Acronis True Image WISH-LIST thread

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Dysthymia, Aug 10, 2004.

1. jeremyotten

jeremyotten Registered Member

- Being able to make system state backup en restore system state after the restore of a DC (when you have multiple DC's) so that everything is alright and there will be no USN rollback needed!!

Please implement this would complete the product a LOT!

2. DanielLee

DanielLee Registered Member

Please, please for the sanity of the planet change the "one click no more" feature of True Image Home to "two click restore". What a nightmare.

Thank you in advance.

Daniel Lee

3. sensia

sensia Registered Member

Just want to add to the list of 11 page requests- get a newer kernel, so we don't have to mess with hitting F11 key with wireless KB/mouse sets. If Linus fully support them, why can not TI?

4. ralphieboy

ralphieboy Registered Member

I'm a new TI Home user, been testing it thoroughly over the last five days. Bought the stuff after only one day of testing, because I could tell it was that good. Lovin' it.

I've only found two things so far that I'd like to see. Don't know if they've already been requested, but they sure don't seem to already be there:

1. Give "scheduled" jobs the ability to get kicked off upon insertion of an external USB drive. That way, for example, my incremental job would launch whenever I simply plug my drive into my laptop.

2. Have the ability to create a shortcut to the scheduled job on the Windows Desktop and/or Start Menu, etc., so that I can start the incremental job without launching the full program first. I know it's not many clicks the way it is, but less is always better.

Cheers, and thanks for writing such a kickin' app!

Ralphieboy

5. ralphieboy

Re: no nonsense version

Why? Just to save a couple of bucks? For something as important as backup, TI Home is already dirt cheap (inexpensive).

6. ralphieboy

I think you could do this using BartPE boot CD. I built a Bart PE CD and TI integrated very nicely onto it. Works great.

7. ralphieboy

Here's another one from me for the Wishlist:

Have two wish lists -- one for the Home product, and one for Corporate. Because I don't care what's lacking in the Corporate product, since I don't use it, capiche? I'm reading these wish-list items, and I can't even tell which product they're referring to. For pete's sake, they're pretty different products, aren't they? Come on, how about giving TI Home its own wish list?

R

8. ralphieboy

Currently, I have a backup task that points to removable media (USB drive) as the target. I cannot edit this task without the removable media present. That's a bummer. I should be able to edit the task no matter what, I would think.

9. ralphieboy

Yes, searchable help would be nice.

OK, so TI's not perfect.

10. Andred

Andred Registered Member

Here an important wish

Once a week, I run a Complete Image of two disks and write them on two different partitions. The other days of the week, I run a differential image. Every week, I have to delete old files to make up space. We have an automated backup, but we have to manage them manually.

Secure Zone has a nice feature to manage that. It will be nice to implement that auto clean up with the basic Imaging without SZ. I tried with SZ, but I found no way to have two SZ on two different disks. It should not be too difficult to implement auto clean up on True Image Home. I write my Image on two dedicated partition.

11. tonkin

tonkin Registered Member

I don't have time to read 510 posts and it's probably been said before many times, but it's worth saying again:

OHMYGOD why is it so complicated with batch files and all that just to overwrite incremental/differential backup files with ATI Home?!! Not everyone needs XXX versions of backup files taking up huge amounts space on an external hard drive. :mad:

Hello, why not just have a feature in the wizard asking if you want to overwrite files. I mean come on, duh, it's so obvious! :eek:

12. CCS-Ron

CCS-Ron Registered Member

We are running this product on a number of servers.
    We have configured TI to run a script which stops and starts SQL server.

When we receive an email with an error and then run TI the program advises that an error has occured you have to click ok to go any further. At this point TI runs any uncompleted scheduled tasks which also runs our script which then promptly boots everyone out of their SQL application. :(

1/ Ti needs any option to disable running any scheduled tasks that have not run due to an earlier error.
    2/ Ti needs to continue to run scheduled tasks when an error has been encountered if this error does not involve the partition that is scheduled for backup.

Ron

13. gking

gking Registered Member

I may not be aware of the feature but it would help if on the first screen upon start of True Image, we can select an existing previously defined backup.
    The system could have an option to open existing definitions, select it and continue with the process.
    If it is there, the design does not make it obvious to those using it.

14. Christopher_NC

Christopher_NC Registered Member

While this is not a thread for discussion, I will point you to an excellent post that may help you:

Re: TI9 How to rotate out older image backups

Be sure when you manage your .tib files manually, that you do not delete any differentials midway thru a cycle, as all are required to validate, as of now.

15. jeremyotten

jeremyotten Registered Member

I would like Acronis Snap Deploy 2.0 to be fully functionial for xp embedded thinclients and maybe event wince and linux clients...

16. Datajockeys

Datajockeys Registered Member

Re: Wish-list thread

I agree, we need to:

1) Have the ability to burn off (move to DVD) the base backup and take it "off line" and let the incrementals stay on the backup drive.

2) Need the ability to limit backup drive space so incrementals dont fill up the target drive.

3) We need to be able to manually set when full and incremental backups are performed.

17. dhc0329

dhc0329 Registered Member

support for SATA II drives.

18. jaycee

jaycee Registered Member

Please....

Support in Rescue Boot CD of VMAdditions (extra drivers and extra performance) for VMWare and MS Virtual Server.

Bof are available for Linux, so could be integrated easily, no?

Ciao, and TIA

Jaycee

19. SatTracker

SatTracker Registered Member

Dysthymia, I'd like to see not only within the program, but in this forum as well, a section of discussion about the use of pre-backup and post-backup commands (batch files, and other programs) that others have found most useful with this product - and sharing of some of those batch files, along with a description of what these commands will accomplish for the user.

I've written a two page batch that finds:

What date it is
    What month it is
    What day-of-week it is - give it a name, ie, Saturday, Sunday
    What day of month it is
    Number of days in the month
    What year it is

From that is finds:
    How many days left in the current month
    Is it leap year

Prompts if the last day is near, and auto closes out the
    monthly backup and arhives it is the End Of Month or close enough to warrant closing it (because EOM occurs on the weekend, etc.) It provides user prompting.. and is called from within TI at the start of the backup, and I use other batch files post-backup to get things where they are needed.

There's bound to be many others that create such things that others would like to try *(no warranty on whether or not these would work on the systems of others - knowledge required, etc.)

Let me know if such a section would be possible - or impossible, due to user complaints... *grin*

20. ronstephens

ronstephens Registered Member

This is a REALLY STUPID TRITE request, but one that I sure would appreciate anyways:

When you create the numerically increasing archive files, would you be so kind as to zero fill the number in front so they appear--
    name0000001.tib
    name0000002.tib
    name0000003.tib
    etc...
    I could visually check if all the files of an archive are present that way by just scrolling down the list. (all ya gotta do is change that printf in the code! :)

As it is, as everyone knows, you get
    name1.tib
    name10.tib
    name100.tib
    name11.tib
    name19.tib
    name2.tib
    name200.tib
    etc, which is confusing to check.
    Thanks!
    -ron

21. Senataur

Senataur Registered Member

The abillity to Script the behaviour of the Bootable Rescue Media.

i.e,
    - Change the default boot option.
    - Change the default kernel options.
    - change the timeout
    etc etc etc....

But also to be able to script actions for the rescue disk.
    i.e, to be able to create a rescue disk that will boot up, and begin cloning a drive from 1 drive that has data, to another dirve that has none, with no user interaction required.

22. digiclone

digiclone Registered Member

Can you please fix the email notifications? I work for a consulting company and we have around 500 client companies we work for. We try to sell Acronis TrueImage to every single company we work for. The problem is we have Acronis TI setup at each company to email us the notifications. Unfortunately, we cannot tell by looking at the "From" address or by the "Subject" which company the email is coming from and it doesn't even say if it was successful or not. We have to open the email and search through it to try and figure out where it came from and look at the bottom of the email body to see if it was successful. As you can imagine this does not work well at all. Try going through 500 messages like this - it takes forever and many times it isn't even possible to figure out which company the email came from at all. We need to be able to enter a subject in the notification. It would also be nice if the "From" field would actually show the email it came from instead of "=?UTF-8?Q?[to address]?=" Otherwise we could put the name of the client in the "Subject" field if TrueImage offered that option.

If you look at the Backup Exec product you can see how email notifications have been accomplished with great success. Thank-you.

23. Euth

Euth Registered Member

I think the following options should be added to One-Click Restore:

1. User specified partition size

2. System specified partition size

3. Single partition mode

These options should work like:

1. The user specifies the partition size in the right pane under the one-click restore option. Upon restore, TI should make the partition the size specified by the user only if it will fit on the drive, without harming other partitions. If the specified size is smaller than the existing partition, it should render the remaining space as unallocated space, which could then be recovered by another partitioning application.

2. The user selects this option to disallow partition resizing. The system already has the partition size and TI should conform to it. If the image will not fit, it should error out at the end, or possibly prompt an error before the restore (developer's purgative).

3. The user should select this option if he/she wants to only run a one partition system. This option would act just as the current one-click restore works.

During recovery on a non-partitioned drive option #2 should fallback to option #3 creating a single partition. It just makes sense, especially for the novice user.

I'd also like to see a "create ISO image" option for One-Click Restore.
    That way I can transfer the ISO to a machine with a DVD burner.

Thoughts?

Attached Files:

24. pan2

pan2 Registered Member

I'd really like TI to have some sort of data verification option after a backup. This would conduct a bit by bit comparison of the source and destination data to ensure that nothing was corrupted during the copy.

25. excexe

excexe Registered Member

i'd like to see ATI implement into their task scheduling feature a 'windows shutdown after backup is complete' option. this way you can set your bios to turn on your pc at a certain time so ATI can do it's job and automatically shut down the pc afterwards.

useful if you want your backup to be done while your asleep or out of town!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.