Acronis True Image WISH-LIST thread

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Dysthymia, Aug 10, 2004.

1. shieber

shieber Registered Member

I want to be able to have a task create a Full backup on a schedule, make another backup aeach time the task is run without deleting or overwriting prior Full backups, and then at a user-set limit, delete the oldest backup. This worked in ATI10 and 11 but was was stripped form ATI12/2009.

2. MrMorse

MrMorse Registered Member

My wish:

Ti2009 has to get rid of the image database.

3. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Restore the fuctionality of the secure zone so that it can manage scheduled backups on on the FIFO basis as in all previous Versions.

Second wish is that the user manuals should be revised so that it is immediately obvious that the Start up Recovery manager has its downside.

Xpilot

4. GRAC

GRAC Registered Member

Well, I have used the trial version for some time now, and I must say that it really is a vast improvement over the 11 version.

Still, I do think that some really basic stuff is missed out on, unneccesarily, see my previous posts for that.

But it really must be said that, for now, ATI is again the top-product for me. Now lets see how it behaves in the field.

Of course I'll also be back again to bash the product so it can get even better! ;-P

Keep up the good work!

5. Ltuae

Ltuae Registered Member

Ditto.

That basic deficiency is the main reason why Ati 2009 is useless to me (and my clients, who I have to I recommend against Acronis).

The alternative implementation supplied in Home 2009, what they call Consolidation, while "cute" in it's operation as pseudo substitute for performing a sequence of LIFO Full backups; is seriously resource and time intensive which makes it volatile to error (therefore too unsafe to trust for production-dependent environments).
    The shortest possible time, and the least disk writes, that backup software takes to do it's job the safer.

If in doubt test it yourself: measure (accurately) the total times and observe the disk-files writing/modifying activity on say; a simple 5-days cyclic Imaged backup Schedule, comparing Ati2009's Consolidation method [1 Full + 4 Incs] versus taking 5 Fulls [one per day].

Sheesh... And I only daily b/u a relatively small Sys partition too, under 50GB. Imagine what the equivalent durations and disk workout would be for those who use larger partitions to routinely image!

Doesn't make sense to me.
    The dumb (and dangerous) thing is that Consolidation rewrites/mods each and every of the previous Incrementals taken. Whereas a Full only tampers with one single file, far less to go wrong.

Maybe Consolidate has a useful reason to exist? I welcome anyone to explain and try to convince me that I'm doing things wrong and that it's useful or better.

{edited}

--
    Ltuae

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  6. jehosophat

jehosophat Registered Member

I agree with Xpilot and many others.
    Yes this is my Christmas wish to Santa too. And I have been a good boy this year!

7. jeremyotten

jeremyotten Registered Member

Zero-Install Hot Backup™ functionality

Storagecraft and Paragon already have this option

8. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Support for Linux ext2/ext3 partitions with the newer inode size of 256 bytes. Many of the latest Linux distributions are using ext3 partitions with 256-byte inodes.

9. pepin

pepin Registered Member

- Support for mounting backup images in folders.

- Support for old DOS style Windows desktop themes, I mean the ones that use black background for apps. Menu entries are in black, and can't barely seen if you use a XP theme with a black background.

10. jeremyotten

REQ :: Grand Father - Father - Son (GFS) Backup Scheme

Hey you guys this is what GFS means:

Grandfather-Father-Son Backup refers to the most common rotation scheme for rotating backup media. Originally designed for tape back up, it works well for any hierarchical backup strategy. The basic method is to define three sets of backups, such as daily, weekly and monthly. The daily or Son backups are rotated on a daily basis with one graduating to Father status each week. The weekly or Father backups are rotated on a weekly basis with one graduating to Grandfather status each month. Often one or more of the graduated backups is removed from the site for safekeeping and disaster recovery purposes.

You guys already give this option in the backup location cleanup function of Acronis Recovery for Microsoft Exchange.

So my question is when will this be implemented in True Image Echo ;-)

11. jeremyotten

REQ :: Embed Enterprise agent in Enterprise full product

This means when I just install the Enterprise Standalone option I can also manage it with the console without having to deploy the agent to this machine... shouldn't be so hard and Storagecraft already does it..

12. mdbassman

mdbassman Registered Member

Step-BY-Step How To

Nice for technically challenged people to have in User Guide or on line a step-by-step guide with how to copy 1) a specific drive and ALL its contents to an External HD or new internal HD.2) How to move files and ALL there contents from computer to external HD.
    Using examples like moving c:\ drive and contents to ehd. Using example backup drive names so on.
    Then how to check to make sure info transferred is on ehd.

13. evvivame

evvivame Registered Member

Full backbackup with date

Hello
    My wish is the possibility, with a special option, add automatically to full backup the date & time

Example:

myfullbackup.ddmmyy.hhmmss.tib

I hope clear..
    Thanks
    Luciana

14. bobmcg

bobmcg Registered Member

1. get rid of the image database.
    2. Provide option to select temp directory to be used for consolidation. This would aid performance by allowing use of 2nd physical disk as work space.

15. caleum

caleum Registered Member

Step one: Partner with "enter NAS vendor here"
    (I happen to like Buffalo; plus they're hurting because of the lawsuit)

Step two: Make their device pxe boot windows boxes with acronis software
    (I've already done this part)

Step three: Have backups managed for an entire office through password authenticated user-level access to individual "incremental" files whereby
    all machines have a common "master" file.

Step four: Create a daemon which runs on the NAS box and does on-the-fly optimization of backup files by merging
    repetitious data into the "master" file.

Step five: ...?

Step six: Hire me?

Step seven: profit!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  16. jehosophat

Run a spell checker on the help file.

17. dwalby

dwalby Registered Member

I'd like to see an 'Acronis TI Lite' version without any bells and whistles.

Just do a full manual backup image as fast as possible with minimal user convenience features to bloat the package.

Same on restore, minimal features, but keep the ability to take an image created with one partition size and restore it to a new partition of a different size.

It seems like the basic Acronis imaging/restoration engine works pretty well. The various features added for user control and convenience seem to run into problems because there are so many possible platform combinations out there. Would the basic functionality for imaging/restoration work any faster or more reliably if the tool were stripped down just to offer those basic capabilities? Less claims of corrupted images perhaps?

18. kebwob

kebwob Registered Member

Absolutely agree. All I need is something that makes and restores backups outside of windows (the standalone boot media), and a simple image browser that works within windows to access individual files within images.

A standalone Windows Image Browser that just lets you browse images and pull files out of them from within Windows (does not make or restore backups) is all thats missing in ATI.

19. jehosophat

Add a menu item -"check for updates" feature

Although I registered a year ago with Acronis and ticked the boxes to get news of important updates I never got any emails about ATI2009 or build 9646

So this feature would mean that I did not have to rely on the Acronis mailing system.

20. StuartBaby

StuartBaby Registered Member

A true enterprise level central management console for Echo server which will allow for the central management of multiple servers.

Thanks,
    Stuart.

21. maiki

maiki Registered Member

Some kind of automation would be nice. I don't mean the current option to execute a batch file before or after a backup or restore. I mean the possibility to enter one command line that will start Acronis True Image, tell it exactly what you want it to do (create a backup, what kind, options, where, etc., or similarly with restore).

If that is already possible, let me know how, but I could not find anything about it on the Acronis knowledge base.

22. maiki

maiki Registered Member

I was thinking that the TI System State backup, could function as a System Restore alternative, if it could function a little differently. (Well, of course it can in a way, now, but it's too much trouble to use every time one wants to create a restore point.)

System Restore has a similar function to Backup and Restore, but it is different as well. It does not involve backing up the whole drive, but just takes a quick snapshot of the system, that can be restored if necessary. If the user is to frequently take these snapshots, they need to be easy and quick to make, not having to wade through lots of menus.

The problem with Windows System Restore in XP (I don't know if it's been improved in Vista), is that it doesn't always work. Sometimes it has saved me, but other times I have done a restore, it spends time "restoring", then reboots, after which I see an error message that it could not restore to the point I chose. Also, sometimes restore points are automatically deleted, without asking the user, and one does not have the desired point to restore to. If one even temporarily stops the SR service, all the restore points are deleted. (By delete, I don't mean Recycle Bin, but completely deleted.)

It would be nice to have a reliable alternative. I've been trying Rollback RX, but I really don't like how it completely takes over your system, how it uses SO much space, which is completely invisible (I don't know how they hide the space they are using), how it is not compatible with defragging, uses a lot of system resources, slows down the system, more system freeze-ups, etc.

Well- Acronis True Image can take a system snapshot as well, the System State backup option, which I think is pretty reliable.

However, for an alternative to System Restore, I would like to be able to click one icon, see a dialogue to choose to make a new snapshot (create a new restore point, whatever), if so give it a name, or restore an existing one, if so choose which one, then click next, and it does it.

Whereas with the System State backup of TI, just like with any TI backup or restore, one has to go through a lot of menus, make a lot of choices, etc., before the backup is actually executed. For me, that is fine, when one is making a full or incremental backup of the entire hard drive, a major operation. But for a System Restore alternative, there should be a simple quick way to do it, not the usual way of doing a TI backup.

Besides initiating such snapshots manually, there could be an option (not required) to have a background process running, that could be set to create a snapshot on bootup, or every 4 bootups, and/or whenever one installs a program, or makes a registry edit, or however one wants to set it. Some might prefer, however, not to add an extra background process, not to have backups done automatically, but just do it manually when they wish to. (If someone chooses to do the backups only manually, there really is no need for any kind of background process.) Good to have a lot of configuration options--for instance--how much info to store in the snapshots--less info means less drive space taken up by the snapshots, but also a less thorough restore if needed.

One usually backs up with TI to an external drive. (For instance, in backing up a whole drive, I don't think it could be backed up to itself.) But for a System Restore alternative, the default should probably be, as with SR, to store the snapshots on the main boot drive, with options to store them elsewhere if preferred. (And when stored on the main boot drive, unlike with SR, where the restore points are in a hidden folder, that by default is inaccessible (although one can open that up with some knowledge), or Rollback, which hides its snapshots completely, impossible (AFAIK) to see in any way, I think it should be easy to move the snapshots from the internal boot drive to an external drive when one wants to, to free up space, without deleting them.)

It sure would be nice if the System State Backup could be developed as an alternative to Windows System Restore, just as easy and quick to use as SR, but more reliable, more options, etc., and be included with TI.

Of course the TI bootable CD should be able to restore these snapshots, if the system won't boot.

In the meantime, as a workaround, if the command line options I suggested in another post were possible, one could possibly create a command line to quickly create a "restore point" with TI system state backup, which one could create a shortcut for on the desktop, start menu, or quick launch menu.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  23. supdeco1

supdeco1 Registered Member

Hello

I think it will be a great feature, to have the possibility to copy the image file, from a cardridge, to another media (like external DD)

Actually, when we want to restore just file from a cardridge backup it's very slow. If i could transfert the image file of a LTO/dat to another media, it reduce the time to restore files, or it will reduce time if i need to modify the size of partition.

thanks

24. supdeco1

supdeco1 Registered Member

My wish is that acronis can create a specifique threat with only the functions add, from wishes. like the first page of this threat.

There are plenty of whishes and we don't know if wishes have been realized

(sorry for my poor english)

25. mantra

mantra Registered Member

put the mft (file system ) in the right place and not in a space order

i mean when i recover a image to a partition with the recovery cd , i found the MFT files in a space order

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.