Acronis TI-9 & whole disk encryption (SafeGuard Easy)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by McGarrett, Sep 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McGarrett

McGarrett Registered Member

Can someone knowledegable please answer this question:
    I know that Acronis does not recommend imaging an encrypted drive. However, I took the chance to see how TI 9 would react. I Imaged my internal drive (180 Gig) to an external Maxtor drive using a boot disc. Before the Image was created TI stated that there were bad sectors that would require a sector by sector Image, and asked if I would exit or continue. I continued. The process took about 10 hours. Ten hours later the process completes and says it was completed with errors. I do a boot disc restore to see if it accomplished the job succesfully, and another ten hours later it says, Image restored sucessfully and I boot right into my encrypted log in password requirement. I put in my passphrase and log into Windows perfectly. In fact, everything was perfect, except for one thing that I can't understand. The size of the Image that I made was a tiny bit over the 180 gigs that is the size of my hard drive. The actual size of my Image should have been around 40 gigs. WHYo_O?? Why did TI need to create an image of that size if the data amount was so much lesso_O? Thank you so very much.....

2. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Okay, I'm not that knowledegable :)
    But my guess: you're disk has been completely encrypted. So, TI can not 'see' the data-only part of the disk, because the disk is encrypted and access can only be done through the encryption program. As a result, TI has to do a complete sector-by-sector image to make sure your system is copied completely.

I hope this makes some sense :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.