Acronis True Image - backup to DVDs

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tcolling, Nov 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcolling

tcolling Registered Member

Hi -

I have Acronis True Image 8 on my laptop and I back up to an external hard disk drive with True Image - and that setup works great.

I just purchased a Compaq Presario SR1130NX desktop for my office and I would like to use True Image to back up that computer to the DVD writer that came with the Compaq. It is a LITEON drive. However, when I downloaded the trial of True Image and tried to back up to that DVD drive, I get an error stating that it could not write to the DVD.

Can anyone suggest a route to solving this problem? I don't have NERO on the desktop, but it came with a Sonic software product called RecordNow. I can use BackupMyPC to back up to that DVD drive (that is what I am doing, for now) but I would prefer to use True Image.

Thanks,
    Tim

PS - I tried to get help on this myself by first attempting to search this forum using the search term "DVD" but the forum software rejected that search criterion as being too common a word to search on (!). - tc

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi Tim

Firstly, use TI to image to separate partition or second HD. If the image is going to be less than the capacity of the DVD then opt to split the image manually at a fixed size of 1.9GB, otherwise split at 635MB.

Use your normal DVD burning software (not UDF packet writing) to create a new compilation and burn the .tib files to DVD. If you opted to split the original image at 635MB you will be able to burn a maximum of 7 .tib files per blank ISO 9660 DVD+/-R or RW.

If your image spanned 2 or more DVDs then, when restoring, the last disk will need to be inserted first.

Please note the limitations of the trial software regarding restoration of images.

Regards

Last edited: Nov 14, 2004
  3. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Just a question along this line. Since you have to split the image, for me 635 MB files to burn on a DVD, does that mean the image would be useless as far as restoring files and folders since it breaks down into several files? If so, would you need to keep an image on the hard drive that was composed of only one file inorder to restore files and folders from partitions? Thank you.

Gary

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Gary

At this point in time TI can't Explore a split image that's been spanned across two or more disks. Just copy all the .tib files back into a single temporary directory on your HD and mount the image from there. NOTE - you do not need to do this if the split image is contained on a single DVD.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.