Acronis Backup Server fault: backups lost?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by MicheleMaran, Jun 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MicheleMaran

MicheleMaran Registered Member

I'm evaluating Acronis True Image Echo Enterprise Server and all management tools. I installed centralized image backup solution in minute.
    I verified that backup archive usign backup Backup Server are completely different from standard .tib files generated directly in file system without Backup Server.
    For this reason i made an important question :
    In case of hardware disaster of backup server itself (completely hardware fault) how i can retrieve valid images from backup location used by faulted backup server ? Files are named with guid naming (58F316F5-4D3B-4026-9985-788590023BE6) and no extension : any attemp to rename it with tib extension and open in explorer give an error of archive corrupted or not an acronis true image echo archive.

I try to navigate in backup server menù, help and other documents but I did not find anything about this situation.

It seems to be an unrecovery situation in wich all backups are lost although file backup are OK.

Thanks for helping.
    Michele

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello MicheleMaran,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Remote Server Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Please be aware that Acronis Backup Server manages backups via database approach, so archives are split and named automatically to fit database structure.

Acronis True Image Echo Enterprise Server can export archives from Acronis Backup Server in the form of custom named .tib files as well. Please see chapter 4.5 "Managing backup server" of Acronis True Image Echo Workstation User's Guide for instructions.

In case of hardware fault you should be able to access Acronis Backup Server archives after restoring the operating system with the installation of Acronis Backup Server (which would include database structure information) from a separate backup. It's usually recommended to install Acronis Backup Server on a separate machine that would be used exclusively for backup storage.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

3. IronChef

IronChef Registered Member

So if the building that houses all of our servers burns to the ground, our backups are useless because the backup server and the database of backup files are now ashes, even though backup media are rotated offsite?

Your solution to this is to backup the backup server, but how can I restore this without the original backup server if the backups aren't .tib files? Chicken and the egg.

I could always create .tib backups of the Acronis server, but this would have to be done every time the database of backup files changes, which is every time a backup occurs. This is just stupid.

Surely backup files can be imported to a completely different server somehow, otherwise everything is too dependant on a single computer and far too risky.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  4. Stalks

Stalks Registered Member

This is worrying me also. After buying True Image Home and using it for a few months now, I have been evaluating Server for Windows. What an underwhelming experience!

If only True Image Home worked on Windows Server. Having to install the Backup Server for any sort of managed backup location is a major disadvantage. I can not automatically manage backups to a NAS box as the client software for windows server doesn't support managed backup locations.

If I were to install the Backup Server to the Window Server machine then if the machine was to fail, I would be left with unusable backup media.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.