Acronis Startup Recovery Mananger

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by horn, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. horn

horn Registered Member

Is it advicable to have Startup Recovery Manager activated or not.
    I have True Image Server 8.0 (build 76:cool: and Disk Director Suite 9.0 (build51:cool:, but this one instaled not in Windows-only as stand alone in boot sequenze ,acting as OS Selector.
    In case of let say XP Pro crash ,to recover demaged drive , which one of a/m mentioned programs I should use.
    NB: cool means "8" dont know why this happend try to edit but is not possible.

2. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

the "cool" face shows up with an 8 next to a ) with no space between them. Sometimes that one is a pain - you can fix it with a space between 'em though.

3. horn

horn Registered Member

Any one answer my question, please.

4. wideglide36

wideglide36 Registered Member

horn,

I can give you my opinion if I had this to do all over again.

I would not activate the startup recovery manager.

You can recover from the CD.

Apparently the Startup Recovery Manager does something with the MBR and that is what led to a lot of my problems.

Had to replace the hard drive as the Dell system recovery utility would not work. I suspect it was because I had activated the Startup Recovery Manager.

As I said, this is just my opinion. I could be totally wrong. All the luck.

5. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

I agree with wideglide36,

on his advice about not activating SRM. Activating SRM will modify the MBR (hence wideglide's troubles) and disable F8 for booting into Win Safe Mode.

There is no point messing with the SRM now that you can start a restore of the system partition from within Windows in a quite friendly procedure.

6. rlprlp

rlprlp Registered Member

DON'T take this as advice... try it for yourself. You see, I just purchased TI 2 days ago, and I am very new to computers, but... I have the recovery manager activated on my HP desktop with XP Home, and I am still able to use safe mode. I just start tapping F8 when the cursor drops below the Acronis message "Press F11...".

7. horn

horn Registered Member

Thak you all for replays.
    Best of luck

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello horn,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

I am sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that in order to restore the system you can use Acronis True Image 8.0 Server for Windows. The Acronis Startup Recovery Manager enables starting Acronis True Image (its standalone version) without loading the operating system. With this feature, if the operating system won't load for some reason, you can run Acronis True Image by itself to restore damaged partitions. As opposed to booting from Acronis removable media, you will not need a separate media or network connection to start Acronis True Image.

Please also note that if you use Acronis OS Selector you do not need to activate Acronis Startup Recovery Manager. Having created Acronis Secure Zone you will get option in Acronis OS Selector main window to boot from it. It will loads the stanalone version of Acronis True Image (the same as when you boot your computer from Acronis True Image Bootable CD or use F11 to boot Acronis Startup Recovery Manager).

I would also like to correct bVolk, Acronis Startup Recovery Manager if activated does not disable F8 for booting into Windows Safe Mode. As rlprlp said in order to boot into Windows Safe Mode you should press F8 after the "Press F11 for Acronis Startup Recovery Manager" message appears.

I would also recommend you to take a look at this FAQ article explaining the reason why we do not recommend creating Acronis Secure Zone on a detachable drive.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

9. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hello Aleksandr,

I'm awfully sorry if I misled somebody, but I was just forwarding the confirmation given by Acronis Support in post #6 of this thread

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=767252#post767252

Was there any notice that this issue had been fixed?

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bVolk,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Thank you for pointing to this post. I have contacted Acronis Development Team once again and they assured me that Acronis Startup Recovery Manager does not disable F8 for booting into Windows Safe Mode.

Sorry for misleading you with that post by Kirill.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

11. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hello Aleksandr,

I'm afraid my "SRM Hatepage" will look pretty bleak from now on. :D

Of course I'm glad you have cleared this up.

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.