Acronis True Image won't format discs

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Da Mail Man, Mar 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J-Mac

J-Mac Registered Member

Thank you, Marat. That says that no other burning software is required to backup to DVD. I must be experiencing a different problem then. ATI 10 doesn't start the backup to DVD on my PC, saying that the disk is full and to please insert a blank disk. At first I had inserted a regular DVD+R disk in the optical drive by mistake. So I cancelled that job and started again with a fresh DVD-RW inserted. When I tell it to go, it first ejects the blank media and asks for a blank disk. I wait a moment and then simply close the tray, but it reopens very quickly and says that the disk is full and to please insert a blank disk. I tried this with a few different media brands: first with my top line Taiyo Yuden 8X, then I tried Verbatim and Maxell with the same result. (BTW, Taiyo Yuden is the highest quality and most reliable that I use.).

So I simply changed the location to my external Seagate drive.

My burner is a SONY DVD RW DRU-820A, one firmware revision behind the latest. (Sony and my PC mfr both told me that if it is burning well, to leave it at that FW Rev, as the latest is for a specific issue which prevents users from burning at all).

The burner is burning all esle perfectly, so I am not certain what is causing ATI to not be able to write to that drive.

If I simply use Nero or Roxio to burn a backup file saved on one of my hard drives, will that work OK?

Thank you.

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

That is the preferred way to do it ... I've seen it referred to as the 2-step process. You just have to split the file during the Imaging making process. Many users here say they use 1492Mb as the split size. It has something to with a sailor landing in America long long ago.:cool: :cool:

3. J-Mac

J-Mac Registered Member

Thank you.

So by "splitting" the file, do you mean to back up less? IOW, try to estimate how large the backuo file will be, and then remove items from the selected data until it is the correct size or smaller? Or is there a way to actually have ATI 10 break it up?

I have noticed that whenever I am starting a backup, I do not see any "estimated file size" or anything like that, which makes it a little difficult to gauge how much data to include in any given backup job. Help file doesn;t address this, that I can see. Of course I can determine the pre-backup size, but that is before ATI compresses it.

Is there such a feature that I have missed?

Thanks again!

4. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

No you don't backup less, just more small files. You don't have to estimate anything. During the Backup process there is a place where you can specify the split size before you hit the Proceed button to start the Backup. I forget exactly where. Go slowly through the Backup process and read each screen carefully.

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

You can either preset the split size via Tools > Options > Default backup options > Archive splitting or during the backup process via Create Backup Wizard > Choose backup options > Set options manually > Archive splitting. Choose a split size via the dropdown picklist or type your own figure into the textbox manually.

Regards

6. J-Mac

J-Mac Registered Member

Cool! Sounds good folks.

Thank you - Very much appreciated!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.