acronis server 8

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by afsnj, Nov 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. afsnj

afsnj Registered Member

I try and keep our system backed up as safely as possible, but it is not my primary skill. Our server is about 6 years old and needs to be updated. The accounts and permissions are too many to re-create. We have just bought an updated server with different hardware. I want to move everything over to the new server and retire the outdated one. I tried to restore the server image, but Windows 2000 server won't restart because it doesn't recognize the newer SCSI disks. Repairing Server 2000 doesn't have that 2nd repair
    step WinXP has, so I can't complete it. It also formats the new disk to just the size of the original disks even though the new disks are larger.
    Is there any way to get around this?
    thanks
    Mark

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello afsnj,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

Please download the latest build (1002) of Acronis True Image 8.0 Server. In order to get access to updates you should register account on our site (or just log in if you have already created it) and then register your copy of the product. After that please see whether the problem persists.

Also please provide us with the more detailed information about the issue. Please describe all your actions before the issue appears step-by-step.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

3. afsnj

afsnj Registered Member

Dear Help,
    I have installed build 1018, and made a full image of our existing server's
    C drive. When I copy it to the new server, I keep getting a blue screen
    saying STOP 0x0000007b (0xF601f84c, 0x0000034, 0x00000000,0x00000000
    INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

I seems from what I'm reading in the posts that I will have to run sysprep
    but If there's anyone who can walk me through the commands I need to
    set up it would be most helpful. I am not an IT guy and need lots of help.
    The original server Dell 1400 uses Adaptec AIC-7899 Ultra160/m SCSI
    and the new Dell 2800 has an Adaptec 39160 and something from LSI that
    shows in the boot screen.

Thanks,
    Mark
    afsnj

4. Acronis Support

Hello afsnj,

Please download the lates update (101:cool: of Acronis True Image 8.0 Server for Windows which is available in the Product Updates section of our web-site.

Here is the basic scheme of transferring the operating system to a different hardware:

- Prepare your Windows for transferring using Microsoft System Preparation Tool (sysprep) as it is described in this FAQ article;

- Create an image of the prepared Windows;

- Restore this image to the desired location;

You can also use disk cloning approach instead of creating an image.
    Please connect your new hard drive to the old computer and use Disk Clone tool in Acronis True Image 8.0 Server for Windows. Please note that we recommend you to unplug one of the hard drives right after the disk cloning process has been finished, since keeping both original and cloned hard drives connected might cause different boot or drive letter assignment problems.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

5. afsnj

afsnj Registered Member

Dear support,
    I'm running the 1018 build. Went thru the steps to run Sysprep.
    It starts, then second box says "Sysprep can not be run on a machine
    which is a member of a network domain. Please remove the computer from
    the domain and rerun sysprep."
    Our server is the Domain computer. What do I do now?
    Thanks,
    Mark

6. Acronis Support

Hello afsnj,

I'm sorry for Tatyana's and Irina's previous posts. I believe that some misunderstanding took place.

The point is that we do not guarantee the successful transferring of your operating system to a different hardware.

However, the basic scheme of transferring the operating system to a computer with the different hardware configuration is as follows:

- Prepare your Windows for transferring using Microsoft System Preparation Tool (sysprep) as it is described in this FAQ article;

- Either create an image of the prepared Windows and then restore this image to the desired location or use Clone Disk wizard to transfer the entire contents of your old hard drive to the new disk;

- Try to boot as usual;

- If it does not boot then please do the following (depending on the operating system you use):

- Boot the computer from Windows 95/98/ME Startup Disk and run "fdisk /mbr" command;

- Boot the computer from Windows 2000/XP Installation CD and run "fixmbr" command in Recovery Console;

- In case it still does not boot, perform Windows Repair Installation as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If you have any questions concerning the usage of Microsoft System Preparation Tool then please contact Microsoft Support Team. I believe they will help you.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

P.S. You might also find this previous thread interesting.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Last edited: Sep 17, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.