Accessing CC on Win2k Server

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 1 Forum' started by slider, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slider

slider Registered Member

I need some kind of a workaround to be able to access the NOD32 Control Center program when logged into a Windows 2000 Server through Terminal Server. I can kind of understand the security concern of allowing remote configuration, but realistically, this is not realistic for a server (pun intended, but ugh... do puns ever work? :doubt:). I have a server in another state that I manage and I'm afraid there's no way I can go to the console and log on... nor do I want any of the users there doing so, except under extreme circumstances.

2. rodzilla

rodzilla Registered Member

Maybe this will help ............

=====
    SOLVING THE NOD32 UPDATING PROBLEM UNDER WINDOWS NT/2000/XP

1. Introduction to the problem:

The Control Center runs under NT as a system. The system has not the access to the network by default. For this reason are some network clients having problems to integrate it. The updating of the client from the server has always to be performed through an user with the appropriate access rights. The username and password has to be entered in the Control Center on the client the best way in the following form:

domainname\username

2. Solving the problem:

a. With the server account

Enter to the Control Center on the client the username and password of the user which has an account on the server and access rights to the update directory and check the checkbox "Save password". In this case the Control Center acts as a system and gets the access rights to the update files on the server side. Should this not work, try the case b. below.

b. With the client account

Use or create a local user on the client with the access rights to the server update directory and enter it to the Control Center and check the checkbox "Save password". In this case the Control Center changes identity from the system account to the account of the specified user before accessing the network. With this setup the client network software handles the Control Center as an user and this reduces the incorrect behaviour of the client network software in some cases.
    =====

(Not my translation ... direct from Slovakia ... so excuse the spelling and grammar.)

3. slider

slider Registered Member

No, that's different. That's explaining how to gain access to the NOD32 update servers.

I can't get the NOD32 Control Center program to show when I'm trying to access it through a Terminal Server login. I just realized I've seen this before and it was (in that case) due to the code they used in the program telling the window to paint itself to the console output. It takes a specific command to tell it to do this, and this command can be generalized or dummied down so that the window gets painted to any output window (preferrably to the one from which the user is calling for the program, of course).

If the above is correct, telling NOD32 CC to launch from a Terminal Server session will cause the window to pop up on the console session if that same user is logged into botho_O I think that's how it works. Will test to see if this is the case. The kicker is that the CC system tray icon doesn't even show in a Terminal Server session, which strengthens the security theory I mentioned earlier.

4. slider

slider Registered Member

Heh, it does indeed paint it to the wrong window. I have a server 5 feet from me and logged the administrator in. I then logged into the same machine using Terminal Server using the same administrator account and went to Start -> Programs -> Eset -> Control Center and it did not launch the program for me. But I turned around and looked at the screen 5 feet from me and lo and behold there it was, and flashing itself on the taskbar to get my attention.

5. jan

jan Former Eset Moderator

Hey slider,

sorry for being here so late - the Beta consumes our time too. Nice that you found out the behaviour by yourself :). In the current version of NOD - the Control Center (CC) can be seen just on the console when using Terminal Services. The new NOD Beta behaves differently - a new window is opened on the clients and the CC is visible in there. You can check it out, if you want - the Beta announcement is here and the separate NOD Beta Forum here.

All the best :D

jan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.