Acronis TI 10 and Windows System Restore.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by babac, Apr 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. babac

babac Registered Member

Hi everyone (including myself),

I read over in the User's Guide the descriptiom of WSR and cannot really understand its usefullnes.

Apart from turning it off and on, what else can it do for me that the original WSR does not do?
    Thank you!

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

What are you referring too? WSR allows you to return to an earlier point in time. I don't know what you mean by original WSR.

3. babac

babac Registered Member

Hi Thomasjk,
    What I call the original WRS is the one included with Windows xp.(of course).
    Thank you!

4. MTX

MTX Registered Member

If ATI 10 works well, you can actually disable WSR (Windows System restore).

5. babac

babac Registered Member

Hi,
    Well, I come back to my original question: What's the usefulness of WRS in Acronis as it already exists in Windows Xp.
    Thank you.

6. writedom

writedom Registered Member

Here's one:
    If you download a nasty virus, System Restore will NOT help you, ATI will by overwriting the operating system and related files (no more virus).

I lost faith with system restore after I caught a nasty virus and no matter how early I restored to the virus was still there. Now, using imaging software I can wipe out all viruses and return the system to it's virgin state.

System restore wastes valuable disk space. You can use ATI and disable System Restore (which deletes restore points, freeing up disk space)

7. BillyPig

BillyPig Registered Member

As you know, Windows System Restore (WSR) provides a limited capability to restore your PC. Specifically, it will allow you to back out certain changes to your PC. WSR cannot recover from all types of failure, nor is in intended to do so (that's why we have backup programs). I am aware of a couple of issues with WSR:

1. It uses up disk space to hold the old copies of your programs and data.
    2. It is not very well documented (so take a look here: http://bertk.mvps.org/index.html). I don't like "magic" features; I like to know what a thing does.

Even so, I've used it many times to get me out of a fix (usually to undo the mess created by a recent program install), so I would not recommend that you disable it unless you have good reason to do so. If you DO decide to disable it then you should review your backup strategy and ensure that you can restore easily and quickly from the kind of failures that WSR guards against. This probably amounts to checking that you back up as often as you need to and keeping a very good record of changes to your hardware and software.

In my view, TI and WSR are complementary (or do I mean complimentary ?); they perform different, overlapping functions. I certainly wouldn't rely upon WSR as my only means of backup, but I like the ease with which WSR allows me to roll-back a change reaktively easily and quickly. If WSR fails, I can do a full restore using TI.

I don't think that TI provides anything to REPLACE WSR, but if you make good use of the features of TI, then you might not need WSR.

Hope this helps,

Pete K

8. shieber

shieber Registered Member

The Acronis feature is merely the ability from within ATI to turn Windows System Restore Off (or back on) if you want to. Some folks feel that, with ATI disk images at hand, there's little need for Windows System Restore.

9. babac

babac Registered Member

That's exactly what I was thinking and the answer I was looking for.

I hardly can figure out how this ATI WSR could eliminate a virus, for example...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.