Acronis True Image 2018

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by manolito, Aug 22, 2017.

1. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

2. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Thanks. I had the doubt.

3. Arvy

Arvy Registered Member

@paulderdash -- As I understand it, that downloadable "special" cleanup utility was/is intended for use when the normal Windows "Programs and Features" uninstall process fails to accomplish a complete cleanup which has a big problem historically. It has been a very long time since I actually used it myself, but I seem to recall that it wasn't 100% successful back then. It is supposed to handle removal of those kernel mode drivers and related device class filter services that I mentioned above, but for some reason, I ended up having to complete the job manually. That is definitely not something I'd recommend for the faint of heart. Sequencing is critical and any ordering mistake can result in a system that is completely unbootable, even in safe mode.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Paul

I use the Pro Version of Revo uninstaller. Has never hurt anything and it thorough. As always image first

5. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

Peter, do you use Revo only for those uninstallations where you have "monitored" the installation itself or also in case you did not do so?

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

If it's not far from the install point,then I use Macrium and do a restore. If its to far away in time then I use Revo. I don't monitor installs.

7. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

I have Revo Pro also. Thanks, will image first.

8. Arvy

Arvy Registered Member

At the request of @oliverjia I have listed all of the files required for including the new ATI 2018 application in "customised" WinPE x64 builds. For anyone else here who may also be interested, that listing can be viewed and downloaded on my Google drive here. A script is also available there for possible use with WinBuilder projects, or both the script and the file list are available together as a ZIP file package. So far, I have fully tested it with Win10PE SE only, but I see no reason why it would not work equally well with other WinPE x64 versions including Win8.1PE SE and Win7PE SE.

9. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Love it! Macrium has become a verb...

10. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

Thanks Arvy! This is very nice work to circumvent the bloat of ATI installer. I'll play around your script over the weekend and let you know if I have further questions. Very appreciate your guidance and sharing of your knowledge with Wilders community.

11. Arvy

Arvy Registered Member

You're welcome. Hope it gives you what you wanted. I have now tested that script with those other two WinBuilder project PE versions and can confirm that it works fine with those as well. You may need to adjust the variable for your own location of that file and folder structure, but the option for doing that is included in the script. Good luck with it.

12. Atari800xl

Atari800xl Registered Member

Nice to see the WinPESE projects mentioned here. All credits go to ChrisR!

As luck would have it, he's back on the projects after a 6 month "leave"...
    Win10PESE now supports Windows 10 version 1703 (15063).

The new project downloads were released just an hour ago:

Updated Win10PE_SE_2017-08-25
    Changes:
    Win 10 1703 Creator Update
    (build 15063) Support
    Added MultiLanguage Desktop.ini Support in many plugins
    Download, Upload (Admins) and Compare buttons Extended
    wimlib updated to v1.12.0
    GetWaikTools updated to v17.4
    Shell & Config add "Open command prompt here" instead of Powershell pushed by Microsoft in Win10 1703
    Macro Library (ML) updated to v43.78
    Shell Loader pecmd updated to v1201.88.05.78 Stable (170727) with Smallhelp.
    Explorer workAround to 'black boxes' on some systems with transparent.ico.
    ClassicShell updated to v4.3.1
    Start10 updated to v1.55
    StartIsBack++ updated to v2.0.9
    Network only CopyDriverStore for netvwifibus netvwififlt netvwifimp to get Wlan work.
    My Computer - Name changed Logo 48x48 jpg.
    Q-Dir Nenad updated to v6.67
    AgentRansack updated to v2016 Build 867
    Flash Package updated to v26.0.0.151 (x86/x64). Works also for plugins that are not in the same folder.
    Mozilla Firefox updated to v55.0.2
    Portabilitron add shortcut support for PE1.
    Media Player Classic-HC updated to v1.7.13
    Sysinternals Process Monitor download Procmon v3.33
    WinNTSetup updated to v3.8.7.4. Dropped the wow64 support in WinNTSetup_x86.exe.
    Optimizations add AutoRotation
    StartMenu Local Apps, StartMenu Desktop.ini
    qEmu X Emulation runs your ISO in QEMU (With Latest X version). v2.10.0-rc3 - 20170816 and v2.7.0 20160903 for latest NT5x support.
    PluginManager updated to v.2.15
    Hiderun by Galapo
    Plugin_Creator PC Packed added delay CheckBox, improved RunAsSystem...
    Rufus updated to v2.16.1170

Thanks for sharing the files, Arvy! I've been using Acronis like this for a few years now, and never use the full version anymore.
    Have you ever tried using the "portable" approach (=starting the services "on demand" using sc.exe?)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  13. Atari800xl

Arvy, please excuse my ignorance, but what are the huge ramdisk_merged files for? I seem to need only around 50mb worth of files in PE.
    (These files can be directly extracted from the installer by using 7zip using "open inside", the WinPE.zip are pretty much all you need, but maybe you're using extra functionality that I'm not aware of?)

14. Arvy

Arvy Registered Member

@Atari800xl -- Rats! He would have to update that W10 project package within hours of my updating my own builds using W10 v1607. Fortunately, I already have the W10 v1703 ISO available, but I'll need to redownload that new package to test all of my own scripts with it. Oh well, more fun. :rolleyes:

No, I've never felt any need for special handling. All of my "multipurpose" WinPE builds work fine "out of the box" so to speak. I almost always do my backup imaging that way for several reasons including immediate verification within a "rescue" environment.

15. Atari800xl

Time for a WinPESE topic? (Would be nice! There isn't one yet, is there?)

BTW: There's a new Acronis build, as well...(9207)

16. Arvy

Arvy Registered Member

Not one specific to WinPESE. The issue arose here in relation to the recent Acronis 2018 release and a user request for a way to add it to a multipurpose WinPE build.

Thanks ... I guess I'll stay with 9202 until Acronis settles things down a little more. For me, it's primarily experimental and those downloads are too large for daily updating. :rolleyes:

17. Atari800xl

I use something like this to extract the PE files:

wget.exe http://dl.acronis.com/s/AcronisTrueImage2018_beta.exe
    7z.exe e AcronisTrueImage2018_beta.exe acronis*.msi
    7z.exe" e AcronisTrueImage.msi _35_*
    ren _35_*.* pe.zip
    7z.exe e pe.zip files32\*.* -otarget\TrueImagePortable-x86\main
    7z.exe e pe.zip files32\drivers\Microsoft.VC120.CRT\*.* -otarget\TrueImagePortable-x86\main
    7z.exe e pe.zip files32\drivers\fltsrv.sys -otarget\TrueImagePortable-x86\drivers
    7z.exe e pe.zip files32\drivers\snapapi.dll -otarget\TrueImagePortable-x86\drivers
    7z.exe e pe.zip files32\drivers\snapman.sys -otarget\TrueImagePortable-x86\drivers
    7z.exe e pe.zip files64\*.* -otarget\TrueImagePortable-x64\main
    7z.exe e pe.zip files64\drivers\Microsoft.VC120.CRT\*.* -otarget\TrueImagePortable-x64\main
    7z.exe e pe.zip files64\drivers\fltsrv.sys -otarget\TrueImagePortable-x64\drivers
    7z.exe e pe.zip files64\drivers\snapapi.dll -otarget\TrueImagePortable-x64\drivers
    7z.exe e pe.zip files64\drivers\snapman.sys -otarget\TrueImagePortable-x64\drivers

After this, you just need some kind of "launcher" in PE, that encodes the serial and puts it in the registry, start the services with sc.exe and runs the program.

If possible, can you share some more light on what I asked in message #38? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2017
  18. Arvy

Arvy Registered Member

Sorry. I overlooked that question. For testing purposes I just used the complete set of files that ATI 2018 included in creating its own "most appropriate" WinPE build. It may be that not all of them are essential in all cases, but my primary purpose in responding to a "short-term" request in this particular context was to ensure (at least initially) total consistency with the software manufacturer's own handling of its WinPE building process. I'm sure others -- notably WinPESE developers themselves if they're so inclined -- will be able to offer many refinements for both the file list and the script in due course, but for now, it works under all conditions that I've been able to test myself.

19. Atari800xl

Thanks. I was just wondering if I was missing out on some cool stuff...

I've been using the 50mb (x86) or 60mb (x64) set of files for years, it's all you need for simple "cold" imaging. Never use "full" Acronis anymore. Judging from the "other" topic, lots of people don't use Acronis anymore (and don't know about/ can't be bothered with) the PE stuff (let alone the portable thingamajig).

20. Arvy

Arvy Registered Member

@Atari800xl -- Understood. As you suggested above, the PE stuff is a very large topic in itself, especially for "extremists" like me who make every backup destination drive independently bootable to multipurpose rescue utility environments, but I guess we'd better not stray any further away from the specific ATI 2018 topic of this thread.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.