Action Center reports multiple antivirus programs

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by Konata Izumi, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

When I turn off Realtime Protection... Windows Action Center reports that I have multiple antivirus programs.
    When I turn on Realtime Protection from RSS2011 Gui... one of the two RSS2011 virus protection listed in Action Center will turn on and the other remains off.

see attachment below.

this is under Windows 7 Professional 32-bit Service Pack 1 (just using Windows Classic theme)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

That's what it should do, if you have another antivirus running.

3. Konata Izumi

I don't see why I should have multiple RSS2011 antivirus tho'
    I installed it only once.

4. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Good question as it should not be happening. Can you send us the following from that computer so we can take a closer look? Send to support (dash) tech (at) returnil (dot) com with a link back to this thread:

1. The rvs3.log and rvs3.inst.log files in the following folder:

Win XP:

"C:\Documents and Settings\all users\application data\returnil\rvs3\log"

Win Vista/Win 7:

"C:\ProgramData\Returnil\RVS3\log"

2. MSINFO32 report - Click START > RUN > Type MSINFO32. On the System Information screen click FILE > Export and then save the file where you can find it to attach to your reply.

Thanks
    Mike

5. Konata Izumi

I uh.. reformatted my drive a few days ago so I can't possibly send the requested files.

but I think you can easily reproduce this :)

I have another concern again..
    Can Returnil run properly when you enabled the "Do not process Legacy Run list" in gpedit.msc ?

6. Coldmoon

Hi,
    Actually we cannot reproduce this issue on any systems in the lab or ones we use in production. You are the first to report this happening so we would ask you to try and reproduce this on your system where it happened.

If you can reproduce this, please send us the logs as requested in my previous reply.

Mike

7. Coldmoon

What are you trying to do by adding RSS or RVS to that list? If you add the exe or service for RSS or RVS, you are likely to block the program from loading and you may run into "core service not available" issues, but this is just a theory as no one has specifically tested doing this.

Considering the nature and mission of RSS/RVS, this would not naturally be something that we would anticipate the user doing...

Mike

8. Konata Izumi

Nope I did not add RSS into the list... I want to know if enabling the "Do not process legacy run list" in gpedit would affect RSS but never mind.

I'll download and install RSS 2011 FREE and try if I can reproduce the multiple AV issue.

9. Konata Izumi

emailed logs and MSINFO32.txt

10. Coldmoon

Hi,
    Just a note to update you on what's happening. The QC team reports that they are not yet able to reproduce the issue but are investigating further. They take the report seriously so I will update the thread again as soon as I can.

Mike

11. Konata Izumi

Hi, I did an image restore and installed Returnil System Safe 2011 FREE and Security Center reports multiple RSS 2011 AV again.

I hope you guys can reproduce and fix this.

12. Coldmoon

They are still working on reproducing the problem.

I discussed this with them this morning and they are looking into the possibility of additional diagnostic tools they may ask you to run against this on your system. I will let you know one way or the other as soon as I get updated on this.

Mike

13. Konata Izumi

just to let you guys know.
    the latest update still have this issue.

14. Coldmoon

Hi,
    I have let the team know and will get a reply back as soon as I can.

Mike

15. Coldmoon

Update for some additional questions from the team on this issue:

1. Is this issue reproducible on your system? IOWs - does this always happen or happen intermittently?

2. Does this happen with only one specific AV/AM or with others? If yes, what AVs/AMs?

3. What steps do you take that lead to this result?

Thanks in advance
    Mike

16. Konata Izumi

1. this issue always happen and is reproducible on my system.

2. I don't use any AV/AM... only RVS's own antivirus is doubled when I disable it.

3. Just disabling the AV result in action center notifying me of multiple antivirus program installed (2 Returnil RVS). Reboots sometimes fixes and or bring up the problem again.

17. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

The attached image shows what I see, with Windows 7 x64 and Returnil 14 or 13 installed.

If I uninstall either version and reboot, leaving Returnil uninstalled, the first line does not appear, but the second one (without the icon) remains.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  18. Coldmoon

Hi,
    I have updated the QC team on your replies and Robin's report as well. This is a known issue but one where we have not been able to isolate it in the lab. None of our test or production systems are exhibiting this behavior so your reports are very helpful.

I will reply back as soon as I receive further instructions and/or questions from the lead.

Thanks
    Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.