Acronis products won't install

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by fritzz, Sep 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fritzz

fritzz Registered Member

I had installed Acronis True Image 10.0.4942 and Disk Director 10.0.2161 on a Windows XP Home SP3 computer. For some reasons I wanted to split a data partition (NOT the system partition) into two separate partitions with DD. I wish I hadn't tried!

The split itself worked fine. Unfortunately, TI and DD didn't work properly any more after the split. Both programs were "hanging" after they were started.

OK, I checked all disks for errors with chkdsk myself. No problems were found. Finally I reformatted the empty partition with Windows. There are no problems whatsoever accessing data in those partitions with other Windows programs. However, Acronis products just didn't work any more.

My next step was to deinstall TI and DD and reinstall again. I had some problems with deinstalling, and finally used the Acronis cleanup utility to remove all traces of Acronis products. Also used the MS Windows installer cleanup utility. Rebooted PC and started the install procedure.

Well, first everything looks fine. Several files are copied to the proper folders, but just before the end the installation suddenly stops and hangs ("please wait..."). This is true for both TI and DD.

I also tried some of the recommended tricks such as activating certain COM+ services or cleaning the TEMP folder, but to no avail.

Now I have a fully functional system with no apparent traces of previous Acronis installations, but cannot install Acronis products any more. Weird. Does anybody have any ideas? Thanks.

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Most likely candidates are disk probs (run chkdsk/r) and security software or other software conflict (try using msconfig.exe to remove everything except win services and see if install will work).

3. oldtimercurt

oldtimercurt Registered Member

I'm having same problem and have, as far as I know, done all the recommended things. However, as the attachment shows, I can't complete the task generation process.
    And yes, the Acronis download site was still down as of a few minutes ago.

OTC

4. oldtimercurt

Whoops, no attachment. 1st timer on this forum for attachment. Pasted screen capture to word but that's not allowed format. Sorry. Basically it's hanging after I selected disks and partitions for Data to Backup selection.

WTFo_O

OTC

5. oldtimercurt

After a L.....O.....N.....G wait (hours) Acronis finally finished its scan or whatever it was doing. I've scheduled a task (00:02 daily incremental with new full after six) and we'll see how it goes. I'm going to start it manually because I've missed a few days fooling with the program.

Wish me luck.

OTC

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello fritzz and oldtimercurt,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Most likely, the problem is caused by a conflict with Distributed Link Tracking Windows service. Please disable it and see if it solves the problem. It can be disabled at Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Component Services -> Services (Local).

Please see this thread for more information.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.