Acronis True Image WISH-LIST thread

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Dysthymia, Aug 10, 2004.

1. John Farrar

John Farrar Registered Member

Provide a dialogue (dialog) box to enable selection of folders/files to be EXCLUDED from a backup.
    Thank you
    John

2. VanguardLH

VanguardLH Registered Member

When using the Secure Zone, the user has no means of determining how fast its disk space is getting consumed. As a feature request, and after the backup has successfully completed, add an entry in the log showing what is the size of the backup file that got created in the Secure Zone. Even though (or until) a guage is provided to show the current consumption of the Secure Zone, the user could get the sizes of the backup files that still exist in the Secure Zone (by a roundabout method of starting a Restore operation to get a list of available backups and then abort there restore procedure). The user then has some information to determine if they need or want to change their backup scheme (i.e., to perform fewer backups or use incrementals and not differentials).

3. scottvf

scottvf Registered Member

Have an option to reboot before creating image. It's a more reliable backup option. I think some issues are caused by creating the image while windows is running and changing files in the process. This way I can image from my desktop instead of using the boot cd all the time.

4. marstein

marstein Registered Member

Meaningful log messages

The messages in my log look like

This is totally useless. Put more information! Which clone operation failed? What drive? Target file/drive.

What does the "archive computer .closed" message mean? Is there a bug when writing the message that the name of the computer stays empty?

Thanks

5. ProblemCity

ProblemCity Registered Member

Make TrueImage *.tib files, TI Version number Identifiable.

I do tend to buy the new version of Acronis products when they are launched. I have noted though with TrueImage that as far as backward compatibility goes, Acronis only guarantees the preceeding versions images (no older) to be compatible with the latest TI product.
    Seeing I don't always write down which version of TI was used to create a backup of my PC, its likely I could run into problems.

6. kickarse

kickarse Registered Member

I will second or third or 100th the ability add our own drivers. I mean Symantec Ghost has had that ability since it incarnation.

7. hinzer

hinzer Registered Member

my request: automatically mark an archive as successfully validated.

8. BWalter

BWalter Registered Member

Very good! I like to have the same and in addition the opportunity to delete some Backups (like older Diff's) in the Secure Zone to have always enough space.
    Bernd

9. macooper

macooper Registered Member

In the email backup section, add the ability to backup email from Mozilla Thunderbird.

10. PeterPann

PeterPann Registered Member

I second this. The optimum would be:

1. Start a job from Windows: Computer optionally reboots and performs the partition image backup BEFORE Windows starts.

2. Optionally, after the job has completed, the computer automatically will shut down.

11. PeterPann

I second this. It could be done by several ways, but the most OS-independent way would be to add something (e.g. ValOk) to the name of the backup.

12. PeterPann

I second this.

13. rodrigt

rodrigt Registered Member

It seems to me that TI Echo Workstation + Universal Restore would be a killer application if Acronis bundled it and marketed it to the masses at a much lower price.

Why? As a home user with three old machines I dread the though of getting a new PC and having to reinstall everything - I have nightmares about this!

From a PC World article (find.pcworld.com/58928 ) I found out that unlike the popular True Image 11, for an extra $20 I could get TI Echo Workstation and be able to restore my stuff onto a new computer with a different hardware profile (requires a $30 license for the Universal Restore add-on, which can be purchased later).

14. Michel Merlin

Michel Merlin Registered Member

rodrigt, it seems to be PC World article 139821 First Aid for Your Hard Drive posted Tue 20 Nov 2007 19:00 GMT by Steve Bass.
    Versailles, Fri 4 Jan 2008 11:07:30 +0100

15. PeterPann

rodrigt, you mean that with Acronis Universal Restore I could avoid to reinstall the whole operating system when I put a new motherboard into my computer? Is this reliable? Does it work with every hardware without problems? This would be a great feature! So why Acronis did not add this feature to True Image 11 Home? This is something every user would need!

16. rodrigt

rodrigt Registered Member

Michael Merlin wrote:
    > it seems to be PC World article 139821 First Aid for Your Hard Drive
    -- Wow, I’ll want to digest this informative article and included links – Thanks.

PeterPann wrote:
    > you mean that with Acronis Universal Restore I could avoid to reinstall the whole operating system when I put a new motherboard into my computer? Is this reliable? Does it work with every hardware without problems?
    -- According to the product’s very clear claim it is possible to change (paraphrasing) ‘all your stuff’, operating system + data ‘as is’ onto a new PC… which should include motherboard changes or going to an entirely new machine. At this point (having never before used any Acronis software) I’m testing the 15-day trial version of TI Echo Workstation… Please check/join the thread I started at https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=196464 where someone has commented on his success using this process… moreover, he transferred to another machine with a virtual machine environment.

PeterPann wrote:
    > This would be a great feature! So why Acronis did not add this feature to True Image 11 Home? This is something every user would need!
    -- Indeed, it would seem be a no-brainer for the marketing geniuses at Acronis to capitalize on this… and evidently this capability has been available in the corporate world for a long time… If this (Work Station + Universal Restore) really, really works, I can’t imagine any PC (Mac?) user not wanting to use it. For me, the thought of ‘starting from scratch’ on a new machine is a horrible nightmare… thus I’m planning to buy an extra hard drive, so that I can try migrating the OS/data from one PC to a different one.

17. ClarenceE

ClarenceE Registered Member

TI 11 absorbed some of the Acronis Privacy Expert Suite functions. The Disk Cleanup funcitons is one. It fails to cleanup all of my partitions and Acronis is having a tough time trying to get it right.
    I'd like to see the rest of the Privacy Expert Suite functions become part of TI.:thumb:

18. wbierman

wbierman Registered Member

It would be great if one could specify additional drivers to include in the bootable media... say the Linux drivers for some raid controller?

19. giger1234

giger1234 Registered Member

I have a problem,I can not restore
    all my data to my new notebook which is
    Asus X51R with Acronis Suite,OS XP,i give up....please
    advice me

20. FlyinHawaiian

FlyinHawaiian Registered Member

I'd like to put in my request for Removable Disk Support, As of right now you can read and recover images from a Removable Disk, but you cannot restore to them (at least via the Bootable Media Disk). I've been doing a ton of stuff with my Asus EeePC and the ability to backup Removable Media (such as SDHC and Flash drives where I have my Windows XP installation) would be a huge help!

21. giger1234

giger1234 Registered Member

ok thanks

22. Big Tom

Big Tom Registered Member

My number one wish would be a software that actually works as advertised.

Tom

23. lukasz123

lukasz123 Registered Member

My wish list?
    - better&faster support
    - software more tested before release (TI 11)

Regards,
    Lukasz

24. mark_p

mark_p Registered Member

I'd like to see a much cleaner way to view and delete backups that have been made.

1) When exploring a backup location, view backups as a 'tree' of backup folders. For example, a full backup would be a folder and incremental backups shown as entries in date order.

2) Allow the use to delete specific backups within this view. For example, allow them to delete either the last incremental backup, or any of the individual differential backups within a folder, or entire backups including the full backup itself.

3) List the backups in date order correctly for systems such as the UK that have DD/MM/YYYY format. Currently they are listed in alphabetical order, this results in out-of-sequence ordering.

4) A valid backup may consists of a full backup and either a single differential backup, or a full backup and all of the incremental ones. Currently it seems validation, and consolidation, requires all of the differential backups to be present. It is perfectly valid to delete any one of the differential backups or the last incremental backup.

5) Give the ability in this folders type view to see via a checkbox whether the backup has been successfully verified.

Mark.

25. Interested Party

Interested Party Registered Member

Three suggestions:

1) Provide a way for deletions of image backups (full and incrementals) in the Secure Zone. (I can't run Try&Decide because old, un-needed backups have filled it up).

2) Allow option in System Clean-up to not attempt to delete system files (or other files that are in use) in temp folders rather than having the application display a message box asking if it should ignore it or not. This would increase the ability for it to run unattended.

3) Need the ability to clone tasks. For instance, incremental backups can be more easily created for several time per month and have consistant settings.

- Interested Party

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.