Acronis Ransomware Protection

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by guest, Jan 25, 2018.

1. guest

guest Guest

Acronis_AntiRansomware.png
    Active Protection:
    File-level continuous backup to Acronis Cloud:
    Acronis Ransomware Protection v1.0.1310.0 (January 24, 2018)
    Website
    Release Notes
    Knowledge Base

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

All I want from Acronis is a reliable and fast backup and restore. All they have done is clutter up the program with garbage.

3. guest

guest Guest

The Ransomware Protection ("Active Protection") seems to be included in the backup program Acronis True Image
    Found it in the FAQ

4. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Interesting stuff, can't wait for Cruelsister's test. :thumb:

EDIT: Just tried to install it via Sandboxie, but it only makes my GPU go crazy, doesn't give me a lot of faith.

5. guest

guest Guest

I wouldn't install such applications with Sandboxie (for example it is preventing kernel drivers from being installed or it may prevent the communication between sandboxed/unsandboxed processes).
    A VM is much better for this and you might have less issues.

6. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Rasheed- I'm actually working on it now (sadly it will take many hours). Although I personally like it, Ophelia (my cat) thinks she can breach it quite easily in a number of ways.

We'll see...

7. Rasheed187

Yes I understand. But a lot of similar apps will at least install correctly. The ones that don't usually install themselves too "deeply" into the system. For example, AppCheck install just fine, the GUI runs correctly, but it won't work because the driver isn't installed obviously.

LOL, I bet your cat is pretty cool. BTW, what is your opinion about ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware, has it been improved?

https://www.zonealarm.com/anti-ransomware/

8. guest

guest Guest

Acronis Ransomware Protection review
    January 29, 2018
    https://www.ghacks.net/2018/01/29/acronis-ransomware-protection-review/

9. Moose World

Moose World Registered Member

Greetings/Salutations,

I read that some individuals where having problems trying to uninstall Acronis Ransomware Protection.
    If you need to uninstall for any reason. Simply, use the same download that you use to install the
    Acronis Ransomware Protection. Double click on the install, but this time it will say Uninstall. That is it!

Always the best,

10. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

It is possible for the software to work on other Windows operating systems, but it is not guaranteed.

Has anyone tried it on xp or vista

11. cruelsister

Rasheed- I had a chance to check out ZAM AR. Perhaps in a couple of weeks. It would be an easy (and short) video to make, if you catch my drift...

12. guest

guest Guest

Acronis Ransomware Protection v1.0.1340.0 (Build 1340) Released (January 30, 2018)
    Website
    Release Notes

13. cruelsister

The previous builds installed Bonjour by Apple (zero configuration networking service); the new build has dropped this. Fortunately protection is the same as I already completed a video.

14. Peter2150

Can't wait

15. Moose World

Moose World Registered Member

Can you install over the previous version and/or do you need to uninstall?

16. Rasheed187

Interesting that they are monitoring code injection, but apparently it's prone to false positives and it needs an internet connection to function correctly, major turnoff!

OK thanks. BTW, how many ransomware variants are you using in your tests? I was checking out this site, and it recognizes 544 variants, but I suppose most of them are working about the same?

https://id-ransomware.malwarehunterteam.com/

17. guest

guest Guest

Acronis Ransomware Protection v1.0.1470.0 (Build 1470) Released (March 13, 2018)
    Website
    Release Notes
    What’s new
    • Issue fixes and other improvements.
    Fixed issues
    • Several folders and registry keys are not deleted after the product uninstallation.
    • On Windows 8.1 with one CPU and no video card drivers installed, AcronisRansomwareProtectionSetup.exe consumes 100 percent CPU during the .net installation.
    • The notification "Active Protection service is not available" appears during update.
    • The application plays the Windows navigation sound when minimized to the icon in the Windows notification area.
    • The application processes sometimes lead to 100 percent CPU usage after rerunning the processes automatically.
    • It is possible to manage processes in the permission list when Active Protection is turned off.
    Known issues
    • [ARP-1050] An application previously blocked in the permission list is blocked again after the product reinstallation.
    • [ARP-1025] If you update the product and then sign out, the login field is not autocompleted.
    • [ARP-1020] Some elements are missing from the main window if the screen resolution is changed to a lower one.
    • [ARP-949] The drop zone becomes inactive after creating a backup.
    • [ARP-861] The backup statistics are not cleaned up after the backup deletion.
    • [ARP-740] After reboot, the blocked processes from the permission list reappear as monitored ones.
    • [ARP-233] The sign-in window is truncated when scaling the display 150 percent or more.

18. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

I tend to agree. I got their software Acronis True Image and it's not what I expected.

19. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

And...Acronis failed me for a 2nd time to restore a validated windows image.

20. guest

guest Guest

Acronis Ransomware Protection v2.1.1700.0 (Build 1700) Released (December 17, 2018)
    Website
    Release Notes
    What’s new
    • Issue fixes and other improvements.
    Known issues
    • [ARP-1050] An application previously blocked in the permission list is blocked again after the product reinstallation.
    • [ARP-1025] If you update the product and then sign out, the login field is not autocompleted.
    • [ARP-1020] Some elements are missing from the main window if the screen resolution is changed to a lower one.
    • [ARP-949] The drop zone becomes inactive after creating a backup.
    • [ARP-861] The backup statistics are not cleaned up after the backup deletion.
    • [ARP-740] After reboot, the blocked processes from the permission list reappear as monitored ones.
    • [ARP-233] The sign-in window is truncated when scaling the display 150 percent or more.

21. wdhaven

wdhaven Registered Member

Will this work along side Bitdefender Free?

22. Rasheed187

I don't see why not. It's not an AV, it's purely behavioral monitoring based. Of course in theory they can still conflict, so the only way to know for sure is to test it.

23. hawki

hawki Registered Member

24. ance

ance formerly: fmon

Does it apply to latest version as well? :eek:

25. Peter2150

I wish Acronis wish stick to it's roots. I am using Acronis, but a turn all that stuff off. I wouldn't rely on it

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.