Acronis True Image with encrypted disks

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by wolfgang, Aug 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolfgang

wolfgang Registered Member

I have True Image 10 home. Have to questions:

a) Can i make a copy and/or backup of a w2k boot disk (drive c:) installed on system with a harddisk encrypted with pointsec ?

b) If second disk in same system (drive d:) is encrypted with truecrypt on partition level, can it be backed up and also copied with True Image ?

If I try it out, can I damage the encrypted disk, because during image backup of c;, true image will boot somehow before windows (assume in DOS) and for this process has to write something in MBR or somewhere on disk, and when pointsec is installed maybe destroy the pointsec encryption disk.

Or is all transparent and will work.

I do not want to start this test if I can loose my disk.

Any help appreciated.

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

You probably should search the forum for the word: encryption - there are several posts on it.

The short of it is that TI does not support encrypted disks but it may work.

When TI makes an image and does not recognize the file system then it reverts to its raw mode where it copies every sector in the partition so if you have a 100GB partition with only 5GB used, you get a 100GB image. However, this mode may allow it to do what you want. There is no way to force the raw mode with any command; TI makes the decision internally.

Cloning may work. The safest way to try it would be from the TI recovery CD.

Under no circumstances would I test this on your working disk. I would make the image backup but then remove the original working disk and put a spare drive into the system to do the test restore. For the ultimate in safety, setup an encrypted environment on a different disk and use it to make the image or clone from; with your originals out of the machine you can't accidently wreck them.

3. Pinchas

Pinchas Registered Member

give it a try by downloading a trial version.

if you will jus try to backuo usin atih 10.0 in win environment then it won't damage any of ur data. tho with demo version u won't be able to test backup using acr rescue cd as this feature is disabled.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello wolfgang,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that during the image creation Acronis True Image does not modify the imaged disk content in any way (not even MBR).

Please notice that when you create an image of encrypted hard drive using Acronis Bootable Rescue Media (raw data mode) the contents of the image will stay encrypted.

Please be aware that Acronis True Image does not officially support third-party encryption software. It is always possible to create a raw data image of hard drive though, which is the recommended method for such cases.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image 10.0 Home in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.