acronis boot disk hangs at start-up

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mjrtop, May 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjrtop

mjrtop Registered Member

Based on what I read on this forum I decided to do the back-up and restore image rather than the "clone" method to transfer my complete "C" drive to a new larger drive. I cut a boot-up recovery CD in accordance with the Acronis wizard (V 9.0 build 3,854). After doing my full backup of "C", I rebooted using the recover CD. All I got as it began the boot-up process was, "Starting Acronis Loader..." After staring at this on my screen for 30 minutes, my patience wore down and I reached the conclusion that nothing was going to happen. I have noticed a lot of similar(but not the same as mine) problems on this forum, but no clear answers. Any help would be appreciated. I have used TI for quite a while, but I have, fortunately, never needed a restore. Since the heart and soul of a back-up and restore program is it's ability to boot without using a hard drive, why does this problem appear to be so rampant?
    Thanks

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

You won't be able to restore your boot drive unless you can boot TI Recovery CD (or make a BartPE boot disk). So, at this point, you don't have a backup system because you can't restore yet. Fortunately, you have found this out while your system is still working well.

You didn't say what hardware you are using TI 9 on and what operating system? Is it a newer system than TI 9? TI 9 is two or three years old. (TI 11 was introduced in the fall of 2007, TI 10 was the fall of 2006, and TI 9 was the fall of 2005.

Is your computer 2006 or newer? Do you have SATA hard drives or RAID?

My guess is that TI 9 is too old to support your motherboard, drives, etc. If I am correct, then download the Trial version of TI 11 and see if that Rescue CD will boot your system.

Alternatively, you could create a BartPE boot disk which uses Windows and Windows drivers and is more likely to support your hardware.

3. mjrtop

mjrtop Registered Member

Thanks for you response. I have a Dell 2400 dimension desktop, OS XP sp2, which predates my TI 9.0. However, I''ll try your suggestion about TI 11. But you are right. I have been religously backing-up and blissfully thinking I was covered in case of a problem. Never again will I take an estblished application at its word without testing it immediately. While this does not provide assurance that it will work in the future, at least there is a greater comfort level if you know it owrked out of the box. By the way, BartPE gave me a warning while building it's directory and files that there could be a problem because of the OEM XP OS in the Dell. It was right . It bombed while trying to burn the CD because it could not find 10 files in its directory.. I found that amazing. Good old Dell. I let the forum know how the TI 11 trial Recovery CD works.

4. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

From what I've seen, when that "Starting Acronis Loader .... " goes nowhere it is because you have some piece of hardware (attached or wireless) that True Image does not have the drivers for - the cd uses Linux.

So if you have any devices attached that you can remove, for the time being, do so and if your keyboard and mouse are the wireless or usb types, try the standard types if the box has the connectors for them.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mjrtop,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If you are not able to create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) then please do the following:

- Boot your computer from Acronis Bootable Rescue Media and press F11 key when the selection screen advising you to select either "Full", "Safe" or "Boot into Windows" option appears.
    - After you get the "Linux kernel command line" prompt, remove the word "quiet", click on the OK button and choose "Full Version".

When the screen stop scrolling please write down the output information you receive (last 5-10 lines), or use a digital camera to make shots of the output screen. You can use Shift+PgUp and Shift+PgDn keys to scroll the screen manually.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will do our best to investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.