Acronis just spits out the DVD disc!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Ciderman, Jan 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ciderman

Ciderman Registered Member

When I try to make a bootable media on a TDK DVD-R disk Acronis shows an error message and spits out the disk right after it has tried to access it. I've made sure the discs are clean and I have tried several discs. It doesn't work. In the wizard it only asks me to chose CD-R/CD-RW. Isn't DVD's supported?? Elsewhere I've read it supports DVD's!

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

The default type of media for making a bootable device is CD. Someone else here provided a way to make a TI bootable DVD that involves using UltraISO. Do a search for it.

Edit: I'll save you the trouble, here's the link to it: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=115561

3. Ciderman

Ok, I've checked the link and read some threads here, and I get the feeling Acronis isn't good at burning on discs at all. It says in the manual that it supports DVD's too! If I can't even make a bootable DVD this program is useless. :thumbd:

I don't have an external harddrive to use either. I need it on DVD's!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2006
  4. Ciderman

Well, it is easy to make an image and store it on another partition. Just right click on the harddrive I want to back up and follow through the wizard, but I can't find a way to put it on DVD. Usually there should be a disc writing guide that comes when you install windows, but for some strange reason it isn't there this time. I can't seem to be able to burn a disc at all. I don't get it. So...I guess I will have to download some 3rd party software for DVD burning, but what worries me is how I will be able to restore the system if I whould get a complete harddrive failure. Could someone give me a clue what to do here? I whould really like to use Acronis for both making a bootable disc and to restore the system from a disc image on DVD. I checked the forum for the UltraISO program, but I don't know if that program works to do what I want to do.

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Ciderman,

If you merely wish to create the TI bootable rescue media then use a blank CD-R or CD+/-RW; there really is little sense in using a 4.7GB disk to hold 2.8 MB of data, even if it were possible.

As for creating images to DVD, have a read of <Acronis True Image 9 Online FAQ #27>. This <previous reply of mine> should also help.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.