Acronis Universal Restore Problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by petrus2006, May 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. petrus2006

petrus2006 Registered Member

Hi all!

I am currently testing the above product and have encountered a problem which I hope someone could help me solve. I am restoring a True Image backup of a Windows 2000 server and am restoring it to a different server with a different RAID controller. I booted the new server using the Acronis Boot CD and selected Universal Restore as one of the options. I was prompted to add the W2K RAID driver which I did (I selected the Inf file)
    However after the recovery process and when Windows 2000 server booted up I noted that the RAID driver wasn't installed as the New Hardware Wizard was displayed asking me to install the RAID driver. When looking at the device manager to confirm if the RAID driver was installed it wasn't. Why?
    If I have to manually install the driver myself then Universal Restore isn't much use. Perhaps I could be missing something.
    Your comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks

2. Tech1

Tech1 Registered Member

Does it even boot if you restore the image without using universal restore? If the symptoms are the same either way, I too would wonder what's up.

3. VolkerNadolski

VolkerNadolski Registered Member

Hi !

Without UniversalRestore your server wouldn't have bootet. UniversalRestore "injects" the correct mass-storage and hal drivers for a "normal" system bootup. After that boot you can install the windows drivers for the devices.

OK...it is "not nice" that your system asks for the raid drivers again, but without UniversalRestore you would get a Stop 0x7b inaccessible boot device.

The New Hardware Wizard is a low prize for a mission critical server.....

Volker

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello petrus2006,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

Please note that the purpose of Acronis Universal Restore is help you to restore the image archive to a deffirent hardware by replacing the crucial HAL and hard disk controller drivers. Moreover, in the case of transfering the system to another hardware without Acronis Universal Restore system may not boot at all. In some cases Windows may need additional drivers setup after restoration.

Could you please clarify if you resore the system the the same RAID configuration or to the different one? Where the drivers for the RAID controller is located: the driver repository, the list of user-specified (enforced) drivers, or the Windows default driver storage folders (in the image being restored)? Did you resore the image of the entire hard drive of only system partition?

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.