update.

4. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks
    i tried to contact active via support never got an answer
    i would like respect the bitmap in the restore process
    in short no consolidate/defrag behavior in the restore

5. guest

guest Guest

We need file backup, i hope they will add

6. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

Seems buggy (this version) : I performed a diff backup but I could'nt explore the image, the image explorer exited right away. I uninstalled it, reinstalled version 5.1.3 and this time I could explore the image.

7. draman

draman Registered Member

So far I am never able to create image in with Active disk image in windows. The error is "No snapshots in the set'. Any suggestions please.

8. MerleOne

Seems that A@di cannot create a snapshot of your volume. Is VSS working on your system ?

9. draman

draman Registered Member

VSS working alright as I am able to backup using Shadowprotect Desktop Edition, Macrium Professional Version, ATI 2012, O & O diskimage 6 prof version except Active Disk Image which never worked for me . Always the same error.

10. napoleon1815

napoleon1815 Registered Member

That's odd considering the other ones work for you...I know SP uses VSS. I assume you don't have all these installed? I know many will conflict.

11. draman

draman Registered Member

Yes. All the above mentioned softwares are installed and working Ok for me. Never had any conflict with each other.

12. napoleon1815

13. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

correct ^^ i have had TONS of issues with clients computers who were running acronis and then added another imaging program only to have them not work at all. if you are running multiple ones and they are fine more power to you. i know even trying active@ and easeus on the same pc caused nothing but headaches neither was working properly until i fully removed easeus then active@worked fine again

14. treehouse786

not 100% sure what you mean but have you tried imaging using the RAW format?

15. treehouse786

yes it only uses the VSS service and i am pretty sure they wont be using a custom driver to image for some time yet. with regards to the WinPE issue, that is what active@ boot disk is for and the built in WinPE maker within active@ disk image, i dont recommend trying to use active@ disk image on a WinPE you have made yourself as i have had quite few issues in the past so what i do know is add portable programs to active@ boot disk, works perfectly every time

16. treehouse786

to be honest i hope they dont as that is how programs become bloatware.

more additions = more chances for things to break

i love active@ for the fact that it is simple, i would hate to see it deviate from this philosophy.

after all, it is called active@ disk image :p

17. napoleon1815

Agreed. This, to me, is what happened to Acronis. Got bloated with additional features a small subset of people actually use. I don't use it mostly because of all the instability introduced with all the new features.

18. MerleOne

All those you mention have their proprietary snapshot system beside VSS, including StorageCraft Shadow Protect. they may use VSS, but fallback on the other mechanism is VSS is not working or if instructed to do so.

You coukd try OopsBackup from Altaro that only uses VSS (file backup only) and see if VSS works fine with it.

BTW, SP 4 damaged my regular VSS after being removed from my Vista PC. I had to reintall it (I mean SP) because I couldn't find how to repair the system.

19. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

same issue for me with sp4 vss was badly broken after removing it!!!

20. andylau

I do not like active@ boot disk's WinPE, I like mine more:D

If I need to make choice, I will giveup Active@ Disk Image:D
    Because there are many imagers that need not to use VSS for imaging on WinPE
    It seems that for cool imaging, custom driver is not needed.

21. andylau

If you want to do file-based backup, you can simply use file sync software to do, there are many free file sync software

22. treehouse786

but you dont need to make a choice ;)

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

i have acronis, active@, linux mint, hirens, custom WinPE, custom BartPE and many other boot disks on a single usb

23. andylau

I know how to use grub4dos to boot different ISO/IMG/WIM or other bootable files.

What I mean is, I do not want to waste size of USB and manage too much bootable files(My boot menu list is a bit long now). As it is just less than 10MB, I don't think I will download a very large active bootdisk and build a new ISO ever time when it has new version.

24. treehouse786

your only having to build a new ISO every time a new version is released because you use optical disks. if you used USB's then you can just overwrite the active@ boot entry without affecting any other entry (using YUMI).

25. andylau

I don't use optical disks, I use USB.

Even you use USB, You still need to download and rebuild again. Of course, you can just edit the "boot.wim" and replace the new version's files of active disk image into it.

If there have more choices do not need to do the same processes, why I do not choose?
    My WinPE adding new software does not need to edit the "boot.wim", I just need to pack the new software into WIM format and put to the corresponding location that's OK. Therefore, I can add new software very quick, and I do not need many WinPE.:D

If you do not mind do so, that's OK. You have your own choice, and I am too.:) I just hope Active disk image can do better to provide better user experiences for its customers.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.