Acronis TI-9 & whole disk encryption (SafeGuard Easy)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by McGarrett, Sep 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McGarrett

McGarrett Registered Member

Can someone knowledegable please answer this question:
    I know that Acronis does not recommend imaging an encrypted drive. However, I took the chance to see how TI 9 would react. I Imaged my internal drive (180 Gig) to an external Maxtor drive using a boot disc. Before the Image was created TI stated that there were bad sectors that would require a sector by sector Image, and asked if I would exit or continue. I continued. The process took about 10 hours. Ten hours later the process completes and says it was completed with errors. I do a boot disc restore to see if it accomplished the job succesfully, and another ten hours later it says, Image restored sucessfully and I boot right into my encrypted log in password requirement. I put in my passphrase and log into Windows perfectly. In fact, everything was perfect, except for one thing that I can't understand. The size of the Image that I made was a tiny bit over the 180 gigs that is the size of my hard drive. The actual size of my Image should have been around 40 gigs. WHYo_O?? Why did TI need to create an image of that size if the data amount was so much lesso_O? Thank you so very much.....

2. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Okay, I'm not that knowledegable :)
    But my guess: you're disk has been completely encrypted. So, TI can not 'see' the data-only part of the disk, because the disk is encrypted and access can only be done through the encryption program. As a result, TI has to do a complete sector-by-sector image to make sure your system is copied completely.

I hope this makes some sense :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.