Acronis TrueImage-incremental backup

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by mistycat, Feb 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mistycat

mistycat Registered Member

When scheduling an incremental backup, is it necessary to have my pc password protected? The reason I ask is when prompted for a pw when not pw protected, I receive the message that the backup may not succeed. However, the backuo completes successfully and can be verified. When I tried to use that backup recently, it didn't work. Thankyou

2. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Mistycat,

Sorry, I just saw your question.
    I'm afraid I don't have the answer (still using version 6 :oops: ).

Try to post your question also at the DSLR-software-forum (lots of experienced users of TI there):
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/sware

And of course you could always email Acronis Support.

3. mistycat

Will do. Thankyou

4. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Mistycat,

DP replied to your posting at DSLR:
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,9403819~mode=flat

Quoting DP:

I have not used the scheduling feature for incremental dumps but I think you may have stumbled onto a bug. I just tried to schedule one and as you see in the graphic, it says the image I selected is password protected when in fact it wasn't. I am concerned though that you went through the image dump and was not able to restore it. Send an email to support@acronis.com explaining what happened and that you were not able to restore after scheduling the task. I also will send them one about it identifying a previous image as password protected when it isn't.

- End quote -

Big thanks to DP ! :)

Mistycat,
    Please keep us informed if you get a reply from Acronis Support ;)

Cheers, Jan.

5. mistycat

Just a note to say I have heard from Acronis and that there will be a short delay in their response due to recent releases. Also, I no longer seem to be able to schedule incremental backups successfully without my pc being pw protected which is fine as long as I know that.

6. mistycat

The reply I just received from Acronis was to update and that a backup doesn't need to be pw protected. However, backups fail unless I enter user which isn't the pc name. Great forum. Thanks

7. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi,

Doesn't this update fix it for you:

http://www.acronis.com/support/updates/

Acronis TrueImage 7 build 595

Release date: February 24, 2004

Changes:

* User interface fixes
    * User's guide updates
    * Image password handling fixes
    * OS/2 partitions backup fixes
    * Icons handling fixes
    * "Activate" option in "Activate Startup Recovery" wizard added
    * Network fixes
    * Drive letter assignment fixes

8. mistycat

No, but thanks. Unless I change my pc name to user, scheduled backups fail. No other name will work but I no longer seem to need my pc pw protected. Maybe it was never a pw issue. Acronis answered today and is on this. Thanks again

9. FanJ

FanJ Guest

10. mistycat

I'm not sure but I believe the problems are contained to incremental backups. A password on the Image Archive seems to work fine for me. I have always pw protected my images, so I don't know. My problem is when I try to create an image with a pc name other than user, a box appears that says the login info is not correct, do I wish to proceed{the info is correct but I changed the pc name to user anyway} The backup schedules successfully and fails on implementation but not if I have user as the pc name. If that is the only problem. I'll just keep the name as user but I shouldn't have to. Thanks

11. mistycat

Well, I just heard from a different individual at Acronis regarding my last e-mail of Feb.27 who stated that I don't need a password{they already told me that}, what happened is impossible and with a link to their online purchases{I am already a registered user} Man, am I po'ed but I still think it's a great product. I'll just change my pc name and make my own incremental backups. Still, I wish I knew if it was on my end or theirs. Scheduled backups fail with the message:LOGON FAILURE;UNKNOWN USER NAME OR BAD PASSWORD. If I enter user{when the logon name is not user} ,all is well.Is there somewhere other than user names to enter a logon name? Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.