Acronis True Image 2015

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by DVD+R, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Thanks treehouse. With that info I won't consider installing a trial.

2. marzametal

marzametal Registered Member

Ahh yeah, the extra tab. It can be removed via one of the Nirsoft lil' context menu tweak apps. Having said that, and to agree with above posts, an OPTION to install or not would've been tip-top. Even if one reverts to 2014, wouldn't they be hounded with "upgrade to 2015" notices?

3. manolito

manolito Registered Member

IMO this is pure semantics, and it is nonsense...

Upon installing TI 2015 the file "TrueImage Tools.exe" is copied on your HDD into the True Image folder. None of the tools is installed. Secure Zone or Startup Manager are only installed if you execute the file and request the installation.

This is like saying that Microsoft installs something by copying a file like "Diskpart.exe" to your HDD upon Windows installation. Only if you run "Diskpart.exe" you can create a new partition. And this is exactly how you install a Secure Zone (no, you are not activating it, you are installing it by executing "TrueImage Tools.exe" with the appropriate parameter).

And the Explorer integration also is a non-issue. The .tib file extension is associated with the Acronis handler so you can mount or just open Acronis archives directly from within Explorer. All Windows image backuppers I know do this kind of integration into the Explorer right-click menu. And this is a useful feature, I cannot see any reason why a user would want to remove this integration.

But each to his own, you can easily remove this integration by using a tool which manages your Explorer right-click menu. And finally you can completely avoid all this "whiz-bang hidden stuff" by simply using True Image from the Rescue Media without installing it at all...

Cheers
    manolito

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Thanks for the clarification Manolito

Pete

5. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

the suggestion of semantics is a matter of opinion since neither of us truly know how SZ is implemented or prepared in 2015. i do however know how it was implemented in earlier acronis versions

what on earth are you talking about, did you even read the link i posted? no one is talking about right click integration or file association lol. it is not 'right click integration that all programs do' maybe a screenshot will help you as acronis is the only program i have tried with such intrusive integration.

also, in your previous posts you suggested disabling 2 acronis services and now suggest using a tool to remove right click integration and make no mention of how to remove the extra tab in file explorer along with suggesting the use of acronis as just a boot cd as to avoid my issues with it. careful buddy, your starting to sound like a fanboy.. how about i just a use an imaging program which lets the user picks what features, options and integration they want? lol

Capture.JPG

6. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

The last time I tried Acronis I had all sorts of problems trying to remove it.

I had to go in and remove registry items and folders. And still I had to Google to find more leftovers.

And it slowed my shutdown by a very long time.

7. marzametal

@treehouse786
    I disable all 3 Acronis Windows Services when I am not using ATI. Although I don't go near incremental/differential backups; all of my **** is on USB portables...

lol @ your screenshot... out of all the directory properties to pick, you pick uTorrent... that's hilarious.

In regards to that tab you have highlighted, on http://www.nirsoft.net you will find "ShellExView". That little app will show, most likely 6 Acronis entries. Mucking around with those will remove the extra tab. If you want all remnants hidden (EG: right click etc...), just disable all. I just noticed that it can also hide Windows Backup tab (look for "Previous Versions Property Page" - should be two). Reboot is required if memory serves me correctly. I can't make comments on v2014 since I wasn't into backups/recovery when that version was active.

Don't worry about that guys post. I punched my screen when I read it, especially the "I cannot see any reason why a user would want to remove this integration. But each to his own" part. Know it all, much? Don't tell me how I use my computer... phlegm-wad...

@Hadron
    I don't think you are the only one. This application seems to be on its rags 24/7...

8. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

thanks marzametal for providing a method to disable the extra tab, however i personally don't like the idea of disabling services and using third party programs to disable reg entries on a program as critical as an imaging program. good info for those who don't mind interfering with an imaging programs intended behaviour though.

9. marzametal

Agreed, for those who have a slew of personal stuff floating around their system... fair enough... leave it as is. Sorta' sucks for those who have been ATI users for a while. They expect improvements as each version is released, not setbacks and feature stripping...

There is a big punch on over on their forum at the moment about their recovery media not detecting USB3 external disks... I think they are waiting for Windows 10 to be released as a retail product before they release a fix.

10. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.