ACronis TrueImage not partitioning properly

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by BrownChiLD, Dec 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrownChiLD

BrownChiLD Registered Member

Using: Acronis TrueImage WorkStation 9.1 3854
    on Brand new Acer TravelMate 6292 with WinXP 32bt Pro
    Disk: 250GB Samsung Mobile Drive SATA

I tried to create a security zone, and when prompted to reboot, i acknowledge...

Pre-boot windows shows the usual details of acronis doing its thing, analyzing, etc etc... after reboots back to normal windows.

But checking the drive it has not been touched.. Checked out the logs from acronis, NO ERROR.. what happened? How come acronis seem to go through its routine ok but when i log back into windows it's like nothing happened.. and no errors too..

I tried it soo many times, reinstalled acronis, even tried DISK DIRECTOR, all returning the same NO EFFECT results.

Please help!

Tea

UPDATE:
    I tried DOS version of DiskDirector and it seemed to work . .. why can't it work straight out of windows?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  2. Long View

Long View Registered Member

My advice is to forget about secure zone. As you have disk director make a partition and image to that or preferably make images to an external drive.
    If used to make and restore full images Acronis works well - forget all about the fancy bits.

3. BrownChiLD

no can do mate. i've always relied on secure zone since forever.. that way im sure the backup is always on the computer and guarantees safe keeping from deletion, corruption, and other things that can happen to a backup..

4. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I do keep one backup on some computers ( mainly laptops) But (1) secure zone does not guarantee protection from corruption (2) you must surely keep other images on external devices to protect you from drive failure ?

anyway just re-read your original post and see you are using an Acer. I bought a travelmate a few years ago and recall it had 2 hidden partitions - I wonder if this is part of the problem. Personally with laptops I always remove the junk they install and then re-partition and re-install. Not sure what that would do to your warranty.

5. BrownChiLD

actually that's what i did.. i upgraded to a brand new 250GB HD, installed it myself and so im pretty sure there's no hidden partition anywhere...

6. BrownChiLD

tried creating the securezone (activating ATIW boot agent) from within windows, this time taking space of Drive D:, so it didnt have to reboot anymore, and it worked..

created an image of c: onto it (didnt require reboot) and it was successful..

this time i tried running restore procedure, (required reboot ofcourse) and during the DOS loading of the boot agent, it churned out an error saying giberish and stuff..

i can make out portions of the giberish like, "unable to load pCI" thing and "aborting" etc..

left it like that (seemed stucked).. then later decided to reboot.. to my surprise the image was restored! (i made some changes before restoring to compare)

....also,hitting F11 key on start up brings up the Acronis Loading text and then the error similar to above described error.. but waiting a few seconds, it went on to the ATIW screen..

7. 1ondon

1ondon Registered Member

I use the secure zone to boot from if I have problems. But there's no way on earth it's safe to store backups there (assuming you only have one disk?)
    Always copy your backups OFF the OS disk.

Lon

8. BrownChiLD

been using this method for years on all my cleints. it's a disaster recovery thing that's easy to deploy.. and you surely have backup secure in the zone, that's what it's for.. i've never experience a problem w/ the SZ partition, and i dont think it can ever crash because it's not accessible by windows or any virus or what nots.. i do recognize the problem w/ being the hard drive itself failing, but that's a RARE occasion, never experience it on a drive with SZ on it, and if ever it did, so i reformat again.. time to make a new image. i dont see a problem with that..

thanks for the advises, but i found the image in SZ method to be uber helpful.. i've had other computers with tib files backed as a file on another disk, only to find it accidentally deleted and stuff..

now back to my problem.. secure zone or not, i am still getting the errors.. although operations seem to complete..

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello BrownChiLD,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Remote Workstation Disk Backup Software.

Please download and install the latest build (3887) of Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation. To get access to updates you should first register your software. Don't forget to recreate Acronis Bootable Rescue Media and reactivate Acronis Startup Recovery Manager (if active).

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.